Being "GENDERFLUID" ?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Being "GENDERFLUID" ?

Post by tbieter »

"Toni Foxx, 27, is a freelance fashion designer with the tall, slim build of a natural clotheshorse. If that description leaves you wondering whether Foxx is a he or a she, that’s the way Foxx prefers it.

Foxx is “genderfluid” — one of several relatively new terms to describe people who consider themselves some combination of male and female. “I’m a way better person since I started identifying this way,” said Foxx, who recently moved from Minneapolis to California and is developing a genderfluid clothing line, Label Killer."
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/224602921.html

It is my understanding that at the chromosome level, a human being is either a male or a female. Male and female are identified and distinguished by the chromosome numbers. An individual cannot be both male and female at the same time and in the same respect. Acting or thinking otherwise violates the law of identity and is irrational. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_identity
Bill Wiltrack

Re: Being "GENDERFLUID" ?

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Transvestite and unigender/intergender/dualgender not good enough?
uwot

Post by uwot »

tbieter wrote:It is my understanding that at the chromosome level, a human being is either a male or a female. Male and female are identified and distinguished by the chromosome numbers. An individual cannot be both male and female at the same time and in the same respect. Acting or thinking otherwise violates the law of identity and is irrational.
What puzzles people like me, male, married* and monogamous for the record, is why people like you care what people call or think about themselves. It smacks of hypocrisy when the same people insist that choice is an essential component of a free market. What say you, sir? I promise not to be nasty.

*Of course, these days one must clarify, my spouse of 20 years is female; that's just the way I am.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

tbieter wrote:It is my understanding that at the chromosome level, a human being is either a male or a female.
your understanding is not entirely correct

for one thing not everyone comes with a neat XY or XX pair of chromosomes - although the vast majority do

but just because you have an XY or an XX pair does not mean that they express themselves in a typical way in any particular case

there are known cases, for instance, of XY people being born with external female genitals - because their bodies were not actually responding the testosterone

but in any case if someone decides. purely on a whim, that they are neither a boy nor a girl but something in between - this seems to "neither break my leg nor pick my pocket" - so there is no reason for concern

this is high school biology level stuff
henry quirk

been 'here', done 'this'

Post by henry quirk »

marjoramblues

Re: been 'here', done 'this'

Post by marjoramblues »

henry quirk wrote:http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27556

'nuff said
What does it say ? I'm a bit over-linked today...
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Just found myself a new forum...

There are only THREE rules of The Cellar.

Do not try to break the law using the Cellar.
Do not try to break the Cellar.
Do not be "intolerably irritating".

...seems simple enough.
.................................................Image

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

HA!

You'll fit in well, Bill.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

marjoramblues,

It's a long thread with lots of meanderings...can't really do it (or myself) justice by way of condensation.

If you're not up to the task of takin' a gander today, try another day.

Enough to say: gender fluidity is hooey...deviations from the baseline are just that, 'deviations' (deviations do not redefine the baseline)...is there no 'third sex'...personal self-definition doesn't trump reality.
marjoramblues

Re:

Post by marjoramblues »

henry quirk wrote:marjoramblues,

It's a long thread with lots of meanderings...can't really do it (or myself) justice by way of condensation.

If you're not up to the task of takin' a gander today, try another day.

Enough to say: gender fluidity is hooey...deviations from the baseline are just that, 'deviations' (deviations do not redefine the baseline)...is there no 'third sex'...personal self-definition doesn't trump reality.
Oooooh, I read that as 'gender fluidity is honey'....
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

'gender fluidity is honey'

HA!

Whole whack of folks, it seems, who'd like you to believe it *'is' honey... ;)

*it's not
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

A person can dress however they want.
A person can act in whatever manner suits them.
A person can have surgery to physically alter their appearance and their body structure.
But, so far as I know, there is no way to alter the genetic makeup to change the chromosomes.
And even if the Chromosomes don't completely control how the body develops, they are what they are.
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

tbieter wrote:"Toni Foxx, 27, is a freelance fashion designer with the tall, slim build of a natural clotheshorse. If that description leaves you wondering whether Foxx is a he or a she, that’s the way Foxx prefers it.

Foxx is “genderfluid” — one of several relatively new terms to describe people who consider themselves some combination of male and female. “I’m a way better person since I started identifying this way,” said Foxx, who recently moved from Minneapolis to California and is developing a genderfluid clothing line, Label Killer."
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/224602921.html

It is my understanding that at the chromosome level, a human being is either a male or a female. Male and female are identified and distinguished by the chromosome numbers. An individual cannot be both male and female at the same time and in the same respect. Acting or thinking otherwise violates the law of identity and is irrational. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_identity
Just more 'junk terminology' from people with nothing better to do. Our sex is determined at conception. End of story.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

Melchior wrote:Just more 'junk terminology' from people with nothing better to do. Our sex is determined at conception. End of story.
really?

how would you label an XY individual whose body does not respond to testosterone and who have mostly female characteristics including female genitals (but no uterus)?

Such an individual may well be thought of as a girl from birth, and think of herself as a girl - and not be aware of any issues until puberty - and that will not change their sexual organs or their gender identity