I'm a philosophy virgin

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

richardtod

I'm a philosophy virgin

Post by richardtod »

Many years ago (about 40 years actually) I read "Thinking to Some Purpose" by Prof Susan Stebbings. I already had an interest in politics and her book showed me how to question what I read or heard. I became disillusioned by the nonsense, lies and obvious twisted logic used by the media and many politicians in support of their arguments. The lack of any real attempt to teach children how to question and challenge became another source of frustration when I was a school governor.

My eyes were opened to philosophy when I read "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder about 12 years ago. Since then I found it hard enough just to earn a living that studying Philosophy was out of the question.

Today I have just turned 63 and have decided I want, and have the time, to study philosophy. I cannot afford a course in the subject but I have always been self taught and see no reason why I cannot do so with philosophy. After all, where did Socrates study? (No I am not comparing myself to Socrates)

I have bought Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy", Ordered the magazine "Philosophy Now" and joined this forum. I am looking forward to the new challenges this incredible field of study offers and hope to make many friends during my journey.
The Voice of Time

Re: I'm a philosophy virgin

Post by The Voice of Time »

Aaaah, Jostein Gaarder. In Norway there that book was filmatized, and when I was a little child (I'm 20 years old now) I watched it and I'm certain that from that point I was in-love with philosophy and we have been married ever since :)

Welcome to the forum. Just don't expect a warm welcome, this is carnage! Philosophers can be really nasty just as you know! And not a few of them are rather dreamy ;)
duszek

Post by duszek »

Welcome, Richard.

I pick philosophical thoughts like flowers in a garden. "Ecce Homo" is my latest, I listened to it on CDs from a local library.

Now I am wondering: could there be philosophy in Mozart´s music ?
Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt´s philosophical thoughts in his book "My life with Mozart": 1. Mozart´s music makes one feel love and gratitude, 2. in order to be happy one needs to accept the suffering.

Best wishes from

little ghost
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forum! I like your initial post and hope there is more where that came from...see ya 'round.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Welcome richardtod,
richardtod wrote:...

I have bought Bertrand Russell's "History of Western Philosophy", Ordered the magazine "Philosophy Now" and joined this forum. I am looking forward to the new challenges this incredible field of study offers and hope to make many friends during my journey.
Nice start. Try John Hospers, "Introduction to Philosophical Analysis" as a companion, the 2nd edition if you can find one secondhand.
rantal

Post by rantal »

I cannot recomend to strongly Aristotle as a starting place

all the best, rantal
richardtod

Post by richardtod »

All, thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to partaking in the debates.
Welcome to the forum. Just don't expect a warm welcome, this is carnage! Philosophers can be really nasty just as you know! And not a few of them are rather dreamy
Not too worried about the carnage. I come from the Glasgow school of debate where turning the other cheek meant you were turning to fart in the enemies direction and forgiveness meant you did not eat the fallen. :twisted: :lol:
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Welcome to the Philosophy Now Forums...

We uh, we want to get closer to you...

..............................................................................................

Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Hello Richard, I think I'd start with Nietzsche rather than philosophy. Don't let the tacit idea which gets around that Western Philosophy is the highest incarnation of philosophy or a sizable portion of it infect you. Ask trees what they think.

There are some good conversations and people are generally respectfully of each other, and yes, friendships form - though I would avoid the archival area of around this time 3 years ago and about 35.5 months either side of that if you are in any way squeamish.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Huh?

Do tell me more as maths is not my strong point.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

It basically means the last two weeks have been almost sophisticated around here.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

eh? I missed that :mrgreen:

You obviously have particular posts in mind, but we will go no further and bask in our sophistication.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bernard wrote:Hello Richard, I think I'd start with Nietzsche rather than philosophy. Don't let the tacit idea which gets around that Western Philosophy is the highest incarnation of philosophy or a sizable portion of it infect you. Ask trees what they think. ...
:shock: Nietzsche was a philosopher and is firmly in the canon of Western Philosophy, albeit what used to be called Continental Philosophy.

Although a great read I'd not start with Nietzsche as without the context of who he was replying to he can be difficult to understand.

Philosophy is pretty much a punctuated 2500 year-old conversation so its worth starting at the beginning to get the basics.

Overviews like Russells are also useful but theres nothing like reading the actual philosophers. On that point I'd also read Russells "The Problems of Philosophy" - nice, short book.
rantal

Post by rantal »

Arising_uk wrote:
Bernard wrote:Hello Richard, I think I'd start with Nietzsche rather than philosophy. Don't let the tacit idea which gets around that Western Philosophy is the highest incarnation of philosophy or a sizable portion of it infect you. Ask trees what they think. ...
:shock: Nietzsche was a philosopher and is firmly in the canon of Western Philosophy, albeit what used to be called Continental Philosophy.

Although a great read I'd not start with Nietzsche as without the context of who he was replying to he can be difficult to understand.

Philosophy is pretty much a punctuated 2500 year-old conversation so its worth starting at the beginning to get the basics.

Overviews like Russells are also useful but theres nothing like reading the actual philosophers. On that point I'd also read Russells "The Problems of Philosophy" - nice, short book.

Nietzsche stands between the English and the continental school, in my opinion and foreshadows if not originates the overthrown of systematic philosophy that became the English school

all the best, rantal
richardtod

Post by richardtod »

rantal wrote:
Arising_uk wrote:

Nietzsche stands between the English and the continental school, in my opinion and foreshadows if not originates the overthrown of systematic philosophy that became the English school

all the best, rantal
Perhaps I should start with Neitzsche before I am "contaminated"by the rest then read Russell to find out what Neitzche is arguing about. Thanks for your support everyone. I have a headache already. :lol: