Hello from science!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Hello from science!

Post by thedoc »

Blaggard wrote: Well I personally have nothing against hex, and I think a forum thrives on diversity not on conformity.
I hate to see anyone leave, and ironically it's even worse when someone who leaves is not of your sort. I've spent a long time on forums and the only thing I have ever learnt is that forums are only forums on the basis of difference. Without it they are as hex says just cozy. :)
To make a good forum you need a thriving diversity; you don't make a forum based on people who agree.
That said though pulling your ass out of a forum and thinking fluently about such things, you do see the perspective.

Quite right, conformity is not a good thing, but diversity is not the same as hostility and abuse. There is no reason for diverse ideas to be expressed in such a manner. Some posters should be ignored because of their manner, and others should be ignored for their lack of originality. If one chooses to read and respond to the vulgar and obscene, so be it, I prefer the civil and sophisticated.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

marjoramblues wrote:
Typical fuckwittery :roll:
Compare previous posts to the snipper's.
If I had my way I'd make proselytising against forum rules and get rid of all those indulging in shameless self promotion, and religious arm waving, just be glad I don't have my way because people like grey and Bob wouldn't be here any more. That arm waving nonsense they indulge in is not philosophy, but meh if you want to fall deeply into a cults arms do so but not at the expense of actual philosophy.

Hex does not seem to want to partake in discussion, he seems primarily here to abuse people who are not himself and do not share his odd mentality. I don't have a problem with him per se, but I think it is right on a philosophy forum to demand more than: "you're an idiot, that is nonsense, stop talking shit" endlessly which is pretty much all he ever seems to post, let's face it. He should change the record, or find somewhere else more conducive to his group think ideals. Or perhaps more sanguine and sensible he should just have a discussion for a change, not a slanging match. We all hope for such an eventuality as he does seem to be cognisant enough to string together some sort of argument, although when he is going to do so is a matter for the bookmakers. :P

I use the term groupthink as a quick and easy way to refer to the mode of thinking that persons engage in when concurrence-seeking becomes so dominant in a cohesive ingroup that it tends to override realistic appraisal of alternative courses of action. Groupthink is a term of the same order as the words in the newspeak vocabulary George Orwell used in his dismaying world of 1984. In that context, groupthink takes on an invidious connotation. Exactly such a connotation is intended, since the term refers to a deterioration in mental efficiency, reality testing and moral judgments as a result of group pressures.[3]:43
groupthink: wiki
Last edited by Blaggard on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

thedoc wrote:
Blaggard wrote: Well I personally have nothing against hex, and I think a forum thrives on diversity not on conformity.
I hate to see anyone leave, and ironically it's even worse when someone who leaves is not of your sort. I've spent a long time on forums and the only thing I have ever learnt is that forums are only forums on the basis of difference. Without it they are as hex says just cozy. :)
To make a good forum you need a thriving diversity; you don't make a forum based on people who agree.
That said though pulling your ass out of a forum and thinking fluently about such things, you do see the perspective.

Quite right, conformity is not a good thing, but diversity is not the same as hostility and abuse. There is no reason for diverse ideas to be expressed in such a manner. Some posters should be ignored because of their manner, and others should be ignored for their lack of originality. If one chooses to read and respond to the vulgar and obscene, so be it, I prefer the civil and sophisticated.
Oh I agree, I don't see the point of mean spirited subjugation of other people based on your own perceived munificence/magnificence, I think hex is one contrary individual who seems to want nothing more than to attract attention for all the wrong reasons, as I have said before if he wants to play the game he can, if not I have no time for self declared Messiahs, as you well know... ;)

I can only apologise to the OP, although I think he is long gone. :S
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

marjoramblues wrote: The mods have gone mad and Rick has left the building.
The dying moments of the forum.
Hope you are all having fun.
Mods are human too. Rick has not left the building; Rick is just putting Philosophy Now Issue 101 to press which is keeping me too busy to post. In case of emergency call a Mod.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

RickLewis wrote:
Mods are human too. Rick has not left the building; Rick is just putting Philosophy Now Issue 101 to press which is keeping me too busy to post. In case of emergency call a Mod.

Wonderful idea, call the mods who have a simple modus operandi, 'When in doubt, delete'. Brilliant solution to a non-problem. And blame the magazine for inadequacy.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Hi Florin and welcome,
Nice to have a biologist on board as we sorely need one, know any chemists as well?

As you can see, things get rapidly off-topic here and if you are looking for academic philosophy I'd look elsewhere but there are a few with such a background here and one can have a reasonable conversation with them and some others. We also have our fair share of complete loons as the forum tends to moderate pretty loosely.

One thing, the mods would like people to moderate their own threads if possible, so if you think a post off-topic or unsuitable to your OP then PM them and they'll often do something about it.
marjoramblues wrote:The mods have gone mad and Rick has left the building.
Nah!

The forum regularly goes through such things, it comes with the interweeb where weebs abound but the forum endures.

Personally I hope we go down the route of wiping the forum clean and only those who subscribe to or buy the mag being able to post.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Well that'll be me gone then, I doubt anyone will shed a tear. :P

If you do celebrate my demise though, raise a glass in my honour, even if it is an empty one. ;)
Last edited by Blaggard on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

RickLewis wrote:
Lies, mods are not human, they are better, faster, stronger, they have been built form the finest modern technology to outperform the more basic human model, be smarter and talk more appositely on any subject and they can even fart chocolate. Have you no shame?

Shenananananananananananeena, I think you know what I mean. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA
R2D2

Post by R2D2 »

Blaggard wrote:Oh come on this is an introduction thread Hex, can you at least give the guy time to settle in before you call him an idiot, complain about how philosophy is worthless, boast about how intelligent you are compared to everyone else and how we should bask in your glory, and then throw your toys out of your pram if anyone dares to criticise you in even the mildest manner. Projecting a slew of insecurity onto anyone who demands you justify yourself, like somehow you are the only person in the whole internet who knows the truth.

Shit no offence Hex but you really do go out of your way to prove why we need philosophy by being such a contrarian. It's because some people just refuse to learn anything about anything, and pompously force their world view on others as if it wasn't just an opinion, it was some sort of sanctified truth straight from God and all his angelic choir.

@OP I also have a degree in Biology, and you'll find there are a few people with more science than philosophy backgrounds, enjoy. And ignore Hex he has NPD apparently, he's just doing that attention seeking thing, you'll get used to it and if not, there is in your user panel an ignore function where you can turn off some of the more obnoxious trolling from whatever resident annoys you... :)

Welcome Florin. I suspect you may well be worth 2 bob. :)
Blaggard for President :!: :D 8)
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

As usual Blagg is jumping to conclusions, make up things, and worse, he stalks me like a mad man!
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

HexHammer wrote:As usual Blagg is jumping to conclusions, make up things, and worse, he stalks me like a mad man!
And I am the one doing the stalking? Irony.
marjoramblues

Off-topic

Post by marjoramblues »

RickLewis wrote:
My current subscription ends with Issue 106.
No great emergency if I don't renew.
marjoramblues

Off-topic

Post by marjoramblues »

Arising_uk wrote:
marjoramblues wrote:The mods have gone mad and Rick has left the building.
Nah!

The forum regularly goes through such things, it comes with the interweeb where weebs abound but the forum endures.

Personally I hope we go down the route of wiping the forum clean and only those who subscribe to or buy the mag being able to post.
The swings and the roundabouts of this forum I know very well, as do others who might still be hanging around.
As discussed a few months ago, Rick and team - are no doubt still mulling over any developments.