Recommend me a movie.

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

madera

Re: Recommend me a movie.

Post by madera »

Blaggard wrote:I've seen about everything movie wise I can think of at least and am running out of ideas. So recommend me a movie...

To start the ball rolling: two movies I saw I liked recently This is the End, and The End of the World. Bit of a comedy thing, liked both: one is a sort of end of the world thing where Hollywood actors don't get to go to heaven, which is fair enough, the vacuous overpaid tarts, in which a load of actors play themselves in the end times Starring Seth Rogan and any one else you may have seen in most movies recently. The other is a Simon Peg thing (Shean of the Dead, Hot fuzz et al) where they have to do a pub crawl that ends in the End of the World pub, sounds dull, but their home town aint no ordinary town....

Would recommend both for being totally stupid and quite funny which is always the way. Ok not going to make my all time top 10 but none the less worth a view.

And if you are wondering what movies I like, well just about anything aside from musicals, so that should leave you enough scope and I did like Bugsy Malone and Les Miserable so... :)
"REMEMBER ME" very touching movie about a boy growing up without the love of his father.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

madera wrote:
Blaggard wrote:I've seen about everything movie wise I can think of at least and am running out of ideas. So recommend me a movie...

To start the ball rolling: two movies I saw I liked recently This is the End, and The End of the World. Bit of a comedy thing, liked both: one is a sort of end of the world thing where Hollywood actors don't get to go to heaven, which is fair enough, the vacuous overpaid tarts, in which a load of actors play themselves in the end times Starring Seth Rogan and any one else you may have seen in most movies recently. The other is a Simon Peg thing (Shean of the Dead, Hot fuzz et al) where they have to do a pub crawl that ends in the End of the World pub, sounds dull, but their home town aint no ordinary town....

Would recommend both for being totally stupid and quite funny which is always the way. Ok not going to make my all time top 10 but none the less worth a view.

And if you are wondering what movies I like, well just about anything aside from musicals, so that should leave you enough scope and I did like Bugsy Malone and Les Miserable so... :)
"REMEMBER ME" very touching movie about a boy growing up without the love of his father.
I have a such a good list now, thank you all. On the other hand I have such a back list, that I don't know if I will ever watch them all but meh. As a movie nerd, I likes the fact that I have more movies than time to watch, like a bookworm in a library, I am stuffed. But as a fan of movies if not large multinational companies who make them I do intend to pay the real creative minds at least, those who actually matter a damn in essence in the movie world. :)

Incidentaly I do intend to watch all your suggestions, but some of them aren't easy to find, so I'll get back to you. I can't afford to buy them all let's just say. :)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I just watched 21 And Over, and would highly recommend it, comedy, well done, funny throughout.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I am pretty sure this goes with out saying but if you liked The Hobbit: An Unexpected Joourney you will love The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

It has Stephen Fry in it as the Mayor of Lake Town and a sort of anti capitalist, noble pompous ass, riddled with gout, if you can believe it, that should be on its own enough, but it's a great sequel for Tolkien lovers, fantasy lovers and even people who like Harry Potter. Can't recommend it enough and I am so looking forward to part III, The Battle of the Five Armies is I think going to be epic. I mean Vampires, Werewolves, Orcs, Versus Eagles and Dwarves. You aint gonna miss that, even if you hate fantasy, although you might...

Few criticisms, The Legoland bits seemed needlessly extended, yes he was in The Hobbit in that he lived in that place where the Elves hang out, in Mirkwood, although he's not directly mentioned and plays no major role IIRC; allowing for artistic license though be warned, there's a lot of him: they do tend to use The Orlando Bloom - look at the pretty man, look at his eyes, ooooo those eyes you could get lost in them etc, which if you are a woman and like men you will probably love, but if you are a bloke you may find it a little too ooooooo look at the elf, shiny elf, ooooo, you may not, maybe you have a thing about Orlando Bloom who knows, but forewarned is forearmed - thing a little too much. It's also a little overly concerned with itself and Beorn (Half man half bear skin changer) seems to be making it up as he goes along, Smaug however is brilliantly realised and the Battle at Dol Goldur The HQ of the so called Necromancer (Won't spoiler it, if you loved The Lord of the Rings, let's just say you will absolutely love it.)

Actors to watch well that aren't CGI Thranduil (who you might remember as the Elf Lord in the first part who leaves Thorin to his fate) is brilliantly played as is Bard of Lake Town the son of its once Lord. Legoland's love interest and strangely Kili's (that'd be the artistic license again), also a very good piece of acting. Keep an eye open too for Azog the Defiler, and his henchmen and son Bolg The Bloody Thoroughly Not Nice, excellently well played antagonists, mostly CGI though of course.

SPOILER ALERT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_U6y8kJaY

I posted this on another thread, but it's a spoiler laden clip, so I suggest if you have not seen the film and not read The Hobbit, or by some miracle not seen The Lord of the Rings, never read The Book, and never want to and frankly find all fantasy a pile of shit, and thus by some odd quirk of fate, you want to see it without all the secrets that are revealed, you don't watch it.

