WAYS TO BE WRONG and how to be RIGHT

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

prof

WAYS TO BE WRONG and how to be RIGHT

Post by prof »

WAYS TO BE WRONG
(with thanks to Rush Kidder)

(S) Violations of law.

(E) Departure from truth False-to-fact statements; being mistaken about empirical conditions and evidence; calling in sick when you are not. Etc.

( I ) Deviation from honesty, justice, and responsibility. Personal corruption. Being willing to ‘put a person down.’ Intentionally inflicting harm. Cruelty, lying, abuse, being manipulative, throwing one’s weight around, deliberately hurting someone – we know that’s wrong!

Examples: I say I will meet you for lunch at noon. I do something else instead and I don't bother to call you. Or, quoting Kidder, "a doctor urges upon a patient an expensive procedure when a less-expensive treatment would do. ...A politician presents opposed and conflicting promises to different groups. These things are wrong not because they violate law or fail to comport with fact, but because they go against the moral grain. They don't square, in other words, with the code of inner value that is so widely shared and broadly understood that it defines - at least for our place and time - the difference between right and wrong." (Excerpted from HOW GOOD PEOPLE MAKE TOUGH CHOICES: Resolving the dilemmas of ethical living by Rushworth M. Kidder (NY: Simon & Schuster, 1955).

There are two basic assumptions that many people (including those who obstruct the implementing of good ideas in government) hold on to:

(1) "I am superior to other individuals."

(2) "Violence is a way to solve problems."

Those lead to many an injustice that we face. It leads to premature death. These confused cognitive beliefs lead to the waging of war, which in turn - among other factors outlined by Arnold J.Toynbee - brings down the civilizations that engage in those wars. It leads to machine-guns employed in rapid massacres, such as at Sandy Hook Elementary School Or Mei Lai, Vietnam.

Those two self-sentences (that we repeat to ourselves until we come to believe them) rank with some others relevant to Ethics such as: "What's in it for me? ('cause life is about getting, not giving)";

"Why should I care (about those outside my family, my tribe); I don't care about them";

"Money can buy me happiness!" "Greed is good."

"Everyone has their price ...make me an offer."

"A single feature (characteristic) can tell us a lot about a whole group who share that feature.[such as skin color or gender]"

Those are basic among the false beliefs that we tell ourselves. There are plenty of others.

What is the remedy? Education. Especially education in Ethics.

WAYS TO BE RIGHT
(with thanks to Lori Pierelli)

“Ethics” she writes “describes what is acceptasble conduct in society. Ethics serves as a guide to moral daily living and helps us judge whether our behavior can be justified. While ethics is a societal concern, it is of critical importance to the professions that serve society” and it is only as good as the quality of individual morality.

Mores are values “defined as the acts, customs and institutions that a group of people regard in a favorable way.

Value judgments “typically contain words [and gestures] of approval, disapproval, and obligation. However, value judgments do not have to contain specific value words. “That is a lie” does not contain a particular word of disapproval but the implication that a lie is wrong is understood.”

Integrity: “To have integrity is to be honest and sincere.”
Integrity - as Lori P. defines it - “is adhering to a moral code in daily decision-making. Integrity is one of the most important characteristics an individual can have. Put simply, when people and businesses possess integrity, it means they can be trusted.

Character: Character drives what we do when no one is looking. Each person has the ability to build, change, or even destroy his or her own character.. We can build our character through the way we live – by thinking good thoughts and performing good acts.”
-- quoted from BOMI’s Ethics is Good Business – Short Course.

Actually, life is more about giving than getting - as I argue in my other posts and threads.

We need to say to ourselves "We're all in this together. What helps you helps me. I get it." Until one has this attitude s/he is not truly educated. Once we acquire enlightened-self-interest we will see things this way.

Conclusion: A sense of ethics, living it, having a good character, and having integrity are important for building trust, and are "ways to be right."

