Arguments for the prohibition of drugs

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Grockel

Arguments for the prohibition of drugs

Post by Grockel »

Can anyone provide me with good arguments supporting the prohibition of drugs? Here are my arguments against the prohibition:

1. Prohibiting drugs increases violence. Murder rates dropped significantly when the USA ended it's prohibition of alcohol in the 1930's.

2. The prohibition of drugs is counter productive, it results in the funding of organized crime, terrorists and corrupt politicians.

3. The prohibition of drugs is hypocrisy, alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than most drugs yet they are legal. The danger posed by drugs has been grossly exaggerated.

4. Many drug users are otherwise law abiding people, criminalizing them is unfair and a waste of police resources.

5. The war on drugs shows no sign of ending and appears to be unwinnable.
chaz wyman

Re: Arguments for the prohibition of drugs

Post by chaz wyman »

Grockel wrote:Can anyone provide me with good arguments supporting the prohibition of drugs? Here are my arguments against the prohibition:

1. Prohibiting drugs increases violence. Murder rates dropped significantly when the USA ended it's prohibition of alcohol in the 1930's.

2. The prohibition of drugs is counter productive, it results in the funding of organized crime, terrorists and corrupt politicians.

3. The prohibition of drugs is hypocrisy, alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than most drugs yet they are legal. The danger posed by drugs has been grossly exaggerated.

4. Many drug users are otherwise law abiding people, criminalizing them is unfair and a waste of police resources.

5. The war on drugs shows no sign of ending and appears to be unwinnable.
Whilst I cannot think of any reasons why lifting prohibition would not be for the general good, it is hard to reconcile the consequences of a complete liberalisation of Heroin, Crystal Meth, and Crack Cocaine. But there are a range of other more terrible drugs out there, and more being designed each year.
Whilst it is true that the combined effects of alcohol and tobacco are currently more harmful than drugs, were they legalised the balance of harm would shift to opiates and crystals.
When the British flooded China with cheap heroine it achieved its intention of bringing down the Chinese economy by turning millions into junkies. Do you want China to have the opportunity to pay us back?
How would such a world look?
Drug stores really become drug stores. You'd be able to buy anything from anyone? No regulation?
Any back street chemist can sell any shit he wants?
How do you see it pan out?
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Well, in case you haven't figured it out yet, Chaz is one of the people who pays lip service to freedom, but doesn't actually believe in it.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

chaz wyman wrote:... When the British flooded China with cheap heroine it achieved its intention of bringing down the Chinese economy by turning millions into junkies. ...
I thought the intention was to regain the silver bullion that the Chinese would only accept for our tea habit which was damaging our economy?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Arising_uk wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:... When the British flooded China with cheap heroine it achieved its intention of bringing down the Chinese economy by turning millions into junkies. ...
I thought the intention was to regain the silver bullion that the Chinese would only accept for our tea habit which was damaging our economy?
Turning the Chinese into junkies was the means.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Next to oil, coffee is the world's second largest commodity.

I'm addicted to it but I feel coffee adds to my experience of being a productive, meaningful citizen.

........................................................................Image

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Sitting here in my fifteen year old truck parked on what the police call heroin alley. It’s a dark, damp morning.

I’m a dinosaur. I am old enough to remember three social wars in my country; the war on poverty, the war on crime, and the war on drugs. I need only step out of my vehicle and begin to walk in order to find out how these wars turned out.

Based upon the outcome of these social wars I got the feeling I know how our latest war, the war on terror is going to turn out.

Looking out over Martin Luther King Boulevard before I exit and walk to the last job in Cleveland, I remember a quote from the late, great Dr. Martin Luther King Junior, Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see. Life-like figures emerging from the blackness, make their transactions, and then disappear back into the beautiful, sardonic park called Rockefeller.

The emerging blackness in our veins makes a transaction in our brain then disappears into the beautiful, sardonic park called high.

