Who Are You?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

Who Are You?

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Who are you? Who are You?... Who are you at this moment...and why?

The paramount question in philosophy and thus, in life.

Who are you?

Arising_uk

Re: Who Are You?

Post by Arising_uk »

Lead the way then, who are you?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I am consciousness, watching a man watch a monitor.

...................................Image

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

GNU ALERT!!
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Again, not really sure what you mean by the term GNU.

The closest thing I have found is an operating system that represents complete freedom & liberty.

I will take it as that and I appreciate your respect and understanding.

Thank you.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nah! Unix you ain't.

Gnu - a budding guru, now-a-days most usually found upon the Interweeb seeking acolytes. Can be identified by their utterance of meaningless or contradictory aphorisms and vague and meaningless nonsense about a hidden 'Truth' or 'Reality' always just out of reach. Common traits, an inability to answer sentences with question marks, acute selective reading ability, massive belief confirmation bias, ad-hominen psycho-babble and a complete inability to walk their talk or even talk their walk. Be wary of such beasts. Preventative vaccination advised, i.e. a study of Philosophy, in particular a dose of critical philosophy and Logic as practiced in Philosophy now-a-days.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Ya know...we're different, in a very fundamental way.

I learned this, really understood this, by not only looking at Neuro-linguistic programming but practicing NLP.

There are some, what I think, fundamentally sound elements to Neuro-linguistic programming.

Especially in their attempt to understand and describe the nature of our perception.

The divergent is in the utilitarianism.

Neuro-linguistic programming
is for egos who want to become.

My perception of philosophy, real philosophy...real philosophers... is that I am not using my attempts at understanding of myself for any ulterior motives.

I just want to see myself
; see my reality. That's very hard.

Put in another way – you are becoming.

I am preparing for death.

I think that is why you feel threatened and thus, antagonistic against me. What I represent.

You, I believe, would be more comfortable in a forum that discussed motivational speaking or successful sale strategies.

There is nothing wrong in that.

However, in your heart, you are not a philosopher.. no matter how many books you read.

Come to think of it...I think that is why you have read so many.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
Ya know...we're different, in a very fundamental way.
No shit sherlock.
I learned this, really understood this, by not only looking at Neuro-linguistic programming but practicing NLP.
Wiki knowledge is not understanding, doing is.
There are some, what I think, fundamentally sound elements to Neuro-linguistic programming.

Especially in their attempt to understand and describe the nature of our perception.
They're not much interested in such things as they only think them useful presuppositions or metaphors.

The divergent is in the utilitarianism.
You mean divergence and utility. Utilitarianism is an ethical system from Philosophy but since you've not read any you'd not know this.

Neuro-linguistic programming
is for egos who want to become.
Save your wiki Freud for yourself. NLP is a communication and learning tool for those who want to communicate or learn.
My perception of philosophy, real philosophy...real philosophers... is that I am not using my attempts at understanding of myself for any ulterior motives.

I just want to see myself
; see my reality. That's very hard.
I'd take this more seriously if it wasn't for the fact that you've smeared yourself all over the interweeb. Someone who truly thought this would be unheard of as they'd be too busy.
Put in another way – you are becoming.

I am preparing for death.
What a pretentious prat you are. To prepare for death is to live ones life to its fullest, to live ones life to the fullest involves knowing what ones wants and goals are and to strive to achieve them regardless of success or failure, although failure is to be understood as feedback not failure. Alternatively you could face death with equanimity and find possible enlightenment by following the Buddha's path but like most westerners this would be to much like hard work for you as it takes will, intellect, intent and commitment.
I think that is why you feel threatened and thus, antagonistic against me. What I represent.
I think you no threat but you are right that I take offence at what you represent as what you represent is the ignorant and uninformed commenting upon what they know nothing about, i.e. western philosophy. Thanks to your past guru you think it the same path as eastern mysticism or religion, a kind of self-help to some mystical other state where all your woes will be salved(although I think this also a legacy of your lost theism), and its true that in the continental wing existential matters are considered, but in the main western philosophy is about clarity of thought and expression, analysis and hopefully synthesis, logic, reason and language, critical thought and the use of ones intellect. All things that you appear to know nothing about. Instead you spout cod-psychology and trite aphorisms in an attempt to sound portentous and dress it up as some kind of 'real' philosophy when it is nothing more than your psychological inadequacies writ large. So yes, you get my goat.
You, I believe, would be more comfortable in a forum that discussed motivational speaking or successful sale strategies.

There is nothing wrong in that.
Nice try but no cigar. Save your psycho-games for yourself and your platitudes for those stupid enough to believe them.

I know you should be posting in a psychoanalytic forum as whilst it would be uncomfortable for you it'd provide endless opportunities for them. Alternatively show some of this observational skill you claim and collect all your images together in one long slide show at take a good look at what your subconscious is telling you.
However, in your heart, you are not a philosopher.. no matter how many books you read.
Well duh! Unlike you I make no such claim to be a philosopher. All I claim is that I took three years of my life to study what those who have been called philosophers have said and thought so, unlike you, I can claim that I know what I talk about when I talk about the subject of western philosophy. To be a philosopher is to be acclaimed by others as one, not to acclaim oneself as one, this has been true since the Greeks and now-a-days its to be paid or published by others. Since I've had none of these things I am under no delusion that I am one. What I am is someone who has been trained in the tools of philosophy and as such I know a gnu when I hear one and your braying comes across loud and clear. I also know what a philosopher has to have to have a philosophy and thats an Ethics, a Metaphysics, an Epistemology, and an Ontology and maybe a Politics and a Phil of Mind, all of which have to logically hang together and support each other. You have none of these.
Come to think of it...I think that is why you have read so many.[/size]
You coming to think would be a bloody miracle. I read so much because I just love reading and have done since a child when I first discovered how. That I've pretty much read the philosophical canon was the result of course requirements but that I read them all right through was because I fell in love with the thoughts despite many of them being way outside ones comfort zone or easy comprehension. This sentiment of yours is straight out of your Yank cultural-box where the intellect is something to be despised rather than cultivated. Wake-up bunky! That your thoughts are original to you does not make them unique, in fact most of what you write shows that two thousand odd years of thought has whooshed right over your head.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Good for you.

I wish you all the best.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

OK...well, you're beginning to use images. As rudimentary as they are...

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

You are so predictable but thank you for confirming one of the traits I've identified as being of the gnu.

Your memory is poor as this is a common image I've often shown you and I use it because you are a self-confessed man of little intellect so I thought I'd express myself in the baby-language you require.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Actually I feel as if I attempt to control my intellect as to allow me to better self-observe.

An thus allows me to be more human; more adult.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.Actually I feel as if I attempt to control my intellect as to allow me to better self-observe. ...
What would be doing the 'self-observing'?
An thus allows me to be more human; more adult.
'More human' maybe but more adult? I think not, as for someone who has had two heart-attacks scoffing burger, chicken and cheese appears to be immature behaviour, as is over-dosing oneself with drugs in some attempt to recreate some past experience.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

More human...more godlike.
FTFY

Consciousness is a state of being.

Intellect is a function of being human.

They are strangely connected, yet different.

Yeah. I am chasing a moment of mine in the past.

I am chasing a dragon.

And it just may kill me. But I am a philosopher. I no more have a choice than you do.