Do you want to be right?
Last edited by prof on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
prof

Re: WAYS TO BE WRONG and how to be RIGHT

Post by prof »

A student once protested the concept that the world is getting better in the sense that ethics is catching on. He put it this way “You can't make people take things to heart, if they don't have the inclination or capacity to do so. Any new application of ethics must address this fundamental problem: that selfishness has a greater genetic heritage.”

I responded by presenting this perspective: Yes, that selfishness of which you speak shows up often in very young children: their world is (– and even, for some, into the teens, or beyond -) often self-centered.

It can't be biological (genetic), however, since certain cultures, including some Amerindian ones, raise kids to think equally about their family and/or tribe, as they do about "What's in it for me?"

The infant, though, seems to care most about his/her own self; yet, ironically, the baby gives to the world ...for most who behold it tend to smile, and feel better than before the encounter.

As to 'the fundamental problem', there are two solutions: one is the critical mass concept, that if enough folks who inhabit the planet hold a certain idea as their guide it becomes part of the ethos, the planetary mores ...and the rest may be swept along as they scurry to conform -- to "go along to get along."

The other possible solution is that, via the internet, via You Tube, and broadcast television, a short course in the new paradigm for ethics would be available. In four to six little lessons it would not only teach a person what moral goodness is, but would also give homework exercises in the practice of goodness on which to report back to the class, for feedback and discussion of the experience and its results.

Social media, as you know, spreads information rapidly. This keeps hope alive, for it can spread good information - about moral goodness - as well as it can - and does - spread trivia. By means of intensive education stating the ethical principles clearly and understandably, it can succeed in turning out students who in their hearts want justice and respect for human dignity as much as Nelson Mandela did. (He passed away in December, 2013, at 95). He can serve as a role-model for what an ethical life can be, and the miracles it can achieve.

Such courses in living ethically are already under development, and are being implemented both by Peter Demerest at this site HERE http://www.amindforsuccess.com
as well as another version by Dr. David Mefford for The World Bank, to be put into effect - when ready - in developing nations.

How do you feel about these topics?

Any comments?
Last edited by prof on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
prof

Post by prof »

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Choose your words, for they become actions.
Understand your actions, for they become habits.
Study your habits, for they will become your
character. Develop your character, for it
becomes your destiny.
--Anonymous

[As quoted in Chapter Two of Katz & Harvey - LIVING THE GOOD LIFE.
http://tinyurl.com/28mtn56
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Sounds like a dead plea for a universal ethics based on your personal historically contingent opinion.
prof

Post by prof »

Hi, Hobbes Choice

Since this is a Forum on Ethical Theory, I would like to ask: What is your ethical theory?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

prof wrote:Hi, Hobbes Choice

Since this is a Forum on Ethical Theory, I would like to ask: What is your ethical theory?
From your perspective you would call it relativist.
There are no ethical statements that are true for all time, or all situations.
Each ethical proposition is based on the, often unstated, norms of the society that states them, and modified with each situation and circumstance.
Thus within each culture each ethical act or ethical position must submit to an ever changing social landscape.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

HexHammer wrote: You can't answer, that's fine, becuse no other common philosopher can't either.

I answered the particular comment you posed and I chose to answer, That you cannot comprehend the conclusion is not my problem.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

thedoc wrote:
HexHammer wrote: You can't answer, that's fine, becuse no other common philosopher can't either.

I answered the particular comment you posed and I chose to answer, That you cannot comprehend the conclusion is not my problem.
That was wrong too.
prof

Post by prof »

Speaking of ways to be right, I just came upon one more ethical technology, so to speak. Check it out.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-pl ... ssful.html

This is the kind of problem solving research we need, and need to spread around, so as to make an ethical world a true reality.