As I fall victim to the actors in this crossroads of wars I found myself in, I wonder, am I also the creator?

As we fall victim to the actors in the crossroads of wars we find ourselves in, I wonder, are we also the creator?

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

At least in the USA, the prohibition of drugs has led to an enormous and expensive social problem. A prohibition of guns would result in an even more enormous and expensive problem.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

bobevenson wrote:At least in the USA, the prohibition of drugs has led to an enormous and expensive social problem. A prohibition of guns would result in an even more enormous and expensive problem.
HA, yeah, there would be a rise in population.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

chaz wyman wrote:
bobevenson wrote:At least in the USA, the prohibition of drugs has led to an enormous and expensive social problem. A prohibition of guns would result in an even more enormous and expensive problem.
HA, yeah, there would be a rise in population.
Sorry, laws against drugs and guns have proven to be totally counterproductive, injurious to innocent people, and expensive beyond belief.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:Sorry, laws against drugs and guns have proven to be totally counterproductive, injurious to innocent people, and expensive beyond belief.
I agree with the drugs argument, tax them I think and take the associated criminality out of the system.

Guns appears different, approx 29,000 dead by guns in the US, approx 155 in the UK, so fairly injurious.

With respect to the expense, I agree that trying to enforce gun laws in the US would be difficult given their cultural role in the national psyche, why not just tax bullets? Make them $50 a pop and I doubt they'd be used so easily.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:
bobevenson wrote:Sorry, laws against drugs and guns have proven to be totally counterproductive, injurious to innocent people, and expensive beyond belief.
I agree with the drugs argument, tax them I think and take the associated criminality out of the system.

Guns appears different, approx 29,000 dead by guns in the US, approx 155 in the UK, so fairly injurious.

With respect to the expense, I agree that trying to enforce gun laws in the US would be difficult given their cultural role in the national psyche, why not just tax bullets? Make them $50 a pop and I doubt they'd be used so easily.
a) The only proper form of taxation is a single tax on property, property being defined as anything with intrinsic market value. Discriminatory taxation is improper.

b) I guarantee you that if bullets were taxed $50 each, trafficking of bullets would challenge the trafficking of drugs and have a lot more customers.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

bobevenson wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:

a) The only proper form of taxation is a single tax on property, property being defined as anything with intrinsic market value. Discriminatory taxation is improper.

b) I guarantee you that if bullets were taxed $50 each, trafficking of bullets would challenge the trafficking of drugs and have a lot more customers.

If I own a bullet then that bullet is property.
Bullet trafficking. So what? The only reasonable use of a firearm is for defence. You could be allowed to have, say, four bullets tax free.
Anyone caught owning or carrying more, could be imprisoned. I think it is a great idea.
Right now any criminal can freely walk into a shop, someone else's house, or a even a bank, carrying a firearm without charge.
That is stupid.
There is lots that could be done to reduce gun based crime, but the morons come out of the woodwork and masturbate over the 2nd Amendment.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

chaz wyman wrote:If I own a bullet then that bullet is property. Bullet trafficking. So what? The only reasonable use of a firearm is for defence. You could be allowed to have, say, four bullets tax free. Anyone caught owning or carrying more, could be imprisoned. I think it is a great idea. Right now any criminal can freely walk into a shop, someone else's house, or a even a bank, carrying a firearm without charge. That is stupid. There is lots that could be done to reduce gun based crime, but the morons come out of the woodwork and masturbate over the 2nd Amendment.
a) A bullet is property, but it is improper to discriminate against certain types of property. A bottle of milk should be taxed the same as a bottle of whiskey, at its market value.

b) Guns are used for hunting, target practice or just because some people like to shoot guns and don't need any other reason. In the U.S., there is absolutely no way to control guns or bullets. Criminals will always be able to get them regardless of how inconvenient the government makes it for law-abiding citizens.

c) Since you lack understanding of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, I won't even comment on that.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Somebody mention the 2nd Amendment?