A Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Justice is excellence of mind Look at the city, which is within, and pay attention that no disorder occurs such as overabundance or want.

No just person can be unjust any more than heat can produce cold. Justice is a thing more precious than pieces of gold it is perfection there is nothing else.

Justice clearly is wiser and better and abler is virtue and wisdom, whereas injustice creates division and hate and fighting. Justice imparts harmony and friendship of human life.

Justice is the only virtue, which remains in a society when all the other virtues which are, temperance, courage and wisdom, have disappeared Justice, extends through all the notes of the scale, and produces harmony in its original form, and does the utmost to maintain intact.

That is justice the excellence of the mind. Look at the city, which is within, and pay attention that no disorder occurs such as overabundance or want. Now justice is in some way or other the most complete mastery over the entire human being.

Be patient under suffering is best, and that we should not give way to impatience, as there is no knowing whether such things are good or evil; and nothing is gained by impatience; also, because no human thing is of serious importance, and grief stands in the way of that which at the moment is most required. Justice imparts harmony and friendship I believe the truth of the matter of human life.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

There are four virtues, knowledge, courage, temperance, and justice. Good counsel is knowledge clearly gives a society the title of wise and good in counsel as perfect guardians presiding and ruling.

The only virtue which remains in the State when the other virtues of temperance and courage and wisdom are abstracted; is justice the fourth a remaining one.

Beaten, trampled, and dented by the waves of society in all sorts of ways Justice can hardly be distinguished, it is so covered over like some ogre covered in seaweed and shells and stones has little light. And so perplexing we go about seeking justice when it is right here not far off in the distance we fail to recognize.

Justice is in some way or other the most complete mastery over the entire human being. That is why Socrates thought it is wise to be patient under suffering is best, and that we should not give way to impatience, as there is no knowing whether such things are good or evil; and nothing is gained by impatience; also, because no human thing is of serious importance, and grief stands in the way of that which at the moment is most required.

We go about looking for justice far off in the distance, which it is in their hands therefore miss justice. They fail to recognize it.

Justice is the only virtue which remains in a society when the other virtues, temperance, courage and wisdom, have disappeared. In addition, justice is the ultimate cause and condition of these other virtues.

Courage and wisdom; one makes the society wiser and the other valiant, each of which resides in society part only. Justice is the one that extends and runs through all the notes of the scale, and produces back harmony in original form, and does the utmost to maintain intact. So make sure no disorder occur, feed on noble thoughts, set mind in order and not be dazzled by thoughtless praise that are piled on upon humankind.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Where amid all this is justice? Let us light a candle and search, come an help. Let us see where can we can discover this virtue justice.

It is said good is the creator of knowledge and truth but most excellent good exceeds the dignity and power of truth and knowledge is has a place higher order and virtue.

Reason renders things clear and intelligible takes an unclear outlook and turns it round to a clear one. So, think away from negativity. Reason has a unifying point, an inherent principle transparent element in which feels everyone strives to reach it, and therefore exerts force. Therefore, labor is self-repression of freedom.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

hi barbs, its b2br2d2c3po again, lol. this time no wine, :lol: , i was wondering what you think about the following true story that i read once in a psychology book.

there was a man named Phyneus Gage (i hope i'm remembering the spelling of his name correctly, if its wrong, i at least know its very close), well anyways there was a man named Phyneus Gage who was known to be one of the more or most "moral," ethical, good or decent man of the town (at least in the generally held common view of what is "moral" ethical, good, decent etc.).

then, an accident happened and some object pieced through part of his brain, i believe it was the frontal lobe (the area i think often referred to as the mind quadrant that holds most of human judgement, reasoning & "values" etc.)..... he did survive, but he was not the same man at all afterwards, becoming mean, "unethical" etc, loss of reason & judgement, etc... basically someone entirely else from who he was before.

this story always kind of bludgeoned me, because i always wanted to think there was a part of us that is beyond random physical consequence.... but alot of the facts prove otherwise.

considering this story, do you believe that who we are is only in the physical fabric of our mind?, and if this fabric is altered, everything we are is altered as well? thx
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

I have no idea.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

bus2bondi

A sophist calls good to be that in, which the wild beast takes pleasure in and evil to be that which the wild beast has an aversion. Their wisdom might be compare to a person who studies the irritability and needs of a wild beast and learns how to control the beast, and know the meaning of their shouts. Sophist are perfect at this, they call this knowledge, and even teach these dispositions of the wild beast. Sophists teach nothing but the opinion to their congregation are the foe of philosophy.

The true philosopher gifts are skill, memory, courage and magnificence. They use opinions only as hypotheses, that is to say, as steps and points of departure into a world above opinion. As disregarded as philosophy is today it still forces its way in and if helped emerges into light.
aloysius

Post by aloysius »

Barbara Brooks wrote:I have no idea.
I find it odd that someone who identifies herself as a philosopher of the mind and writes on the subject would have no thoughts on bus2bondi's question.

It is a deeply mysterious subject, one worthy of contemplation. Or do you, Lockensian -like, deem this particular subject beyond our capacity and therefore refuse to address it?

