Is religion irrational?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Is religion irrational?

Post by Immanuel Can »

"who created God?"
"how was he created?"
do you have an answer for that in your religious scripture?
Are you positing the existence of a *created* god, Said?

Neither the Scriptures nor any analytic understanding of the world "God" suggests He can be "created" by anything else. If something else could create Him, then would that entity not have to be bigger and more powerful than God? Would not that then make the God you're talking about merely a "god," a minor, created being, and the bigger and more powerful entity the real "God"?

This sounds like Hinduism to me. Hinduism seems to hold there's one uber-God and a bunch of lesser, created "gods." Are you then a Hindu or a Muslim?
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

saqib_ali wrote:that is what the video was about, debate about evaluating the scientific assertions made by Quran.
even if there were accurate scientific statements in the quran that would only prove that people of the time did in fact know those things

the claim that people of the time did not know these things therefore it must be gods work shows amazing lack of basic critical thinking skills

i am a increasingly puzzled by the notion of a 'correct' religion

i feel comfortable with the southern baptist style of christianity, and i feel comfortable with the bible - but it is obvious that were i born in, say, egypt i would likely fee the same thing about sunni islam and the quran

but the question of which one is correct mystifies me - by what criteria would you even judge that, how would you verify your answer
saqib_ali

Post by saqib_ali »

@Immanuel Can,
and what have i written in my 700 words long article?
saqib_ali

Post by saqib_ali »

@kayle
so you are proposing that people in 6th century did know all those scientific facts some of which were discovered in late 18th century? good, it's easy 'calling' yourself a "rationalist" :D ,

secondly you say that correct scientific assertions are not the criteria for judging a religion. what about moral and social rules aimed at a better society? will that be fine?
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

saqib_ali wrote:@kayle
so you are proposing that people in 6th century did know all those scientific facts some of which were discovered in late 18th century? good, it's easy 'calling' yourself a "rationalist" :D ,
could you give me some examples of what you mean

i know some muslims make a big deal about the quran stating that the moon shines by reflected light, and claim that this information could have only come from god - but the ancient greeks knew that
secondly you say that correct scientific assertions are not the criteria for judging a religion. what about moral and social rules aimed at a better society? will that be fine?
what makes islamic moral rules better than, say, budhist ones? if we have criteria to answer that question we dont really need either set of moral rules do we
uwot

Post by uwot »

Kayla wrote:what makes islamic moral rules better than, say, budhist ones? if we have criteria to answer that question we dont really need either set of moral rules do we
That is brilliant. I'm definitely pinching that idea.
saqib_ali

Post by saqib_ali »

"could you give me some examples of what you mean"

that means you haven't watched the video, or did not watch it full.

secondly the criteria can simply the impact on society that the rules had? i suggest to study the era of "Khilafat e Rashida" or 630-to further and compare it to pre-islamic era. and about budhism i wonder if they actually have any set of rules(or if those are practicable in the contemporary world)
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

saqib_ali wrote:that means you haven't watched the video, or did not watch it full.
dude its a four hour video and its not in english

why can't you just give me a few examples ?
secondly the criteria can simply the impact on society that the rules had? i suggest to study the era of "Khilafat e Rashida" or 630-to further and compare it to pre-islamic era. and about budhism i wonder if they actually have any set of rules(or if those are practicable in the contemporary world)
be very careful there when talking about what is or is not suitable for the modern world

islamic jurisprudence depends very heavily on eyewitness testimony - even though we know from modern criminology that eyewitness testimony is worthless