Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eric_Allione

Post by Eric_Allione »

Hello,

I am coming from worldthought forums and wanted to join other philosophy communities. This is a very professional looking site and I'm excited about digging into some of the topics here.

One thing I was wondering about, if anyone knows, is how many posts you need before you can send a PM. I was amused by what I found in the FAQ on this:

I cannot send private messages!
There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the board administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or the board administrator has prevented you from sending messages.Contact a board administrator for more information.

Only a philosopher would say to send a message if you are having problems with messages :wink:

In my philosophy department back when I was in college, we used the term 'abstract random' to describe and justify the idiosyncratic behavior of philosophers, so seeing something like that makes me feel at home here.
RickLewis

Re: new member

Post by RickLewis »

Welcome to the forum, Eric!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Eric_Allione wrote:Hello,

I am coming from worldthought forums and wanted to join other philosophy communities. This is a very professional looking site and I'm excited about digging into some of the topics here.

One thing I was wondering about, if anyone knows, is how many posts you need before you can send a PM. I was amused by what I found in the FAQ on this:

I cannot send private messages!
There are three reasons for this; you are not registered and/or not logged on, the board administrator has disabled private messaging for the entire board, or the board administrator has prevented you from sending messages.Contact a board administrator for more information.

Only a philosopher would say to send a message if you are having problems with messages :wink:

In my philosophy department back when I was in college, we used the term 'abstract random' to describe and justify the idiosyncratic behavior of philosophers, so seeing something like that makes me feel at home here.
Welcome to the Forum.
This is very loosely moderated. You have to have a pretty thick-skin to survive here. So try not to take it too personally when some people use abusive and insulting words against you. Remember that they don't actually know you, and so can't know what and to whom they are talking about.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Actually there are some excellent people here, and some rather good discussions.

We have always moderated with a fairly light touch here, because we believe in treating forum members like grownups. Sadly the freedom from heavy moderation seems to sometimes attract people who either aren't grownups or are looking for a slag-fest. However we are currently knocking some heads together and I expect that a certain civilized decorum will soon be the norm once again.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

talk about 'idiosyncratic behavior of philosophers' :lol: i just spent the last 3 to 4 hours thinking about parrallel resonant electircal LC circuits and similar and how they relate to our health system. lol. i found myself unknowingly 2-3 times sitting in the exact postions that Tesla sat in. i found great joy in this. i don't know why:) even if it means absolutely nothing! why. i do not know. :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

bus2bondi wrote:talk about 'idiosyncratic behavior of philosophers' :lol: i just spent the last 3 to 4 hours thinking about parrallel resonant electircal LC circuits and similar and how they relate to our health system. lol. i found myself unknowingly 2-3 times sitting in the exact postions that Tesla sat in. i found great joy in this. i don't know why:) even if it means absolutely nothing! why. i do not know. :lol:
Sounds like something Woody Allen would say. :lol:
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

:)
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

RickLewis wrote:Actually there are some excellent people here, and some rather good discussions.

We have always moderated with a fairly light touch here, because we believe in treating forum members like grownups. Sadly the freedom from heavy moderation seems to sometimes attract people who either aren't grownups or are looking for a slag-fest. However we are currently knocking some heads together and I expect that a certain civilized decorum will soon be the norm once again.
Glad to hear this.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
bus2bondi wrote:talk about 'idiosyncratic behavior of philosophers' :lol: i just spent the last 3 to 4 hours thinking about parrallel resonant electircal LC circuits and similar and how they relate to our health system. lol. i found myself unknowingly 2-3 times sitting in the exact postions that Tesla sat in. i found great joy in this. i don't know why:) even if it means absolutely nothing! why. i do not know. :lol:
Sounds like something Woody Allen would say. :lol:
:lol:
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

hello again, i just wanted to say that i like this forum because its a place where you can work out ideas and thoughts without your children being harmed or harrassed. you are sort of free here from fundamentalism and nationalism. also, say a member insults you here incessantly, they are not going to stalk and hurt your family. it's possible. yes. it is. but, overall it seems moreso discussion of issues without most forms of violence. if someone here had a long rant about the car i drive, whether i liked it or not, i would never, ever go after that persons family outside the forum. even if the person called me a 'dumb fuckin american redneck' because i like trucks. i do like trucks actually. chevy's in particular. it's been one of my dreams to own an old chevy. i still dream of it. however, if someone here freaked on me about it, or offered some other point of view about what they think about trucks, or chevy's, i'd never go after their family.

enjoy philosopy, and the forum, if you can.:)
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

i want to let you know however, there's alot of 'so and so has an opinion' and then another member will reply with something to the effect of 'you didn't make your bed yesterday' as a response, i think that's fine here, but outside the forum can you imagine a world like that? every person who tried to do what is done here on the philosophy forum, every single person on this earth who had an opinion, or a question, even for 5 minutes, and then changed their minds later, perhaps, or perhaps not, would be subject to harrasment such as 'you didn't make your bed yesterday bitch'. 'we don't literally stone and murder people in public anymore, we're much more advanced than Egypt now, we have other ways'
Last edited by bus2bondi on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Only a philosopher would say to send a message if you are having problems with messages

Should you stay or should you go? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
hiiamme

Post by hiiamme »

For being "lightly moderated" why do all my posts have to be pre-approved lol?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

hiiamme wrote:For being "lightly moderated" why do all my posts have to be pre-approved lol?
It's just temporary, to stop the spammers.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

chaz wyman wrote:
hiiamme wrote:For being "lightly moderated" why do all my posts have to be pre-approved lol?
It's just temporary, to stop the spammers.
i think it's only the first post or something