I'm a philosophy virgin

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: I'm a philosophy virgin

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:Love philosophy. Experience philosophy.

Eat and drink and breathe philosophy.
But just make sure you don't actually read any as that'd mean you'd have to think about what you're saying and believe.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...............................................................................................

.................................................................It's not about the amount of books you read...

I did not imply that a budding philosopher should not read. Contraire.

It's just that reading is not the end-all of the total experience of philosophy.

I think you should be able to understand me...

.......................................................................................Image

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:I did not imply that a budding philosopher should not read. Contraire.
Yes you have. You've repeatedly implied it all over this forum. Even worse you've implied one should only read what suits them. As I've pointed-out, this is not philosophical. I'm not saying one should agree with what one reads, just one should know about the alternatives so that one can ground ones own beliefs.
It's just that reading is not the end-all of the total experience of philosophy.
Never said it was, just that knowing whats been said sorts out a lot of wasted time saying things that have already been said and discussed better.
I think you should be able to understand me...
I kind of do and whilst I admire what I think is your sincerity I disagree with much of what you understand with respect to philosophy. Also, given you say you don't understand yourself I think this a problematic proposition.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...........................................Take it easy...

....................................................................................................
You're wound a little too tight tonight.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Your solution to things I suspect, not mine.

No replies as usual from you. So I'll assume that what I said was true.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

........................................................................Image

I think you're getting a little off topic here but if the original poster and other guests in this room will accommodate us I am happy to provide you some guidance and answer any questions you have.

uwot

Post by uwot »

Bill, I'm curious; what is it about other people's images that speak louder than your words?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

It's about images in general.

By ingraining other medium into this forum we expand our breath of understanding and expression.

Inviting the right brain into our posts is something that I will enjoy watching you embrace.

Cheers.

I look forward to seeing you use other people's images and your words.

All the best.

.........................................................................................

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:... I am happy to provide you some guidance and answer any questions you have.
That'll be the day.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:It's about images in general.

By ingraining other medium into this forum we expand our breath of understanding and expression.

Inviting the right brain into our posts is something that I will enjoy watching you embrace.
Does it ever dawn on you that written words ARE images or pictures?

That the reason why we graduate from pop-up books as infants is that written words can create images? Even better, they can create the full range of representations that we use as thought.

That the reason why we don't, in the main, use pictures to communicate is that written words ARE the most refined, effective and flexible set of pictures that we've developed to communicate our thoughts with?

(I know, I know, this all comes from voice but I'm addressing specifically the written word and reading, given the medium this forum is in.)
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Not only do I agree with you, I believe I made this same argument quite some time ago. And it's an easy argument to make.

Words are symbols.

Letters are images.

Which actually would lead me to expect you to support my use of GIFs upon this site. Words, letters, images, videos are all the same vehicle.

I am amazed at the shear power of symbols in my life and at this forum.

I feel temporally exalted right now for I kind-of opened the door for GIFs here and my posts now are heads & tails above fellow members who are restricted to using only the written word.

Some members don't even use the beauty of the tremendous pallet of post options to frame their posts and give them added impact.

On a personal note, my life is reflecting the powerful change that is reflected here. We can our ties to our left-brain ego. It's hard work but there are techniques that one can discover and use.

I feel blessed.

All the good to you.

I look forward to watching you grow.

uwot

Post by uwot »

Bill Wiltrack wrote: It's about images in general.

It's a good idea in principal, but in your exuberance you are using them indiscriminately. For example, you have made the same point several times recently, in essence, 'Technology is amazing'. I'm sure everyone agrees, let's move on. Quoting is fair enough, but adding an image just causes a distraction in most cases, irritation in others. You also evidently have an arsenal of abusive images ready for people who don't share your belief that you are blessed. I shan't be embracing your method, but if I happen upon an image that says something I wish to say better than the words at my disposal I shall use it.
What bothers me is that I look at this site on a Blackberry when I am traveling. Having every thread bogged down by your handiwork makes it slow and tedious. For that reason I will stick you on my foe list, unless of course you'd like a discussion about why you think Satyr is "awesome".
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

................................................................................

Words are symbols.

Letters are images.

If you put a fellow member on ignore or foe, that shows a weakness in you, not that member.

Why should I do or discuss anything with you?

I have over 2,000 posts here at the philosophy now forums and perhaps another 1,000 posts that have been made upon other forums.

I've never asked anyone to do what you just requested of me.

You undermined your own argument right off the rib
so you may want to re-think that position first.

We have been given a number of different features & functions to help us express our ideas and feelings.

I cannot be dissuaded by you choosing not to avail yourself to that pallet of opportunities.

I don't know where the original poster is but we are WAY OFF TOPIC.

All the best.

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Words are symbols.

Letters are images.

And Bill is not very bright.
duszek

Post by duszek »

English conversation about the weather is an example of using language as a pretext for communicating purely through body language.

Body language is visual and acustic (and sometimes also palpable).
So body language is even more complex than pictures posted, is it not ?