What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoramblues

The Ugliest Dialect in the Wurruld...

Post by marjoramblues »

...each to their own, aye ?

The ugly to be disowned...or no'?

Can there be beauty in the ugly?

I would say 'up to a point'. The ugliness might be in the guttural sounds; the beauty in the natural rawness and passion.

A challenge fur yer lugs tha'll tug at yer he'rt.
A 3 min trailer...are ye ready fur the Fife-ish tongue?
Then listen up!

http://www.imdb.com/video/withoutabox/vi3782255129/

'The Happy Lands'

'If ye forget wha' ye 're, ye'll loss wha' ye are'
If you forget who you are, you'll lose who you are.

'When ah focht fur a pointless bloody war, they telt me ah wiz a hero; but when ah focht fur ma ain, they telt me ah wiz a traitor'
When I fought for a pointless bloody war, I was told I was a hero; when I fought for my own, I was told I was a traitor.

The importance of a nice voice nimbly changing words to suit. In Parliament.
But perhaps even better, findin' yer ain voice tae articulate wi' Power.
HexHammer

Re: The Ugliest Dialect in the Wurruld...

Post by HexHammer »

Though not a dialect, I find innuit and dutch language the most fugliest of all langua.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

HexHammer wrote:Though not a dialect, I find innuit and dutch language the most fugliest of all langua.
Have you listened to the locals? They will probably have a subtly different dialect from a neighbouring area within the same country.
Usually, there will be a slight change on a continuum eg East Scotland: Edinburgh>Fife>Dundee>Aberdeen
where one dialect will sound better to the ears than another.

What interests me is the power of aesthetics in forming attitudes towards the people of a country. The harshness of Germany v the romance of France.

Also, the power element whereby the urban dialect tends to be taken as 'standard', even yet. And to make Voices heard, the 'Outsiders' have to adopt a less natural way of speaking which might put them at a disadvantage.

If anyone listens to the film 'The Happy Lands', the miner up against the Judge is sent to prison for questioning brutal police tactics - also contempt of court for continuing his vociferous defence. All in Fife dialect, but still understandable.

His logic is rock solid - but the rock of 'Justice' does not move.
Punishment: rock-breaking.

So, how important is it to listen, even though the ears curl up and want to die...
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

I find it interesting that the tone of upper and lower society are mostly universal.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

HexHammer wrote:I find it interesting that the tone of upper and lower society are mostly universal.
Well, language is one of the means for the creme de la creme to justify (for themselves and for others) their "right" to the privileged situation they've got - Being wealthy without personally contribute to the mean lifetime of mankind. Of course the language is "rich", articulated and full of words. Nothing "local" in that, and the upper classes are also cosmopolitan - have the time and the means to travel and socialize.
Whereas the language of the poor is about getting the job done, and then have a good time, where you happen to live.
The language of the academics is a sidetrack since it's about getting the job done increasing the mean lifetime of mankind.