The Art of Living, the Art of Philosophy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosophyislife

Post by philosophyislife »

@ by Maurizio Bisogno 2013

Philosophy is not a religion and it is not a science (in the way that we intend physics or mathematics), and philosophy is not just what happens in the University's department. It could be taken as an end in itself, for the pleasure that it offers to those who love it, but, besides this solipsistic approach, the question remains: Philosophy, what is good for?

Can Philosophy definitely answer the ultimate questions of existence? What can Philosophy teach us about the nature of mind, or the foundations of certain knowledge, the morality of life, or about social life organization? And what can it say about death?

Philosophy, as a product of human reason, has the same limits that derive from its originator, we could not expect Philosophy to be beyond its human nature, i.e. a product marked by the finite nature of its maker.

But, exactly because human beings, finite beings, we go through life as learning beings and Philosophy offers the great opportunity to discover things about life in a way that is not so volatile, not so contingent as it would be without the examining process of thinking.

A conscious discovery through experience of partial answers to the problems of life, that is how I would define Philosophy today. Because it offers a tool to learn from our experiences, we can think it as a mean to a better life. The key word here is: the conscious approach to that experiment which is life itself.

A better life can be lived if guided by those philosopher who have achieved it by consistently applying their teachings to themselves: philosophers who have obtained a unity of thoughts and actions.

Therefore, if the modern world is making you feel lost, squeezed, crashed by its challenges, the intelligent advice of Philosophy can come to your help to open the way toward a better life. Philosophy, in this sense, is an art and will last as long as humans are around, in the same way that beautiful music is part of human existence.
@ by Maurizio Bisogno 2013
Skip

Re: The Art of Living, the Art of Philosophy

Post by Skip »

Nice.
Did you want a discussion?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Whether a discussion is wanted or not, I think there should be one. I will be preparing a reply, let's see who can get there first. :)
Skip

Post by Skip »

Well, I like to start with a question, or series of questions, though a single one is much easier to dive off.
The OP didn't pose one.
duszek

Post by duszek »

The OP starts with several questions. At least I can see question marks at the end of the sentences.

And then the author tries to offer some answers.

I expect that Signor Bisogno wanted some reactions from people here.
That´s normal, I would say.

Philosophy as an art is a new and surprising concept.

Would it imply that we try to think ... beautifully ?
Skip

Post by Skip »

I meant questions posed for the rest of us. The ones he asks, he also answers.
the conscious approach to that experiment which is life itself.
I couldn't improve on that. Indeed, I have considered Philosophy among the arts for some time and even upset people by saying that it's got no business being a business (or profession) but should - along with painting, music, sport, personal adornment, literature and games - be practiced by everyone, to the limit of their ability and inclination, as a leisure activity.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

philosophyislife wrote:A better life can be lived if guided by those philosopher who have achieved it by consistently applying their teachings to themselves: philosophers who have obtained a unity of thoughts and actions.

Therefore, if the modern world is making you feel lost, squeezed, crashed by its challenges, the intelligent advice of Philosophy can come to your help to open the way toward a better life. Philosophy, in this sense, is an art and will last as long as humans are around, in the same way that beautiful music is part of human existence.
Sounds like the same salespitch for religion, for communism, for everything farfetched.

Science is much better as it deals with proof, where philosophy only deals with naive ideals which leads to the usual rainbow chasin common for religion, communism and fairy tales.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

>Philosophy, what is good for?

Huuh! Absolutely everything! <sayitagain now>

>Can Philosophy definitely answer the ultimate questions of existence?

Yes. The first problem is to clear up how all the questions fit together.

>What can Philosophy teach us about the nature of mind, or the foundations of certain knowledge, the morality of life, or about social life organization?

Not as much as it seems since much of that is empirical questions. The foundation of knowledge is replicable, actionable certainty. Everything about ethics is contingent on salience, perspective, and priority.

>And what can it say about death?

There's really only one thing to say about death and it's the last character of this sentence.

>Philosophy, as a product of human reason, has the same limits that derive from its originator, we could not expect Philosophy to be beyond its human nature, i.e. a product marked by the finite nature of its maker.

But this is not so. Logic is certain and gives us 100% accurate predictive power.

>But, exactly because human beings, finite beings, we go through life as learning beings and Philosophy offers the great opportunity to discover things about life in a way that is not so volatile, not so contingent as it would be without the examining process of thinking.

Philosophy is basically everything that matters but isn't empirical (science).

>A better life can be lived if guided by those philosopher who have achieved it by consistently applying their teachings to themselves: philosophers who have obtained a unity of thoughts and actions.

Not all philosophers concentrate on how to lead the good life. A major reason philosophy of stalled is that not enough philosophers understand the core workings of things like "good" and "life" before undertaking their magnum opus of meaning. Those who have "achieved a good life" didn't do it through philosophy, they did it through integration. You can bet their formula isn't applicable to you. There are contingencies for what it means to achieve success, even if you agree on the end result that is desired. No two people share the same salience, perspective, or priorities so they cannot walk the same path to the same destination.