I'm writing a book...

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

So what do you think?

Dude I'd totally get it for a couple dollars!
75%
Not my thing.
No votes
That'd waste my time bro.
No votes
You're wasting your time bro.
No votes
That's the stupidest effing idea I've ever heard.
25%

Total votes: 4

kevino

I'm writing a book...

Post by kevino »

So basically I'm a 16 year old kid from suburbia, I don't study science much but I'm into psychology. I have a really deep mind, not trying to be narcissistic or anything, but I always think about these philosophical concepts and the meanings of everything and in rich white suburbia most people are too shallow to even understand anything I think about in that way, so... I decided to write a book. Not a book really, more like all my personal theories and my viewpoints on basic philosophical and moral concepts... Not like quantum mechanics or anything, but things from a range of morals to everyone being a selfish hedonist to the nonexistence of free will to the afterlife and existence of god and drugs and just like, social issues dealing with science and morals and philosophical issues, my views on everything i can think of. And i try and make all the summaries of these topics really short, like a page to a couple pages long, so it's kinda non-confusing and easy to digest... It's been about two weeks since I started and I have about 50 pages done, in microsoft word, like 23,000 words, and now I realize, it started as a project but I could actually write, a decently sized book, like it became a reality for me... So i was wondering, I know no one would publish it so I'd have to self-publish as an ebook or something, but do you think anyone would actually read it? Like I don't want fame or riches or anything, I'm not that cocky, but I think I have a really interesting mind and a really unique grasp on reason and morality and the philosophy of, everything, and maybe people would think I'm as interesting as I think I am, but really I'm just wondering... If it would have any chance of selling decently, if I spread the word and stuff. All i want is a couple thousand dollars so I can get equipment to make music solo, cause that's been my dream for years and I know I have potential to be a musician, just not the means to, and if a hundred-page or so little digestible philosophy of everything book, would sell a decent small amount, it might just work... I'm only asking here cause like, I don't know anything about the philosophical literature world... And you guys prob do.. I swear in it a little and make metaphors and don't write in it like an elderly intellectual professor person, but i think it makes it even better reading it like it's a teenager talking to you instead of some dry and confusing old learned person... I am sophisticated though, js. Sorry its like 4 am and I'm really tired and I tried kinda explaining it so sorry if this is really long... But do you think anyone would be interested in reading something like that, a book of my personal views of all the basic concepts of philosophy and morality and social morality, in page-ish long down-to-earth descriptions? Be honest, cause even if it wouldnt sell, at least I documented my thoughts at this age, and that's all I wanted when i started...
bobevenson

Re: I'm writing a book...

Post by bobevenson »

kevino wrote:So basically I'm a 16 year old kid from suburbia, I don't study science much but I'm into psychology. I have a really deep mind, not trying to be narcissistic or anything, but I always think about these philosophical concepts and the meanings of everything and in rich white suburbia most people are too shallow to even understand anything I think about in that way, so... I decided to write a book. Not a book really, more like all my personal theories and my viewpoints on basic philosophical and moral concepts... Not like quantum mechanics or anything, but things from a range of morals to everyone being a selfish hedonist to the nonexistence of free will to the afterlife and existence of god and drugs and just like, social issues dealing with science and morals and philosophical issues, my views on everything i can think of. And i try and make all the summaries of these topics really short, like a page to a couple pages long, so it's kinda non-confusing and easy to digest... It's been about two weeks since I started and I have about 50 pages done, in microsoft word, like 23,000 words, and now I realize, it started as a project but I could actually write, a decently sized book, like it became a reality for me... So i was wondering, I know no one would publish it so I'd have to self-publish as an ebook or something, but do you think anyone would actually read it? Like I don't want fame or riches or anything, I'm not that cocky, but I think I have a really interesting mind and a really unique grasp on reason and morality and the philosophy of, everything, and maybe people would think I'm as interesting as I think I am, but really I'm just wondering... If it would have any chance of selling decently, if I spread the word and stuff. All i want is a couple thousand dollars so I can get equipment to make music solo, cause that's been my dream for years and I know I have potential to be a musician, just not the means to, and if a hundred-page or so little digestible philosophy of everything book, would sell a decent small amount, it might just work... I'm only asking here cause like, I don't know anything about the philosophical literature world... And you guys prob do.. I swear in it a little and make metaphors and don't write in it like an elderly intellectual professor person, but i think it makes it even better reading it like it's a teenager talking to you instead of some dry and confusing old learned person... I am sophisticated though, js. Sorry its like 4 am and I'm really tired and I tried kinda explaining it so sorry if this is really long... But do you think anyone would be interested in reading something like that, a book of my personal views of all the basic concepts of philosophy and morality and social morality, in page-ish long down-to-earth descriptions? Be honest, cause even if it wouldnt sell, at least I documented my thoughts at this age, and that's all I wanted when i started...
You know, you sound like somebody who might understand "The Ouzo Prophecy" at http://church-of-ouzo.com/pdf/ouzo-prophecy.pdf. If you do, I'd say go for it because when you mentioned 4am, it reminded me of when I wrote the notes on the Ouzo Cross, which I started at about 10pm and finished at about 4am.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

bobevenson wrote:You know, you sound like somebody who might understand "The Ouzo Prophecy"
That may be true, but it would make you unique amongst the members of this forum. My advice, Kevino, would be to try and put your thoughts into a context, maybe like Sophies World, The Diary of Adrian Mole, or indeed any Sci-Fi you choose. There isn't a huge market for thoughts of teenagers, but if you can weave them into a story, you might be onto something. Best of luck.
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

So basically I'm a 16 year old kid from suburbia, I don't study science much but I'm into psychology. I have a really deep mind, not trying to be narcissistic or anything, but I always think about these philosophical concepts and the meanings of everything and in rich white suburbia most people are too shallow to even understand anything I think about in that way, so... I decided to write a book.
You're 16. I feel pretty confident saying you don't have a really deep mind at all. You simply think about stuff associated with "deep thinking" -- but your level of thought is probably quite shallow and, almost certainly, very philosophically naive.
So i was wondering, I know no one would publish it so I'd have to self-publish as an ebook or something, but do you think anyone would actually read it?
Maybe your parents and siblings and one or two of your friends, but that's it. Nobody wants to read the thoughts of a 16-year-old when they can read the thoughts of philosophical geniuses on the same topics. And, again, you're probably not a very sophisticated thinker at all.
But do you think anyone would be interested in reading something like that, a book of my personal views of all the basic concepts of philosophy and morality and social morality, in page-ish long down-to-earth descriptions? Be honest, cause even if it wouldnt sell, at least I documented my thoughts at this age, and that's all I wanted when i started...
Do it for yourself, so you can see how silly and immature a thinker you were at 16. My guess is that you'll never progress beyond what you already can do philosophically, so you'll never come to that realization. You'll always think you're a sophisticated thinker, when in reality you'll just be stuck at a 16-year-old's level when it comes to reasoning.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Do it anyway. Philosophy is like everything else: the more you do it, the better you get. There are only two rules: 1. Everyone else is wrong. 2. More importantly, you are wrong. If you don't challenge your own convictions, you're not doing it right. Fiveredapples avatar is a bloke called Wittgenstein. In his twenties he wrote one of the most important philosophical books ever. He thought it was so good he gave up philosophy. Ten years later he realised there's more to it. Some people are lucky enough to get smarter with age.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

kevino wrote:So basically I'm a 16 year old kid from suburbia, I don't study science much but I'm into psychology. I have a really deep mind, not trying to be narcissistic or anything, but I always think about these philosophical concepts and the meanings of everything and in rich white suburbia most people are too shallow to even understand anything I think about in that way, so... I decided to write a book. Not a book really, more like all my personal theories and my viewpoints on basic philosophical and moral concepts... Not like quantum mechanics or anything, but things from a range of morals to everyone being a selfish hedonist to the nonexistence of free will to the afterlife and existence of god and drugs and just like, social issues dealing with science and morals and philosophical issues, my views on everything i can think of. And i try and make all the summaries of these topics really short, like a page to a couple pages long, so it's kinda non-confusing and easy to digest... It's been about two weeks since I started and I have about 50 pages done, in microsoft word, like 23,000 words, and now I realize, it started as a project but I could actually write, a decently sized book, like it became a reality for me... So i was wondering, I know no one would publish it so I'd have to self-publish as an ebook or something, but do you think anyone would actually read it? Like I don't want fame or riches or anything, I'm not that cocky, but I think I have a really interesting mind and a really unique grasp on reason and morality and the philosophy of, everything, and maybe people would think I'm as interesting as I think I am, but really I'm just wondering... If it would have any chance of selling decently, if I spread the word and stuff. All i want is a couple thousand dollars so I can get equipment to make music solo, cause that's been my dream for years and I know I have potential to be a musician, just not the means to, and if a hundred-page or so little digestible philosophy of everything book, would sell a decent small amount, it might just work... I'm only asking here cause like, I don't know anything about the philosophical literature world... And you guys prob do.. I swear in it a little and make metaphors and don't write in it like an elderly intellectual professor person, but i think it makes it even better reading it like it's a teenager talking to you instead of some dry and confusing old learned person... I am sophisticated though, js. Sorry its like 4 am and I'm really tired and I tried kinda explaining it so sorry if this is really long... But do you think anyone would be interested in reading something like that, a book of my personal views of all the basic concepts of philosophy and morality and social morality, in page-ish long down-to-earth descriptions? Be honest, cause even if it wouldnt sell, at least I documented my thoughts at this age, and that's all I wanted when i started...
I feel that your poll is too full of negatives. I would have added:
"I'm sure it will serve you well."
Which is the one I would have selected.
To me, it would make no difference if it sold or not, as that is not the only way it could benefit you. As to making money and music, good luck, especially the music! I really, really, really, love music!