SPOILER ALERT:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12519

It was this thread and it goes without saying if you don't want the whole set of films spoiled, don't click on the link, if you do and read the whole thing, you only have yourself to blame.

Ash nazg durbatulûk,
Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk
Agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Code: Select all

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/One_Ring_inscription.svg/500px-One_Ring_inscription.svg.png[/img]
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. ;)

If by some miracle you did watch all this, despite all the spoiler alerts you are a dummard. It's not my fault if you ignored the bold type. You are not a wizard or in Orkish a saruku, lit old man, or wise man. Sharku, Saruman, as he is known, old man, Sharkey and so on aka an old wise man and so on. I have no sympathy for your reading comprehension Saruku. ;)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Just watched World War Z, not a bad film, whilst it wont do much for my expertise on fighting the zombie apocalypse (I do think I am an expert on the subject given my credentials, ie having watched almost all the zombie films out there), all information is good information though.

It wasn't bad it lacked a lot of real character development that zombie movies tend to have, aside from I am Will Smith for obvious reasons, it really only developed Brad Pitts character, it was though very entertaining.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

I recommend Arthur watched it recently very close to the lore of Old England written by the priests of the time. I would also recommend Beowulf in the same light, an Anglo Saxon poem about a hero. Good films both that really uncover the Anglo Saxon past without being too fantasy and without being nonsense poems.

Sindon we bald, sindon we strang, sach ist the heor ach bin from and trum ach ist du wast. Der wicken and hast du the heor of alde, ear the her, ich act. cal ech du hist the heor. Grendel ach do waste ein hum wist du strangh and host mein heor ist fein from and mein hest ein trom hist ous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySQEbpNoKM

Ich not daemon heir? Ist du cona? Dost ich hea?

"mine is strength and lust and power, I am Beowulf!"

The Bee wolf. The bear.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Just saw this one. A very very good movie, highly recommended, although at some moment so much "sensitivity" and obsession with love relationships as the center of existence, is just exhausting. Sometimes we just need....(place here the last line of "Eyes Wide Shut").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV6mXIOVl4
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Anti recommendation. Hunger Games. Touted as being something marvellous. What a stinking pile of American horse-shit that is. It'a also a rip-off of Rollerball.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Everything is a rip off of anything, it's hard to be original these days.

"There is nothing new under the sun."

They were saying that 2 and a half thousand years ago in the Bible how much more true is it now.

If you want to watch a good old time movie I recommend Ice cold in Alex, if you have not seen it before it's worth waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYKeeTz7Yw

Carlsberg probably the best lager in the world, hell a donkeys fermented piss would be the best lager in the world after that trek. :D
vegetariantaxidermy

Blaggard wrote:Everything is a rip off of anything, it's hard to be original these days.

"There is nothing new under the sun."

They were saying that 2 and a half thousand years ago in the Bible how much more true is it now.

If you want to watch a good old time movie I recommend Ice cold in Alex, if you have not seen it before it's worth waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYKeeTz7Yw

Carlsberg probably the best lager in the world, hell a donkeys fermented piss would be the best lager in the world after that trek. :D
At first I thought it was one of those Mitchell and Webb-type spoofs. That was until I recognised John Mills lol. I love John Mills. I'll have a look at it.
My favourite old films would be 'The Trap' with Oliver Reed, 'The Third Man,' and 'Gaslight. '
sjeff70

Post by sjeff70 »

I actively seek out the 60s, particularly for the story lines and the actresses. It seems like this was the decade where women were the most attractive and not just because of their physical beauty. I happened by 'Picasso Summer' a few weeks ago and Yvette Mimieux just knocked me out. The movie is wacky but Alice was such a sweetheart.
vegetariantaxidermy

sjeff70 wrote:I actively seek out the 60s, particularly for the story lines and the actresses. It seems like this was the decade where women were the most attractive and not just because of their physical beauty. I happened by 'Picasso Summer' a few weeks ago and Yvette Mimieux just knocked me out. The movie is wacky but Alice was such a sweetheart.
That true. Think of those gorgeous English actresses like Julie Christie, Charlotte Rampling and Suzannah York etc. Hollywood actresses today have no character. They all tend to look the same due to cosmetic surgery. There's a big difference between having naturally full lips, and having a great big fat fake trout mouth. Renee Zelweiger has had all the character taken out of her face and she now looks nothing like herself.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

They have to do it so they can still appear young in films, the irony is it's such a turn off to most people, you look like someone who had their face stretched so far that your chin is on your ears, and you look bloody ridiculous.
sjeff70

Post by sjeff70 »

Those are good ones. Jane Fonda ('Barbarella') ...but now I'm getting into left field. She'd probably like to give that one back but wow, what a fire cracker.