If things were meant to be better why wasn't it created that

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bus2bondi

If things were meant to be better why wasn't it created that

Post by bus2bondi »

Way in thee first place? I am very confused.
bus2bondi

Re: If things were meant to be better why wasn't it created

Post by bus2bondi »

I don't understand why if the goal of humanity is for things to be better why wasn't it created that way in the first place? I can't be the only one who has ever asked this question and i am very confused why i am even asking it?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

everybody wants to rule the world...

-Imp
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

bus2bondi wrote:I don't understand why if the goal of humanity is for things to be better why wasn't it created that way in the first place? I can't be the only one who has ever asked this question and i am very confused why i am even asking it?
BB,
Unlike the vast majority of those who have been religiously indoctrinated, you have found and recognized one of the flaws in your belief system. You are stuck with that insignt. That leaves you with two options.

1. Become an atheist. That is the customary alternative, and no one would fault you for it, except me. Well, maybe some religious friends and family.

2. Re-evaluate the definition of the God in whom you've been taught to believe. Perhaps he's not omnipotent, and screwed up creation. Maybe he did not create the human soul, but has chosen to train it for life in a difficult universe, like Vince Lombardi trained football players to win in the NFL (none of them ever said that playing for him was fun). There are other alternatives.

If you are ready to consider Option 2, try beon-cpt.com, and read no more than a page of it per week. Re-read the previously read page before moving on. Good luck! Keep questioning.

Gl
uwot

Post by uwot »

You'd be better off reading Leibniz Theodicy, in which the man who co-invented infinitesimal calculus and all round clever clogs, tackles that issue. Voltaire's Candide is worth reading as a counterpoint.
hammock

Post by hammock »

bus2bondi wrote:If things were meant to be better why wasn't it created that [...] Way in thee first place? I am very confused.

"Created"? So I take it that you want the culmination of this inquiry in the context and tradition of that classic crossbreeding of Platonism and Abrahamic beliefs?

God - as its lingering devotees of the Enlightenment era came to regard such - God housed a countless quantity of intellectual affairs (concepts, essences, formulas / instructions for entities, etc). In other words, God either assimilated or became synonymous with the [Greek / Scholastic developed] world of ideas. But how was such a multitude of thinkable possibilities to be concretely realized or brought into physical co-existence with each other in a consistent, non-contradictory way (integrated and expressed as a natural system / universe)?

Well, space allowed the distinguishing and individuality of these formerly intellectual things [in God] - granting them one form of distinction / separation / relation-hood (WxDxHx...). And time and its sequences of causation prevented incompatibilities and disconnected, miraculous origins by allowing things yet another form of separation / relation-hood (segregation by clock, calendar).

Thus the "perfect" sensible or phenomenal reality (counterpart to the intelligible one of God) was this material one which permitted the greatest amount of interconnected richness and variety, regulated by the least number of basic laws. It didn't seem perfect from the perspective of humans because, due to being the inferior animal / natural versions of deities in this spatiotemporal "place" (i.e., endowed with reason) we were cursed with being able to at least conceive [selfishly?] a better world for ourselves. But this "magical / ideal alternative" which we [supposedly] imagine would come at the cost of excluding so much more from being able to exist coherently / sensibly together with us [albeit largely isolated, again, by their applicable locations in space and time as interconsistency and network of sufficient explanation demanded].

Also, to anachronistically introduce a touch of science fiction to this sub-feature of the 18th century climax of the ancient saga of Christo-Platonic thought: Our speculated "better world for us" fantasies might bloody well be included as part of the unfolding package in the distant future, if the distributed pico-tech beings or archilect "gods" descended vaguely from us should decide to resurrect the then extinct homo sapiens sapiens in an engineered virtual environment (but who knows why they'd bother!).
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Things were created better, they just got messed up when man became self-aware.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Impenitent wrote:everybody wants to rule the world...

-Imp
I don't, I can't think of anything I'd want less, sincerely I am am a 42 year old child, I have no more ability to rule my petty indulgence than I do anyone else or in any way dictate to anyone else anything. I am pretty sure most people don't want to rule the world either despite what Tears for Fears say. People who want to rule anyone or anything IMHO are usually the sorts of people who are most often amongst the least able to do so. Give a man who wants power it, is the biggest mistake ever, such people who crave power are usually quite the worst people to hold it. Not that I think it is a good idea to randomly choose people to have power as it was in ancient Athens, but it probably would work better than giving the average power hungry egotist control of people. :)