Comments?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Students are individuals, which is a fact, that American schools are failing to recognize.
prof

Post by prof »

thedoc wrote:Students are individuals, which is a fact, that American schools are failing to recognize.
Yes, doc, that is true. You are so right :!:

If I claim that today we need to improve education, and provide more of it, this does not meet with controversy – especially from educated people such as you here at this Forum. So I will:

What the world needs now are some basic applications of the discipline of Ethics. They are Education; Life Coaching {adult education}; and Therapy {remedial education.}

And if I further claim that good education of a child should start at birth, and that it should at least consist in teaching values, I don’t think I’ll get an argument …from this group.

As I define it, Education is applied Ethics. The job of the teacher is to get to know each student, their interests, and their innate gifts, and to show each student how to be and become all he or she is capable of being and becoming. Teachers need a small class because their job is to draw out from each student their background experience and help the student see the relevance, to understand how each topic learned is in some way relevant to the student’s life.

In addition the teacher (of the future) may function as a proctor who gives quizzes and exercises, and scores work-books, all to see if the pupils understood the material they saw on the screen. On the screen - or tablet - was a video lecture not only by an acknowledged genius in the field of the subject matter of that specific lesson, but also a master public speaker.
S/he teaches the lesson in that discipline, be it Physics, Math, English Grammar, Literary Appreciation, Poetry, Genetics, Information Technology, Programming, or the new science of Moral Psychology.

The classroom teacher in the future will also teach art appreciation, hands-on graphic and painting skills, music, voice training, the practical arts, and crafts - such as wood-working, carpentry, model-building, and some computer skills.
Most basic computer stuff will be taught by that world-class expert on the big screen, in 3D, with all the best props at his or her disposal - or on many little i-pad-like screens - and always with the teacher on hand to relate it to the child’s experience.

{Conception is Systemic-value; Perception is Extrinsic-value; but EXPERIENCE is Intrinsic-Value. S, E, and I. When we experience something, it becomes an integral part of our life}

Questions? Discussion?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

prof wrote:
thedoc wrote:Students are individuals, which is a fact, that American schools are failing to recognize.
Yes, doc, that is true. You are so right :!:

If I claim that today we need to improve education, and provide more of it, this does not meet with controversy – especially from educated people such as you here at this Forum. So I will:

What the world needs now are some basic applications of the discipline of Ethics. They are Education; Life Coaching {adult education}; and Therapy {remedial education.}

And if I further claim that good education of a child should start at birth, and that it should at least consist in teaching values, I don’t think I’ll get an argument …from this group.

As I define it, Education is applied Ethics. The job of the teacher is to get to know each student, their interests, and their innate gifts, and to show each student how to be and become all he or she is capable of being and becoming. Teachers need a small class because their job is to draw out from each student their background experience and help the student see the relevance, to understand how each topic learned is in some way relevant to the student’s life.

In addition the teacher (of the future) may function as a proctor who gives quizzes and exercises, and scores work-books, all to see if the pupils understood the material they saw on the screen. On the screen - or tablet - was a video lecture not only by an acknowledged genius in the field of the subject matter of that specific lesson, but also a master public speaker.
S/he teaches the lesson in that discipline, be it Physics, Math, English Grammar, Literary Appreciation, Poetry, Genetics, Information Technology, Programming, or the new science of Moral Psychology.

The classroom teacher in the future will also teach art appreciation, hands-on graphic and painting skills, music, voice training, the practical arts, and crafts - such as wood-working, carpentry, model-building, and some computer skills.
Most basic computer stuff will be taught by that world-class expert on the big screen, in 3D, with all the best props at his or her disposal - or on many little i-pad-like screens - and always with the teacher on hand to relate it to the child’s experience.

{Conception is Systemic-value; Perception is Extrinsic-value; but EXPERIENCE is Intrinsic-Value. S, E, and I. When we experience something, it becomes an integral part of our life}

Questions? Discussion?
You mentioned video lectures and lessons as a teaching tool but there are some areas that will need a teacher physically present for the best results. These in particular, "hands-on graphic and painting skills, music, voice training, the practical arts, and crafts - such as wood-working, carpentry, model-building," will continue to be best taught by a person who is physically present and can directly interact with the student, with only limited use of video.
prof

Post by prof »

The most important thing to be taught in primary school is for pupils and students to be aware of, and mindful of, The Central Question of Life - which is:

What choice can I make or action can I take, in this moment, to create the greatest net value?

