reasonvemotion

Re: TRUTH!

Post by reasonvemotion »

I agree with that.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

reasonvemotion wrote:I agree with that.
So do you think that will make me a better husband? Time is short after all!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

It seems everyone wants to tell everyone else the truth. However, who is capable of impartially experiencing truth free of the need for consolation and self justification?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

It seems everyone wants to tell everyone else the truth. However, who is capable of impartially experiencing truth free of the need for consolation and self justification?
So far I have not advocated "tell everyone the truth"

Perhaps you are capable of this freedom you are promoting.
Last edited by reasonvemotion on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Spheres wrote:

So do you think that will make me a better husband? Time is short after all!

That is a tough one. LOL

I consider myself a person not suitable for marriage, although I tried it.

Didn't like it. Too restricting, he wanted to know where I was all the time, even kept a diary of what I did every day. Weird eh?

So I am the least qualified person to ask for advice.

I am essentially a loner.

Sometimes, even a visit is enough to stress me out. :lol:

I will venture to add, that, I think you will give it a better shot than I did, if that is any consolation.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

reasonvemotion wrote:
So far I have not advocated "tell everyone the truth"

Perhaps you are capable of this freedom you are promoting.
I worded that wrong. I meant that we consider the question in terms of others. What is it that prevents us from being open to truth? And no, I'm not capable of this freedom.
QMan

Post by QMan »

Want to know about truth, watch the comedy "The Invention of Lying"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ThtN7qoWgM
Kuznetzova

Post by Kuznetzova »

Nick_A wrote:
The truth is unpleasant and therefore unpopular:
Humans have invented a social "reality" that denies reality itself.

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear. -- Herbert Agar

Truth is like the town whore. Everybody knows her, but nonetheless, it's embarrassing to meet her on the street. WOLFGANG BORCHERT, The Outsider
The latte-sipping academics have a word for this concept already.

I think it might be 'Consensus Reality'
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Anytime someone tells you there's no Truth,

Ask him/her, "Is that true?"

A self-defeating contradiction is the clearest evidence you're ever going to get of an irrational point of view.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear. -- Herbert Agar

Truth is like the town whore. Everybody knows her, but nonetheless, it's embarrassing to meet her on the street. WOLFGANG BORCHERT, The Outsider
1st postulation is describing a psychological phenomenon called "groupthink" it's a terrible aspect of the mind, where we can't think for our selves and preforms parrot speeches, some even do horrible things that is against their nature.

The Milgram Experiment is a famous study of the Vietnam soldiers why they did horrific things to civilians.

2nd postulation is when we are selective in our way of thinking, what usually appeal to our inner selfish desires in Freudian terms, it can be so strong that we punish people for bringing bad news, leaders ruin their company/country because of delusions and ignorence.

3rd postulation no, not all will know the truth and believe in hear say and roumers, many will naively jump to conclusions, but sometimes yes we sweep the truth under the rug and do the mummers play.
SpheresOfBalance

Kuznetzova wrote:
Nick_A wrote:

The latte-sipping academics have a word for this concept already.

I think it might be 'Consensus Reality'
Some see man's truth when considering the question of truth's existence. I have always looked far beyond man's version, not to say that all necessarily have self promoting versions, but the truth that's 'out there' considers all things, especially self bias.
SpheresOfBalance

Immanuel Can wrote:Anytime someone tells you there's no Truth,

Ask him/her, "Is that true?"

A self-defeating contradiction is the clearest evidence you're ever going to get of an irrational point of view.
I like it! As this is what opens the door to 'true' philosophy!
SpheresOfBalance

HexHammer wrote:

1st postulation is describing a psychological phenomenon called "groupthink" it's a terrible aspect of the mind, where we can't think for our selves and preforms parrot speeches, some even do horrible things that is against their nature.

The Milgram Experiment is a famous study of the Vietnam soldiers why they did horrific things to civilians.

2nd postulation is when we are selective in our way of thinking, what usually appeal to our inner selfish desires in Freudian terms, it can be so strong that we punish people for bringing bad news, leaders ruin their company/country because of delusions and ignorence.

3rd postulation no, not all will know the truth and believe in hear say and roumers, many will naively jump to conclusions, but sometimes yes we sweep the truth under the rug and do the mummers play.
Yes, the truth can only be found when the self has been exposed, problem is, many are in denial, whether aware of it or not.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Ginkgo post_id=144177 time=1376309839 user_id=7624]
[quote="bobevenson"][size=125][b]"Whatever may be the limitations which trammel inquiry elsewhere, we believe that the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."[/b][/size]
Inscribed on Bascom Hall, U.W.-Madison[/quote]

Bob I've been to the University of Wisconsin. It's very good, but it isn't that good.
[/quote]

With degrees like African Cultural Studies, which are almost entirely subjective, they really don't understand Or care about truth.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Nick_A post_id=144443 time=1376530053 user_id=7881]
[/quote]

Anyone without ego problems, aka an adult.