Good Luck!
Qxer

Post by Qxer »

With philosophy experience is key. Although youthful minds are usually promoted for their purity and original-factor, I don't think your book would sell much. I suggest you start writing essays and/or short stories and submit them to numerous magazines or local newspapers. The challenge of writing a full-on novel about philosophy/psychology/science/whatever at your age is just lack of experience. I mean, think about it: have you ever lived on your own for more than 2 months? You have a lack of connection with your targeted audience (mostly being adults because teenagers don't really care about philosophy).

Now, knowing all I said: prove me wrong. I dare you. I want you to.

Good luck.
John Romeo

Post by John Romeo »

Write for yourself, whether or not people buy it is inconsequential. You'll likely espouse ideas that have already been held for centuries by various philosophers...being a 'deep thinker' is not the same as being an original thinking. ;-)
WilsonSmith

Post by WilsonSmith »

Even I am writing one of the books and the thing that inspired me a lot is about the creative writing. While writing there are so many things that we have to give importance and this can only be experienced when you write and go with the skills that are required in writing. Correct me if i am wrong, it can be happen that while writing a book here can be certain elements that can help in making the concepts to come more creatively.
j9t

Post by j9t »

kevino, are you working on the book; what’s the latest?

I’d just go for it. Write down what’s on your mind. Review it. Edit it. And then see whether you feel comfortable (self-)publishing it. If nothing else, use it to publish it one by one on your own blog, or maybe in fora like this one.

A tip: Look for some articles and books about writing. There’s loads to learn about writing itself but that’s really important if you are to write a book that’s not just easy but maybe even captivating to read. A long paragraph like you wrote at first is not just tough for you to write :)
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Mine is at tiny.cc/TheWholeStory It's feature-complete but far from finished.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=SpheresOfBalance post_id=142831 time=1374860836 user_id=6407]
[quote="kevino"]So basically I'm a 16 year old kid from suburbia, I don't study science much but I'm into psychology. I have a really deep mind, not trying to be narcissistic or anything, but I always think about these philosophical concepts and the meanings of everything and in rich white suburbia most people are too shallow to even understand anything I think about in that way, so... I decided to write a book. Not a book really, more like all my personal theories and my viewpoints on basic philosophical and moral concepts... Not like quantum mechanics or anything, but things from a range of morals to everyone being a selfish hedonist to the nonexistence of free will to the afterlife and existence of god and drugs and just like, social issues dealing with science and morals and philosophical issues, my views on everything i can think of. And i try and make all the summaries of these topics really short, like a page to a couple pages long, so it's kinda non-confusing and easy to digest... It's been about two weeks since I started and I have about 50 pages done, in microsoft word, like 23,000 words, and now I realize, it started as a project but I could actually write, a decently sized book, like it became a reality for me... So i was wondering, I know no one would publish it so I'd have to self-publish as an ebook or something, but do you think anyone would actually read it? Like I don't want fame or riches or anything, I'm not that cocky, but I think I have a really interesting mind and a really unique grasp on reason and morality and the philosophy of, everything, and maybe people would think I'm as interesting as I think I am, but really I'm just wondering... If it would have any chance of selling decently, if I spread the word and stuff. All i want is a couple thousand dollars so I can get equipment to make music solo, cause that's been my dream for years and I know I have potential to be a musician, just not the means to, and if a hundred-page or so little digestible philosophy of everything book, would sell a decent small amount, it might just work... I'm only asking here cause like, I don't know anything about the philosophical literature world... And you guys prob do.. I swear in it a little and make metaphors and don't write in it like an elderly intellectual professor person, but i think it makes it even better reading it like it's a teenager talking to you instead of some dry and confusing old learned person... I am sophisticated though, js. Sorry its like 4 am and I'm really tired and I tried kinda explaining it so sorry if this is really long... But do you think anyone would be interested in reading something like that, a book of my personal views of all the basic concepts of philosophy and morality and social morality, in page-ish long down-to-earth descriptions? Be honest, cause even if it wouldnt sell, at least I documented my thoughts at this age, and that's all I wanted when i started...[/quote]
I feel that your poll is too full of negatives. I would have added:
"I'm sure it will serve you well."
Which is the one I would have selected.
To me, it would make no difference if it sold or not, as that is not the only way it could benefit you. As to making money and music, good luck, especially the music! I really, really, really, love music!

Good Luck!
[/quote]

I would have chosen "Fuck no! Have you seen my library already?! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 6y_pfCpYg/)"