I, for one would be interested in hearing your opinion, and would enjoy discussing it.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

aloysius

I do deem this particular subject beyond my capacity and I therefore refuse to address it.

It is utterly impossible to have the satisfaction of finding all reality

Feelings prevail over reason like the struggle of division or like watching an archer pushing and pulling the bow at the same time, one hand pushes and the other pulls. Reason and feelings one bids and the other forbid, the forbidding and bidding one.

"Know Thy self" you will know truth. Know thy self is the element of pure knowing and because it is pure knowing it is absolute reason; there can be nothing so remote that we cannot reason. The faculty of reason is skilfully disposed is the best able to persuade others of the truth not mere opinion.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

hi aloysius, i find it deeply mysterious too. sometimes when i start thinking of it, i always find myself on the threshold of science, then ask myself whether i want to go further, then usually stop, thinking if i want to know the answers somehow, i'd have to dedicate my entire life to neuroscience in a very serious way. having too many other interests & also for other reasons, i couldn't do that, but still can't help but wonder about it. especially when you think about how every mysterious thing about who we are and our existence seems to be hidden within some human flesh inside our skull that we can't see. i also wonder why its not our arms, or legs, or whatever other part of us that defines us, only the brain. what makes that "flesh" different? anyhow, appreciate any thoughts you have about it, thx

hi bb, when you say "know thyself, you will know the truth" i understand where your coming from, but from a scientific perspective it almost means nothing sometimes. if something happened to me in the form of a brain injury one day, then who am i then? are we truly only memories, 'dust in the wind'? and not even memories really, if the memory quadrant of the brain disappears in those who may have remembered us? thx
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

bus2bondi,

Know thyself is ideal, free from weight like sunlight, removed from reality, spontaneous and determined. Mind is the absolute characteristic feature of knowing thyself because everything constitutes in mind everything, feeling, joy, and pain, seeing and hearing are all simply in communion with our mind.

Animals have voices which can be breathtaking in our utterance of self revealing outwardly that which is inward. We emit cries when in pleasure, joyfulness, pain, need, hunger, thirst, and even in heat horses neigh, insects hum, cats purr. Birds they launch forth in song flying freely in the air separate from the heaviness of the earth uttering feelings.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

barbara, humans do not know themselves yet at all, none of us have figured out why were even here yet. if we have no clue yet as to the purpose of our existence, & if someone who thinks they have an inkling still cannot explain it clearly & believably to someone who admits they don't, how could we know ourselves at all?
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

bus2bondi,

The mind is astonishing recovers what was previously known. Knowledge then is a process of recovery more rightly called our memory.

Then in order to see or hear anything knowledge of something like it or unlike must be known. Socrates believed we as animals acquired knowledge before we were born, or at least at the instant of birth. How astonishing! Knowledge is the process of recovering what we already know a mere recollection. Whenever we perceive something either by the help of sight or hearing, or any of the other senses, a concept of somehing like it or unlike it appears in mind.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

Knowledge has a very great persuasive way to bring about change. Those who remember have a natural talent for knowing they are generally quick at every kind of knowledge. Even those not so quick and have arithmetical training become much quicker than they would otherwise have been.

To the light, from the underground den to the sun is knowledge; it has the power of elevating mind to the highest principle to contemplate

The inner self is ideal principle that pervades the whole inner and outer like a crystal nucleus molecule in a kind of successive array; an inner individualization that constitutes a perfect mechanical unity and neutrality.

The inner self becomes material through and through is a silent activity sets forth without action, shapes, and links together all the different parts.
Self the essential inner self comes forward with its imperturbable truth. What innumerable causes that cripples and distract self coming forth. I mean those ordinary goods of life, looks, wealth, status, and associations, you understand that sort of thing?

Know thy self exists in every mind, even eyes are not able to turn from darkness to light alone, thyself turns the world from becoming to that of being.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

The simple unity of self is ego, but likewise knowledge, the object corresponds to the conception; or, if we put it in another way forms and calls to being self and other.

Both moments are unlike and opposed, here is the reflection self-unity has not come to light, only stands as two opposed forms. Being the ego opposed to other at the same time.

Self-consciousness appears self in a relation with other, but also at the same time here we find that this other has vanished, only the memory remains.

Memories are implicitly perception opposed to the empty inner region of understanding but as memories of abstractions or differences, which are, at the same time, of no account or are not differences at all, and are purely vanishing entities.

Then knowledge is the process of discovery rightly termed recollection. Those who know only recall, once it is experienced it is known. Arithmetic has a very great elevating effect that compels the mind to knowledge. That is why numbers may be truly called necessary for the use of knowledge in which philosophical natures should be trained and which must not be given up.
Barbara Brooks

Post by Barbara Brooks »

To all,

To have the art of enchanting the thoughts, feelings, ideas and perception of the mind must have knowledge and there are so many and of such a natures. You have to slave for this knowledge it can only be got this way there is no clear pattern drawn off into another direction absorbed in knowledge.

Philosophy noble and gracious friend of knowledge always strive after write what is acceptable to God and always to act acceptably to God; there is an old saying that a person of sense should not try to please anyone but good and noble God. If the way is long and circuitous, wonder not at this for where the closing stages is great may take a longer path.