Teen Pregnancy

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Kayla

Re: Teen Pregnancy

Post by Kayla »

reasonvemotion wrote:
I rest my case.
i am far from convinced of the existence of enormous wisdom supposedly gained just by hanging around for a few extra trips around the sun

plenty of adults have no money management skills or self control or even basic common sense

plenty are total douchebags

plenty cannot learn from experience - i mean how many adults mistakenly believe that corporal punishment is a good idea - lots - despite no evidence at all to support their view

plenty have no insight into their own behaviour

going back to corporal punishment

plenty of adults are convinced they never apply it when they are angry

in actual fact 100% of instance of corporal punishment are a knee-jerk angry response

here is the interesting thing - and funny too - i had adults who told me that one of the few things they learned in their life is that the whole supposed wisdom gained with age is a load of horseshit

heck there are adults here who say that if their daughter would get pregnant they would kick her out of the house - there are plenty of adults who have no clue and are total douchebags
hard core drugs
the harm of hard core drugs is overstated

dont forget that most information about hard core drugs comes to us from the same people who said that iraq has chemicals weapons
If children's parents are interested in them and keep tabs on their friends and where they go, most will pass through teenage years, relatively unscathed. They may whine and complain about a parent's "interference" but it is necessary to make sure they are safe. Especially females.
for a while i was hanging out with a girl who was 'trouble'

to my surprise my parents always made her feel welcome at our house

only recently did i figure out why - if she was at our house they knew where both of us were and what we were doing - they even ignored minor pilfering of the liquor cabinet as long as it was not taken out of the house
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

johngalthasspoken wrote:trying to be clever ei? nitwits , i often see kids around my neighborhood smoking pot..
so you are hoping to see them having sex, you have not yet seen that

got it
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:
1) A 15 yo girl is not in a position to have a child.
2) She has not reached legal majority.
In that case we can cancel out any emotions.

I have not trivalised intentionally. I think I have responded realistically.

I can think of a very good example of "giving up". When I was living overseas in London, a girl I knew became pregnant. The father disappeared and then the girl met another man, who offered her a "good life" on the proviso she gave up the other man's child. She went through the pregnancy, had the child and gave it up. It was horrific to witness the whole procedure. They married and I never saw them again as I returned to my own country. I can't to this day understand either of them. What a trade off. It is something I will never forget.

Either way it would never be easy.
No we can never cancel any emotions.
I find it bizarre for you to say so.
I'm still reeling over you Russian Cabbage comment.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Kayla wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:1) A 15 yo girl is not in a position to have a child.
ummm.... and why is that

Are you kidding? Have you any idea how much it costs? How would she work and look after it?
2) She has not reached legal majority.
its an arbitrary concept of no philosophical relevance

It marks a point where she is legally able to make decisions for herself. That is very important to the discussion, obviously
3) Abortion is always an option. (Contraception is always a better one.)
its not a live option for everyone

Such people should avoid pregnancy until they have the wherewithal to support a child.

i know one girl who got pregnant at 16 and her parents wanted her to have an abortion - and she just did not see it as a serious option

so now she no longer lives with her atheist parents and instead she and her baby live with her holy roller great-aunt

i think her parents could have handled the whole thing without alienating their daughter

anyway she was never exposed to the anti abortion message that is common in churches

but she just didn't want to do it - there might be some basic biological drives at work there
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

thedoc wrote:
chaz wyman wrote: It's not what pleases me. So 10/10 for me too eh?

No, 0/10, if you don't support your children, then you have no real emotional attatchment to them, no love in evidence. I would wonder if anyone who does not have an emotional attatchment to their children, is really human. Most animals, at least have some protective, and supportive, instinct for their offspring.
I have a son whom I support as much as I am allowed. 10/10. As I was not married to his mother I have no legal rights.
It would not matter how much I 'support' my child, it would not change my emotional attachment.
My emotional attachment is the paramount factor in my life.
Emotional attachment is not related to money in my family and my species - what planet are you from?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

(it was written with a tinge of sarcasm) this is an example of the limitations of writing a comment and not speaking.

I'm still reeling over you Russian Cabbage comment

it is a legitimate question, if you recall her description of one of her teachers, I do think it may have been her maths teacher. as he seems to be the only one who discusses topics outside of his prescribed suject. Nothing bizarre about that question, unless I have missed something, which is quite possible
Last edited by reasonvemotion on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

t
I have a son whom I support as much as I am allowed. 10/10. As I was not married to his mother I have no legal rights.
It would not matter how much I 'support' my child, it would not change my emotional attachment.
Emotional attachment is not related to money in my family and my species - what planet are you from?
We are discussing teen pregnancy not 30 something pregnancy, where the father has a solid income and assuming some extensive experience of life. A teenager is far more vulnerable and the circumstances uncertain. I doubt a teenager would have the maturity to cope "alone", if, and I repeat if, she had solid support from a loving family, yes, the circumstances may be softened a little. Have you never seen programes on this, where they give a young teenage couple a baby for a week, under supervised conditions of course, not one couple, coped and happily gave the child back at the end of the experiment. You may have had a child, but you have no idea, the intensity of "caring" for an infant is. It is 24/7 with no tea breaks! I am not denying the love most mothers feel,but it can quickly be replaced to resentment in these cases, by immaturity, lack of support, no father around and swamped and overcome with the demands of this small person. It is not just a physical capability, it is an emotional capability combined and this applies to adult mothers too.

