What is important in life?

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

WhatIsImportant?

What is important in life?

Post by WhatIsImportant? »

Hi.
I am a man who seeks inspiration with the question: What is really important? I sometimes think, that everything we feel is important is decided by instincts and not by something else. Maybe it is all right that all I do, we do, is decided by instincts like every other creature, but when people say, that "this can't be defined" or this is above life as we know it", then I try to figure out what "that" is. What is it that is above life, if there is anything? Maybe it is okay with "just" the instincts, but then I want to know what instincts to follow. The instinct of seeking relationship? The instinct of pursuing what I find beautiful and interesting? The instinct of using surpression to solve problems? I feel insecure and akward when I try to ignore instincts as shallowness and so.

_Esben Due Yding
The Voice of Time

Re: What is important in life?

Post by The Voice of Time »

Hey! I try to tackle the question of what importance "is" in my blog http://a-philosophy-on-importance.blogspot.no/ which is based upon a small 20-something paged book I completed a while ago. The blog does not deal with instincts and very little with worldly matters directly and is instead seeking things out through investigations appearing as metaphors in essay-form. The book it is based on was written in Norwegian and somehow I lost the last chapter of the book which concludes what importance "is" and I yet to rewrite the chapter as I was not satisfied with it aesthetically (though my conclusions remain the same), but I haven't forgotten it.

The blog is updated through translations of each tiny chapter in the book, and as of yet there are 6 tiny chapters translated, including the prologue.

Besides that I welcome you to the forum and hope that you will give us some interesting discussions ;)
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

What you decide to import is what is important. We should give more value to what is exportant....!
Atthet

Post by Atthet »

WhatIsImportant? wrote:Hi.
I am a man who seeks inspiration with the question: What is really important?
What's important to me, is hating and rejecting everyone on this planet. I don't want to associate with anybody, and want to exclude everybody, and myself, from this world. I find nothing worthwhile, or meaningful, from other people, but only from myself. I have purpose, but nobody else in this world has purpose. I want to horde all this meaning and purpose, for myself, and never share a single bit of it with anyone. I want to take, and take, and take, and never give.
WhatIsImportant? wrote:I sometimes think, that everything we feel is important is decided by instincts and not by something else.
Emotions and feelings are driven by instinct. Thought is driven by the masculine gender, as a resistance against instinct. This is called "reason" and rationality.
WhatIsImportant? wrote:Maybe it is all right that all I do, we do, is decided by instincts like every other creature, but when people say, that "this can't be defined" or this is above life as we know it", then I try to figure out what "that" is. What is it that is above life, if there is anything? Maybe it is okay with "just" the instincts, but then I want to know what instincts to follow. The instinct of seeking relationship? The instinct of pursuing what I find beautiful and interesting? The instinct of using surpression to solve problems? I feel insecure and akward when I try to ignore instincts as shallowness and so.

_Esben Due Yding
Never accept instinct, emotion, and feeling. Reject the "we", keep the "I". Focus on yourself, and putting yourself above "we". Disconnect, divorce, and separate yourself from "we". Hate the we. Love the I. Become a man.
WhatIsImportant?

Thanks for the replies. I find them interesting.

Atthet: I think I can identify with the opinion, that "I before we". I sometimes try to tell myself, that I can only be happy, if I feel that my surroundings are in harmony. If that's true, then I don't have to feel shame or disapointment, because I don't do charity everyday or something similar. Because if I "just" pursue what I feel is right for me, and what does me well, then I will help others anyway and not become evil or selfish.
The thing that you posted about hating others and seeking isolation and so, has to have an argument. Why do you think, that you want to exclude yourself from others. Why ignore your instincts if they are the only thing you have, and if they are what has created you? Isn't it an instinct also to have the feeling of excluding yourself from the "we", because you maybe want to start a new "wave" of thinking or similar to gain power and attention from others? I need an argument.

-Thanks
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

'42', when you figure out the exact question, let us know. - Welcome.
The Voice of Time

That was the "meaning" of life, doc, not the importance. You'll have to wait 10 million new years because you failed giving the proper question :roll:
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." -- Conan

What else is there?
WhatIsImportant?

Forged in hell: What you seem to describe/quote is power and sadism(if sadism means to enjoy watching other suffer). So you mean power and sadism is really important in life?
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

WhatIsImportant? wrote:Forged in hell: What you seem to describe/quote is power and sadism(if sadism means to enjoy watching other suffer). So you mean power and sadism is really important in life?
I mean telling jokes is important in life.

You thought I was serious? The "lamentations of the women"? I find that so over-the-top as to be funny.
The Voice of Time

Watching his activity on this forum I'd say he took the quote literally and wholeheartedly... but fails to deliver ^^
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

The Voice of Time wrote:Watching his activity on this forum I'd say he took the quote literally and wholeheartedly... but fails to deliver ^^
Yeah, right. My conduct? And precisely what has that been? To confront the bigots on here when others turned a blind eye? To fight for freedom whereas most everyone here has deluded themselves into thinking freedom is a dirty word. Imagine the nerve of me suggesting that people be allowed to live their lives as they see fit without harming another, and that people should take responsibility for themselves. Damn, how utterly nasty I have been promoting those two ideas. For asking people to justify their positions, including the study of philosophy itself? Yes, how imbecilic and nasty that was, but, surprise, surprise, the latest issue of Philosophy Now is dedicated to that very topic. To stand my ground while others make threats and call me "fucking ****" state that "all Jews are racist" and other juvenile vulgarity. Yes, how dare I do that. Oh, and I reject the idea of a supernatural being called god. Despite the fact that reason, empirical evidence and logic are on my side on that one, yes, I must be demonized as some heathen worthy of hell fire.
The Voice of Time

I think you missed the point about those ideas not mentioning so much what you do as how you do it...
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

The Voice of Time wrote:I think you missed the point about those ideas not mentioning so much what you do as how you do it...
"How I do it"? Who else has been called a "fucking ****" repeatedly? A racist because "all Jews are racist"? A member of a cabal that "controls the entire US economy"? While you prissy idiots say and do nothing when I am being attacked, you sure do get all concerned about civility when I respond. That's a double-standard. You should take a look at your own conduct on here. The hypocrisy stinks.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

The Voice of Time wrote:That was the "meaning" of life, doc, not the importance. You'll have to wait 10 million new years because you failed giving the proper question :roll:

No, actually it was the answer to "The really big Question about life, the Universe, and everything." emphasis on 'everything' which would include meaning and importance. - '42'. - You need to play another 10 million games of solitare.