Here, by the author, Peter Demerest, is some further elaboration on what "greatest net value" means:

"to create the greatest net value… — The valuegenic mindset is not about getting value, it’s about creating value. You are a creator of value and the more value you create, the more value you will experience: sow first, then reap. Sow abundantly, reap abundantly!

“Net value” means:

Improved quality of life
With all things considered (pros and cons),
For all people concerned (yourself AND others),
Both short and long-term.

Notice that The Central Question does not end in either “for me” or “for others.” It is about what creates "the greatest net value" - period, end of sentence. The choice and action that has the greatest capacity or potential capacity to actually result in a net increase in quality of life, IS what has the greatest net value.

It can be very easy to fall into the trap of thinking that net value or improved quality of life means whatever feels good to you, whatever seems easiest to you, or whatever gets YOU what you want. While that’s all part of it, it not all about you.

The more you study neuro-axiology, the more you will come to recognize that we are all in this thing called life together and that a valuegenic mindset includes and requires a proper balance between valid self-centric concerns and valid other-centric concerns."

Such a balance, in Ethics, is called "justice." Justice is about bringing things into balance.

Also important to teach early, in language the individual, at that level, can comprehend is:
THE LAW OF VALUE GENERATION.

Let me explain. The Law of Gravity is always operative. So also is the Law of Value Generation. It says that when our actions are consistent with the logical, existential, Hierarchy of Value (the HOV) - which, as you recall, is the formula I > E > S - we then generate positive value; we are adding value. And when our thoughts and actions are contrary to the HOV, we either don't achieve the highest potential value, or we diminish value.

The choice is ours to either add value or to subtract value. If we diminish or subtract value we are suckers ! That's what stupid people do. We will never be a moral success that way.

If we want to be a success, then we will comply with the HOV. We will put people first - above things and numbers ...above materialism and above other ideologies. Human relation concerns trump resource concerns, which in turn trump systems, theories, ideas, norms, finances, etc. We will thus get our priorities straight :!: This is the most important understanding to grasp in Individual Ethics.

Comments? Questions?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Watching one´s thoughts, actions, habits etc. can also lead to procrestination.

How much time should be allowed for hesitating before each performance ?
prof

Post by prof »

Hi, duszek

You ask: "Watching one´s thoughts, actions, habits etc. can also lead to procrestination.

How much time should be allowed for hesitating before each performance ?"

You do not ask the Central Question every moment of the day, only when the circumstances arise. It is wise, and appropriate to ask it of yourself when you want to improve your financial situation, or when a perception gap occurs between you and another individual. The next question might be: What can I invent [or what app could I devise] that would fulfill a need? or "How can I innovate or redesign an existing item or website so as to improve it?" Or "What can I say or do to restore harmony in this relationship?" Or "How can I boost that person?" "Can I give a truly sincere compliment? Would a hug (along with a whispered 'I love you') do it? What can I say that is inclusive - using "we" - to remind that party of our partnership?

Being mindful of what really counts in life, being aware of the HOV, does not have to result in procrastination. Once something becomes a habit, one can respond pretty quickly. {Isn't it so that to fail to "watch one's thoughts" is often to be thoughtless.? If your thoughts are sound, your actions are likely to be moral as well. Recall how I defined a moral action in one of my earlier threads.}

To be a success in life, one tip is to wear - in your imagination - a large white lapel button which says on it in bold red letters "DO IT NOW :!: " or it says "Do it yesterday !!" then you will rarely if ever put off for tomorrow what you can do today
- unless there are mitigating circumstances ...such as being retired, comfortable financially, under no pressures, etc. - in which case you no longer even wear a watch, don't know what day of the week it is; and don't care.