Tell me. Tell me the truth.

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonvemotion

Tell me. Tell me the truth.

Post by reasonvemotion »

April: I don't need everything we have here, I don't care where we live. I mean, who made these rules anyway? The only reason we moved out here was because I got pregnant. Then we had another to prove the first one wasn't a mistake, I mean, how long does it go on? Frank, do you actually want another child? Well do you? Come on.

Tell me. Tell me the truth, Frank. Remember that? We used to live by it. And you know what's so good about the truth? Everyone knows what it is no matter how long they've lived without it. No one forgets the truth, Frank, they just get better at lying. So tell me. Do you really want another child?

Revolutionary Road
from the novel by Richard Yates

Yet often the surest way to convey misinformation is to tell the strict truth.

So, does it really matter either way, truth or lie.
Percarus

Re: Tell me. Tell me the truth.

Post by Percarus »

Yeah, I think it matters. By remaining truthful we maintain a clear conscience ultimately - thus ensuring one's dignity intact. :P
Notvacka

Post by Notvacka »

Very interesting topic.

"And you know what's so good about the truth? Everyone knows what it is no matter how long they've lived without it."

But what is the truth? How do you recognize it for what it is?

"Do you really want another child?"

This is the kind of question most people could probably answer truthfully with both yes and no. Weighing pros and cons, hopes and fears, you might know what you truly want, when it comes down to it. Or you might not.

Makes me think of a scene from a film I watched recently. Don't remember much of the film, but this piece of dialogue stuck with me:

"I don't know if he really cares about me, or if he just pretends."
"If he pretends, it means that he cares."
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Well to my eye it depends upon what is the truth of the matter here. Perhaps a hint towards what he does want?

If he doesn't want one. Say no. If he wants one. Say yes. If he doesn't want one initially but is committed to want one if it is on the arrival, say so.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Makes me think of a scene from a film I watched recently. Don't remember much of the film, but this piece of dialogue stuck with me:

"I don't know if he really cares about me, or if he just pretends."
"If he pretends, it means that he cares."
In your example "care" has two meanings. One for him and one for her.

This piece of dialogue has remained with me and is a good example to show sometimes truth is not always the best option.

From the film Pride and Prejudice, conversation with Elizabeth and Darcy.

"Honesty is a greatly overrated virtue. Silence, in this case, would have been more agreeable."

"But I am not ashamed of my scruples about your family. They were natural."

"And should have been kept to yourself!
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

reasonvemotion wrote:April: I don't need everything we have here, I don't care where we live. I mean, who made these rules anyway? The only reason we moved out here was because I got pregnant. Then we had another to prove the first one wasn't a mistake, I mean, how long does it go on? Frank, do you actually want another child? Well do you? Come on.

Tell me. Tell me the truth, Frank. Remember that? We used to live by it. And you know what's so good about the truth? Everyone knows what it is no matter how long they've lived without it. No one forgets the truth, Frank, they just get better at lying. So tell me. Do you really want another child?

Revolutionary Road
from the novel by Richard Yates

Yet often the surest way to convey misinformation is to tell the strict truth.

So, does it really matter either way, truth or lie.
I think that often we ask the wrong questions. I think the most honest question is "Would a child want us, as it's parents; are we good/prepared enough, to parent a child." If you're both asking these questions then obviously you truthfully want one. Unless of course you only want to appease the other, a very bad reason!

Of course, the truth, as one sees it, is of utmost importance, especially if it shall impact another life.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

truth is double plus good.

-Imp