Gender Research Project

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

studentresearcher

Gender Research Project

Post by studentresearcher »

I am a current student researching videos that have been posted of males performing traditionally female dance routines on sites such as YouTube and the comments that are left by the audience. I would be really interested to hear any thoughts on this topic. I have provided a link to the type of video I am researching below this comment. I would really appreciate comments on themes such as heteronormative discourse, ideas around whether sexuality can be visually represented, thoughts on the type of comments that are left and why this may be... any general comments would also be appreciated. Many Thanks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=81RKVG4dFcA
Melchior

Re: Gender Research Project

Post by Melchior »

studentresearcher wrote:I am a current student researching videos that have been posted of males performing traditionally female dance routines on sites such as YouTube and the comments that are left by the audience. I would be really interested to hear any thoughts on this topic. I have provided a link to the type of video I am researching below this comment. I would really appreciate comments on themes such as heteronormative discourse, ideas around whether sexuality can be visually represented, thoughts on the type of comments that are left and why this may be... any general comments would also be appreciated. Many Thanks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=81RKVG4dFcA
What is 'heteronormative discourse'? Do you know what the word 'gender' refers to?
studentresearcher

Hi yes sorry if I wasn't clear. I am interested in heteronormative discourse displayed in the comments left by the audience due to the dancer performing a routine that is not traditionally masculine, and as a result the questioning of the dancers sexuality. As a social constructionist I believe that sexuality also comes in hand with gender. This piece is very much taken from a queer theory stance. If this is still unclear please let me know.
studentresearcher

Heteronormative discourse is written or spoke communication that assumes heterosexuality as the norm. Sorry I meant to put that in my other message, hope that helps.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

studentresearcher wrote:Heteronormative discourse is written or spoke communication that assumes heterosexuality as the norm. Sorry I meant to put that in my other message, hope that helps.
Why should that even be mentioned? It is the norm.

And you are using the word 'gender' incorrectly. It is a term of linguistics.

Also, what has this to do with 'philosophy'? It seems to be some sort of psychology experiment.