I'm a philosophy virgin

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

duszek

Re: I'm a philosophy virgin

Post by duszek »

Sometimes language is a better means of communication and sometimes the body language is.

If I want to explain how to go to Chichester from Winchester I do not use body language but words.
If I want to express that I like someone I do not say anything at all. My body language expresses it all on its own.
Either the likee feels liked by the liker or he does not. Words can hardly influence it.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.......................................................................................................THAT is an awesome post!

Insightful. Short & to the point.

I learned something.

Thank you.

Well done. Really well done.

duszek

Post by duszek »

Thank you, Bill. :)

Where do you get your pictures from ? From your own personal collection ? Are you a filmmaker and photographer ?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Well I'm appreciative that you have found some value in the images & GIFs I use.

GIFs are exploding within the internet right now.

There are many sites that provide them.

I have not made any GIFs but from what I understand they are quite easy to make.

I save GIFs & images that I like in my bookmarks so that they are easy to find and use here at the forums.

Good luck to you.

Please join me in infusing this dynamic medium into our posts here at the Philosophy Now Forums.

Thanks again.

I look forward to seeing your posts!

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Not only do I agree with you, I believe I made this same argument quite some time ago. And it's an easy argument to make.
Its not an argument? Its a fact. If you did then I'd be interested, care to find it and post the link as I'd like to hear your views on this.
Words are symbols.
Care to say of what?
Letters are images.
Of what?
Which actually would lead me to expect you to support my use of GIFs upon this site. Words, letters, images, videos are all the same vehicle.
No they're not, that is my point. They may all be used for the same purpose, communication of thought, but they are not the same vehicles.
I am amazed at the shear power of symbols in my life and at this forum.
I think you mean "sheer"? You appear amazed at most things.
I feel temporally exalted right now for I kind-of opened the door for GIFs here and my posts now are heads & tails above fellow members who are restricted to using only the written word.
:lol: Mind that Id now. Do you think you're the one to judge such a thing? But since you do, care to say what criteria you are using for such an assertion?

Its your limitations that let you think the written word is restrictive.
Some members don't even use the beauty of the tremendous pallet of post options to frame their posts and give them added impact.
An impact that lives purely in your head.
On a personal note, my life is reflecting the powerful change that is reflected here. We can our ties to our left-brain ego. It's hard work but there are techniques that one can discover and use.
I asked you about this elsewhere but as usual you did not answer. There was no 'ego' in your 'left-brain' pictures? And care to say what you think this 'ego' is?

I'll bite, how is your life reflecting this 'powerful change' that you think is reflected here?
I feel blessed.
Awww! How sweet.
I look forward to watching you grow.
How patronizing of you.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:Sometimes language is a better means of communication and sometimes the body language is.

If I want to explain how to go to Chichester from Winchester I do not use body language but words.
If I want to express that I like someone I do not say anything at all. My body language expresses it all on its own.
Either the likee feels liked by the liker or he does not. Words can hardly influence it.
When you give directions you never restrict yourself to words, if you are in the presence of the person you are talking to.
Were you to try you would look weird. People can't help but point.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

PLONK!
uwot

Post by uwot »

Bill
I don't think you are aware of how you portray yourself. Some of your posts display a childish awe of technology, some are clumsily self-therapeutic, many contain petulance towards those who challenge you; the range of emotions suggest bipolarism. None of which make you anything worse than a bit of a pest. However, you also avow admiration for a racist and in another thread you appear to claim that children being urged to show their 'boobs' is morally neutral; no it isn't. When asked a direct question with regards to your beliefs, you fail to answer. One interpretation is that you are ashamed to admit that you are a racist paedophile, another is provided by Chaz Wyman, who, having been around this forum longer, probably knows you better:
chaz wyman wrote:
Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Words are symbols.

Letters are images.

And Bill is not very bright.
You, of course, may wish to offer another alternative.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

No...no, You got me pretty much spot-on.

Especially for someone who has the guts and the honesty to hide behind a phoney moniker & cast stones.

Real fucking brave.

Your honesty & philosophical integrity reflect your posts thus far.

duszek

Post by duszek »

chaz wyman wrote:
duszek wrote:Sometimes language is a better means of communication and sometimes the body language is.

When you give directions you never restrict yourself to words, if you are in the presence of the person you are talking to.
Were you to try you would look weird. People can't help but point.
You haven´t been to England in a long time and I was only briefly in this area but I am sure that you cannot point from Chichester to Winchester because the distance is too big. So someone asking for directions in a local inn would probably be advised by mere words to first go to Southhampton, then follow a route to Salisbury (because of low bridges, too low for a high car) and so on.

But in general you are right. I also like to point to the main station or something.
And I also like to tell men drivers that they should go to east, west, south or north. I like reading maps.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Bill

I would be afraid of being chased by owners of pictures who would like get me fined for violating copyright laws.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

.................................................................................................

Where have you posted?

What have you posted?

Were the images you used copyrighted?

How much money did you derive from the images?

Are you surrounded in fear of other things coming to get you as well?

Just so you know...there is a Philosophical Counseling category here at the Philosophy Now Forums.

Perhaps you would be better served to place a post such as this there.

Best of luck to you - and, by the way, I'm sure you can obtain help either here or in the real world.

duszek

Post by duszek »

I am the most fearful being in the whole history of mankind. I specialize in making mountains out of molehills.

I also specialize in self-help. I work on my problems alone.

But I like to tell my worries to someone I know and it helps if this person makes fun of me. Then I become calmer.
I used this line of remedy on the phone yesterday night.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

................................................Image

..........................................................................THAT. WAS. AWESOME!

Well done! VERY well done...

I am officially a fan of yours!

duszek

Post by duszek »

Just to give you an example:

Yesterday a client (good-looking, from the culture "oriental") made me a compliment that I had a calming and balancing effect on people. I immediately started to worry that he tried to acquire me for ... a sham marriage for some uncle from his native country ? for the services of a drug mafia ?

So out of pure precaution I first pretended to overhear it.
So he repeated the compliment.
I felt obliged to thank him but I made an effort to show that I did so only as a dutiful employee, hoping to deter him by my lack of passion and enthousiasm.

And so on.

And there were other occasions too.
A day full of potential dangers.

Honestly, Bill.
I do not mind admirers on an anonymous forum.
But what does really put you off in women ? (I assume that you are straight.)

If it were a client from my own culture then I would interpret the body language and not be worried so easily.
I often exchange simple human warmth with decent people. To make the day better, for a second or two.

Now you are no longer a fan of mine ??? :lol:
We are less than shadows here, we do not really know each other.
We take in an impression and build a whole vision of a person upon it, but this vision is an illusion, crashed easily by the next impression.
Last edited by duszek on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.