Ahoy

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

i_another

Ahoy

Post by i_another »

Hi there, fellow travelers.

I enjoy thinking, written conversation, and Mexican food. My schedule is pretty hectic, but I hope to be able to contribute to some of the discussions on this forum.
Blaggard

Re: Ahoy

Post by Blaggard »

Ahoy hoy. :)
i_another

Post by i_another »

It took me a while to figure out that it was Mr. Burns who used to say "Ahoy-hoy." I knew that sounded familiar. Thanks for the salutation, Blaggard.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Hehe interesting fact ahoy hoy was replaced by hello in the early days of the telephone even the French eventually came over to allo allo or something approximating hello, the fact that Mr Burns still uses it is a reminder of his age and the close run slang war of ahoy hoy vs hello. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qonpElvRu8Q

Man evidence of how sad I am I actually wikid it to make sure my facts were straight. lol. Apparently they were, and now I will be off to kill myself for being such a sad ass. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahoy_%28greeting%29
Alexander Graham Bell originally suggested 'ahoy' be adopted as the standard greeting when answering a telephone, before 'Hello' (suggested by Thomas Edison) became common
God just kill me, and end my anal retentive nerdery. :P
i_another

Post by i_another »

Interesting! That prompted me to look up the etymology of the word "hello," and it turns out it wasn't formalized into everyday speech until the late 1800s, precisely for the reason you mentioned. I'll have to remember that as a future conversation ice-breaker.
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

i_another wrote:Hi there, fellow travelers.

I enjoy thinking, written conversation, and Mexican food. My schedule is pretty hectic, but I hope to be able to contribute to some of the discussions on this forum.
Hi i,

Dig your screen name and your taste in food. I do hope you'll stay for a chat. Welcome to the forum.

AS
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

High eye 8)
i_another

Post by i_another »

Thanks, guys. I'll do my best to add a couple of cents here and there.