Recommend me a movie.

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Recommend me a movie.

Post by Blaggard »

I've seen about everything movie wise I can think of at least and am running out of ideas. So recommend me a movie...

To start the ball rolling: two movies I saw I liked recently This is the End, and The End of the World. Bit of a comedy thing, liked both: one is a sort of end of the world thing where Hollywood actors don't get to go to heaven, which is fair enough, the vacuous overpaid tarts, in which a load of actors play themselves in the end times Starring Seth Rogan and any one else you may have seen in most movies recently. The other is a Simon Peg thing (Shean of the Dead, Hot fuzz et al) where they have to do a pub crawl that ends in the End of the World pub, sounds dull, but their home town aint no ordinary town....

Would recommend both for being totally stupid and quite funny which is always the way. Ok not going to make my all time top 10 but none the less worth a view.

And if you are wondering what movies I like, well just about anything aside from musicals, so that should leave you enough scope and I did like Bugsy Malone and Les Miserable so... :)
jackles

Re: Recommend me a movie.

Post by jackles »

blags have you ever watch barabus.
uwot

Post by uwot »

The Princess Bride.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

A Trip to the Moon and Nosferatu is good, as with any other old, old movies.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Thanks guys. I have not seen Barabus, which is odd because I have watched most old movies that were well rated so I shall bear it in mind. Seen the Princess Bride though, classic movie. Seen Nosferatu but not the other golden oldie: Trip to the Moon, although have seen it in excerpts, I bet for its time it was considered amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCKT6ukArhw

Nosferatu: Monster! :)

If you like old movies I would recommend The Hill, Ice Cold in Alex, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Whiskey Galore, and well I'll stop there too many movies to mention. :)
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Probably the top movies of all time are "A Clockwork Orange" by Stanley Kubrick, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" by Sergio Leone, "The Graduate" by Mike Nichols, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" by John Hughes, and "The Blues Brothers" by John Landis, all comedies.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I watched "The Book Thief" last night. Excellent. Some profound dialogue on 'words' and 'books'. I have become a Geoffrey Rush fan.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Blaggard wrote:Seen the Princess Bride though, classic movie.
Alright then: Oh brother where art thou.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

A somewhat recent, (2011), Comedy, Drama, Romance, that's at my current speed, "Crazy, Stupid, Love." With Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone and Kevin Bacon. Warning though, it may make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, not to mention a few hilarious moments, for some! ;-)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Seen and seen guys but thanks both to you, good movies. You see the conundrum I am in, I have it seems seen a lot of movies, and it's hard to pick a decent one I have not. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWd0iv8Dq4

:)
Last edited by Blaggard on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

"Couples Retreat?"
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Not seen thanks. :)

Will look it up.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

bobevenson wrote:Probably the top movies of all time are "A Clockwork Orange" by Stanley Kubrick, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" by Sergio Leone, "The Graduate" by Mike Nichols, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" by John Hughes, and "The Blues Brothers" by John Landis, all comedies.
Seen them all and may I just say you have good taste in movies. :)

"Blondeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!!!" ;)
Last edited by Blaggard on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpheresOfBalance

Blaggard wrote:Seen and seen guys but thanks both to you, good movies. You see the conundrum I am in, I have it seems seen a lot of movies, and it's hard to pick a decent one I have not. :(

I'm not one for stupid humor, I'd rather laugh with someone, than at someone, I feel It's socially disquieting, maybe it's just me?
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Blaggard wrote:Seen and seen guys but thanks both to you, good movies. You see the conundrum I am in, I have it seems seen a lot of movies, and it's hard to pick a decent one I have not. :(

I'm not one for stupid humor, I'd rather laugh with someone, than at someone, I feel It's socially disquieting, maybe it's just me?
Yeah I know what you mean, comedy is a very subjective thing; I for example as a child at school found nothing funny about a kid leaning back and falling off his chair, my first thought was to check if the kid was ok. While the rest of the class laughed their ass off. Comedy is and always will be different strokes...

I don't so much find poking fun at the peculiarities of people a bad thing, mean spirited humour is few and far between and seldom works.
Last edited by Blaggard on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.