Does our modern age lack human dignity?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Does our modern age lack human dignity?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

HexHammer wrote:Dear Hobbes

I do respect your vast amount of knowledge, but when you actually have to make an intelligent statemen, you comes to absurd conclusions.

You need to train your abstract logic, specially your beloved 1 example that will break the general concensus and make the new concensus. I'll just put you on ignore and may time give you insight.
`Run away!!
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

I'm amazed at the lack of response to the question raised. It seems that only Christianity posits an answer to the question. The atheist, agnostic, and secularist are silent.

Here is some reading material from some philosophers who have pondered the question.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067406 ... __wl_03_01
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

tbieter wrote:I'm amazed at the lack of response to the question raised. It seems that only Christianity posits an answer to the question. The atheist, agnostic, and secularist are silent.

Here is some reading material from some philosophers who have pondered the question.

When you have learned to read, I suggest you get back to us and tell us what it says.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

If iiit did, how would you introduce it?
Liliyan

Post by Liliyan »

When animals get their dignity, you Will earn yours
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"When animals get their dignity, you Will earn yours"

When Mr. Piggy takes up arms and closes down the abattoir, I'll extend to him a bit of consideration.

Till then: bacon is yummy.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

tbieter wrote:I'm amazed at the lack of response to the question raised. It seems that only Christianity posits an answer to the question. The atheist, agnostic, and secularist are silent.

On the question what is the foundation or ground of human dignity? , Maurice de Wulf states:

"Every human being has a certain sacred value, an inviolable individuality, and as such he has a personal destiny...Why, indeed, does the human person possess the right to realize his happiness, of which no state can deprive him? Metaphysics replies: because human personality alone is a genuine substantial reality.On the other hand, any group whatever, the state included, is not a real being; it is simply a group of human persons." Philosophy and Civilization in the Middle Ages (New York: Dover, 1932), p. 223
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

tbieter wrote:

On the question what is the foundation or ground of human dignity? , Maurice de Wulf states:

"Every human being has a certain sacred value, an inviolable individuality, and as such he has a personal destiny...Why, indeed, does the human person possess the right to realize his happiness, of which no state can deprive him? Metaphysics replies: because human personality alone is a genuine substantial reality.On the other hand, any group whatever, the state included, is not a real being; it is simply a group of human persons." Philosophy and Civilization in the Middle Ages (New York: Dover, 1932), p. 223
Sorry, but human beings have no innate value just because they are 'homo sapien'. People get the respect they deserve by doing and saying things that earn respect. People have dignity by acting and speaking in a dignified manner and treating others with dignity. Usually the person saying they deserve respect, or to be treated with dignity because they are human beings, have done nothing to earn that respect, and do not act with dignity. A human being is so by 'being human'. Walk the walk, and talk the talk, you don't get it by sittin' on your ass saying "Here I am, Gotta Love me".
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

HexHammer wrote:Dear Hobbes

I do respect your vast amount of knowledge, but when you actually have to make an intelligent statemen, you comes to absurd conclusions.

You need to train your abstract logic, specially your beloved 1 example that will break the general concensus and make the new concensus. I'll just put you on ignore and may time give you insight.
This is a very limp statement.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

thedoc wrote:
tbieter wrote:

Sorry, but human beings have no innate value just because they are 'homo sapien'. People get the respect they deserve by doing and saying things that earn respect. People have dignity by acting and speaking in a dignified manner and treating others with dignity. Usually the person saying they deserve respect, or to be treated with dignity because they are human beings, have done nothing to earn that respect, and do not act with dignity. A human being is so by 'being human'. Walk the walk, and talk the talk, you don't get it by sittin' on your ass saying "Here I am, Gotta Love me".
"Sorry, but human beings have no innate value just because they are 'homo sapien'."
Is the assassination of political opponents for political reasons morally justified?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Is the assassination of political opponents for political reasons morally justified?"

Eye of the beholder.

Some moralistic types who opposed the assassinated will support the killing as morally necessary.

Some moralistic types who supported the assassinated will condemn the killing as immoral.

Some amoral types will judge the pros or cons of the assassination solely on the practical effects of the killing.

There is no moral absolute, no absolute moral arbiter, therefore morality, and moral justifications, are always in the eye of the beholder (and in the hand of the one or ones powerful enough to make their particular perspective stick like *shit to the rest of the folks).

*this 'shit' is more commonly called 'law'
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Kuznetzova wrote:I feel like a man who is charged with placing a note into a bottle, which will only be received by people centuries in the future.

On this note I would scribble:

We are an animal from Africa. All values are suspect or temporary fads.
We are targets of nuclear missiles. All parts of society are militarized.

How can we re-obtain human dignity in contemporary times?
What is the foundation of human dignity today?
There is a false premise underlying this post.
"Dignity" is only historical. We write dignity into our narratives of the past where they never existed.
The message in a bottle that you want to write, could have been penned from any age since the dawn of civilisation, except the fact that nuclear missiles are recent.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

Hilarious. Me thinks if the man didn't obsess himself with silly things like dignity, he would have been a much happier, and looser man.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"he would have been a much happier, and looser man"

K? He's a child molester...no peace for him
Pluto

Post by Pluto »

Kuznetzova wrote:I feel like a man who is charged with placing a note into a bottle, which will only be received by people centuries in the future.

On this note I would scribble:

We are an animal from Africa. All values are suspect or temporary fads.
We are targets of nuclear missiles. All parts of society are militarized.

How can we re-obtain human dignity in contemporary times?
What is the foundation of human dignity today?

To get back dignity we first see what took it away. How has it been eroded. Then either destroy it or turn your back on it. Modern life is consumer driven, people have been demoted from citizen to consumer. There is a dumbing down of communication between power structures and its populace. We first find the source of degradation and from there began to build anew.

Being targets of nuclear weapons is just one of the many dangers of being alive in the 21st, nothing much you can do about it, but protest it. I can be dignified while having a gun pointed at me.