What planet are you from?
Last edited by reasonvemotion on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

the harm of hard core drugs is overstated

dont forget that most information about hard core drugs comes to us from the same people who said that iraq has chemicals weapons
I wish.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

reasonvemotion wrote:Have you never seen programes on this, where they give a young teenage couple a baby for a week, under supervised conditions of course, not one couple, coped and happily gave the child back at the end of the experiment.
i have watched such programs and suspect that they are basically bullshit and results that do not fit pre established script do not get airtime - or maybe the whole thing is even entirely scripted

i do a lot of babysitting - including of infants - and i am not just talking babysitting for a couple of hours as the parents go for dinner - i had cases of having to take care of infants over a couple of days as parents were away having a major family emergency and such

my twin brother and myself frequently take care of our baby brother and can cope with it easily
You may have had a child, but you have no idea, the intensity of "caring" for an infant is. It is 24/7 with no tea breaks! I am not denying the love most mothers feel,but it can quickly be replaced to resentment in these cases, by immaturity, lack of support, no father around
now you are getting somewhere

but why is it that young mothers lack support - is there anything requiring that this must be the case

in my case i did not have to worry about where food and diapers and whatnot were coming from - my parents are well to do and my clients are generally fairly affluent - and i can see those concerns combined with the sheer hard work of caring for a child becoming overwhelming - but there is no necessity about it

perhaps rather than the pointless "those girls should not get pregnant" mantra we should accept that girls sometimes will and that mature adults should have some mature response for it
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:t
We are discussing teen pregnancy not 30 something pregnancy, where the father has a solid income and assuming some extensive experience of life. A teenager is far more vulnerable and the circumstances uncertain. I doubt a teenager would have the maturity to cope "alone", if, and I repeat if, she had solid support from a loving family, yes, the circumstances may be softened a little. Have you never seen programes on this, where they give a young teenage couple a baby for a week, under supervised conditions of course, not one couple, coped and happily gave the child back at the end of the experiment. You may have had a child, but you have no idea, the intensity of "caring" for an infant is. It is 24/7 with no tea breaks! I am not denying the love most mothers feel,but it can quickly be replaced to resentment in these cases, by immaturity, lack of support, no father around and swamped and overcome with the demands of this small person. It is not just a physical capability, it is an emotional capability combined and this applies to adult mothers too.

What planet are you from?
Clearly on Jupiter you come from teenagers come replete with a long list of unstated assumptions that only you know about.

The rest of what you say does not bear on what I was saying.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:

(it was written with a tinge of sarcasm) this is an example of the limitations of writing a comment and not speaking.

I'm still reeling over you Russian Cabbage comment

it is a legitimate question, if you recall her description of one of her teachers, I do think it may have been her maths teacher. as he seems to be the only one who discusses topics outside of his prescribed suject. Nothing bizarre about that question, unless I have missed something, which is quite possible
I still have not a fucking clue what you are talking about: Russian Cabbage??!?!
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

reasonvemotion wrote:

Kayla wrote:

Post subject: russian style pickled cabbage

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:40 am

my russian math teacher - meaning that he is russian and that he teaches math - not that he teaches russian math as opposed to american math - gave me a recipe for picked cabbage

C.W. wrote:
I still have not a fucking clue what you are talking about: Russian Cabbage??!?!

Jesus Christ, you are scary.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:reasonvemotion wrote:

Kayla wrote:

Post subject: russian style pickled cabbage

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:40 am

my russian math teacher - meaning that he is russian and that he teaches math - not that he teaches russian math as opposed to american math - gave me a recipe for picked cabbage

C.W. wrote:

Jesus Christ, you are scary.
Gee I guess I did not read that drivel.

This thread started on 8th October.
Just how fucking scary is it that I do not read every single fucking thread on the Forum--- Do you?
Now THAT is scary.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Kayla wrote: perhaps rather than the pointless "those girls should not get pregnant" mantra we should accept that girls sometimes will and that mature adults should have some mature response for it.

Yes, Mature adults should be capable of a mature response, but this is not always the case. Growing old is manditory, Growing up is optional. In 7 years of teaching I found a few parents like this but even that few was too many. Most adults have children because they want to have children and will do the best they can for them. Some adults do not want children, or find out they don't want them too late, but have them anyway. There are a very few adults who have 'Trophy Children', because it is the socially acceptable thing to do. The latter 2 catigories are where the problems are, and while good parents with well adjusted children get little attention, the problems are what get the press, and these are the children and parents who need to hear the 'Mantras' because sometimes the mantra is correct.
Last edited by thedoc on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

chaz wyman wrote: This thread started on 8th October.
Just how fucking scary is it that I do not read every single fucking thread on the Forum--- Do you?
I read the threads where I contribute, - do you?