Philosophy of Double Standards

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Philosophy of Double Standards

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I was watching 'The Big Bang Theory' last night and found myself increasingly irritated by one recurring storyline. It involves Leonard and his relationship with Raj's sister. Raj is Indian. When Leonard wanted to meed his girlfriend's parents her response was, 'Oh no, you can't do that because you are white'. We are treated to elaborately farcical scenes where the Indian parents are communicating via Skype and Leonard is trying to avoid being seen or 'outed' as the boyfriend. It takes quite a lot to offend me, but this is wrong on several levels. It's wrong because it assumes that Indians are racist arseholes but that it's ok because they are just Indians and it doesn't count. It's wrong because the idea that anyone could think white people are inferior to brown ones is so preposterous that it's hilarious, right? Wrong! This is inverted racism at its patronising worst. I look forward to the day when the writers permanently slam down the lap-top lid on the racist arsehole parents and this particular story-line. If you don't agree then just reverse the roles.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johngalthasspoken

Re: Philosophy of Double Standards

Post by johngalthasspoken »

why do you watch that stupid show in the first place?
vegetariantaxidermy

johngalthasspoken wrote:why do you watch that stupid show in the first place?
Because it's hilarious, but that's not the point of the thread. I'm sure there are many more examples of what I'm talking about.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I'd have thought the whole point was to point out the issue of racism in a funny way?
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote:I'd have thought the whole point was to point out the issue of racism in a funny way?
I guess, because it's such a funny topic. Hilarious in fact. Perhaps I'm missing something. Actually my point was double standards and inverted racism.
vegetariantaxidermy

Speaking of double standards I'm fucking sick of having my comments wiped. I never write anything hateful, but I have mentioned the unmentionable word 'penis' a couple of times, oh, and 'cretin'. Quick, someone get the lethal injection. :evil:
johngalthasspoken

Post by johngalthasspoken »

Rick Lewis , Veggy made a serious accusation about you having a small penis. is there any truth to this ?
vegetariantaxidermy

johngalthasspoken wrote:Rick Lewis , Veggy made a serious accusation about you having a small penis. is there any truth to this ?
He's not the only moderator is he? Whoever it is doesn't mind misogyny, racism, and hate-filled bigotry, but just mention penises and god help you.
Atthet

Post by Atthet »

:lol: