Home Invasions by Criminals

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Is it reasonable to rejoice at the death of Gypsy Watts? Why or why not?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 5

Arising_uk

Re: Home Invasions by Criminals

Post by Arising_uk »

Even if you proportion it by race you have a vastly higher incidence of such things.

Which you did even when the black population was not as you say. In fact you've had this violent factor pretty much since your inception. What do think is the explanation?

From what I see it appears to be the black people being killed so I'm not sure what your worrying about?
duszek

Post by duszek »

Is there a reliable statistic (by UN or some other serious organization) about the rate of homicides in all the countries worldwide ?

And:

Have the rates been constant over the years or have there been changes because of historical events ?

Syria might come top of the list at the moment but it might have been different a few years ago.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

I'm sure there must be. Here is a page on Wikipedia with statistics about gun deaths in different countries, breaking them down into homicides, suicides, accidents and unknown. I'm sure that a page of non-gun homicide statistics would also be a useful part of the overall picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_deaths
John K

Post by John K »

The Voice of Time wrote:It is outrageous that he was killed for merely trying to steal! The 75 year old must be sent to jail!
"Merely trying to steal?" Was Watts armed?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

These stats suggest that per 100,000 people (i.e. adjusted for population) there are about 40 times as many gun-related deaths in the USA as in the UK each year. However, when looking just at homicides, the gap is greater - there are about 90 times as many gun related homicides per year in the USA as in the UK per 100,000 people.

There may of course be more non-gun homicides in the UK than the USA - I don't see any figures for that.
duszek

Post by duszek »

So:

the most dangerous country to travel to is NOT the US. With all its guns.

Neither is it Italy, surprisingly. With all its Mafia.

The crime rate in Singapore is very low, as I heard. It is so small that I could not see it on the world map.
Their criminal law is severe.

Are there any factors which influence intentional killing rates ?
duszek

Post by duszek »

There is still room for improvement in the US, yes, but you are still relatively lucky to live in such a relatively safe country like the US, tbieter. :mrgreen:

What should people in .... say ?

I heard that New England was a pretty safe neighborhood. And it is pretty too, especially in the fall, with all the colorful leaves.
John K

Post by John K »

Arising_uk wrote:Any explanations for why such things occurs so often in America and hardly at all, if ever, in Norway?
Ever heard of Anders Breivik?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

John K wrote:Ever heard of Anders Breivik?
I have and it's exactly because it's so rare in Norway that it came as such a shock. Whereas when we hear of another mass murdering gun-man in the US we pretty much just shrug now-a-days.
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

I live in an upper-middle class part of the rather large university town Uppsala in Sweden. In this part everyone locks the door, and have alarms guarding the house.

However, we used to live in the countryside town of Karlstad, there it was actually ok to leave home for a couple of hours without locking the door. Isn't it the same everywhere? The more people, the more locks?

Regarding rejoicing - it's a tragedy that people get criminal. Ok, the guy who shot the intruder was maybe not doing wrong, you have a right to defend yourself. But why rejoicing?
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

tbieter wrote:A homeowner shot and killed an armed man who allegedly broke into his house west of Sandstone, Minn., early Thursday, the Pine County Sheriff’s Office reported.

Gypsy Watts, 23, was killed after entering the house of the 75-year-old man, whom officials have not yet named.

Watts, of Sandstone, has a criminal history in Pine County and North Dakota, Blackwell said. Watts was convicted in Minnesota of carrying a pistol without a permit, among other things. In 2009, he pleaded guilty in North Dakota to robbery and burglary charges, records show.
http://www.startribune.com/local/231980351.html

re·joice [ri-jois] Show IPA verb, re·joiced, re·joic·ing.
verb (used without object)
to be glad; take delight (often followed by in ): to rejoice in another's happiness.
Emotionally I agree, but intellectually I understand that it was not totally the fault of the intruder, that he did so. Of course if one enters your home, all that matters is that you fear for your life, as you know not what the intruder intends. It is your home, your safe haven and he was both unknown and uninvited. The intruder knows the risk when he invades, therefore takes the responsibility upon himself. However care should be taken before killing someone, it is final, if in hindsight they turn out to actually be a lost mentally handicapped ward of someone, then not only shall the world smite you, but you shall do the same to yourself. Ignorance then, can be an excuse!
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=tbieter post_id=151435 time=1384564619 user_id=45]
As an old man residing alone, I rejoice that there is now one less dangerous criminal acting near my home.

This consequence of his misuse of his personal freedom was reasonably foreseeable. This consequence (the criminal intruder's death from an act of self-defense by the homeowner) was lawful (within the limits of the law) and, therefore, was just.

One should hope that the circumstances of his death will deter other criminals who are tempted to engage in home invasions.
[/quote]

lawful : therefore just... is a contradiction in terms. The law is no arbiter of justice and justice exists or not regardless of whether law does.