ethics of Surrogacy

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonvemotion

Re: ethics of Surrogacy

Post by reasonvemotion »

I also think it is subjective. In Glasgow and Edinburgh, there are many lovely and sought after basement flats by families, couples and singles alike e.g. http://www.capitala.co.uk/renovation-ba ... burgh.html, although as a student I usually ended up living in third or fourth floor flats, which would be more cumbersome especially for young families e.g. with children in prams.

Attachments:

45,000 pounds? which converts to around 70,000 australian dollars? that is very inexpensive. Here, you would have to multiply that price at least six times, it would probably cost around 400,000 odd dollars, maybe a little more?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

johngalthasspoken wrote: i really don't understand your hostility towards single fatherhood

No hostility, I don't understand where you are reading that into any of my posts. But I am starting to agree with Reasonvemotion's opinion of you. Good luck, I hope the child turns out OK.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

reasonvemotion wrote:
I also think it is subjective. In Glasgow and Edinburgh, there are many lovely and sought after basement flats by families, couples and singles alike e.g. http://www.capitala.co.uk/renovation-ba ... burgh.html, although as a student I usually ended up living in third or fourth floor flats, which would be more cumbersome especially for young families e.g. with children in prams.

Attachments:

45,000 pounds? which converts to around 70,000 australian dollars? that is very inexpensive. Here, you would have to multiply that price at least six times, it would probably cost around 400,000 odd dollars, maybe a little more?
Yes you are correct, the £45k was for the renovation. 1 bed flats ~£100k+, which is why I no longer there, sadly :cry: .
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

thedoc wrote:One question I would raise for John to answer, or any man contemplating this. How much time have you spent with children of any age? It is not unusual for an unmarried couple to live together and I can only assume that it is through this kind of arrangment that John has decided against a long term relationship with a woman. How ever it is not common for a man to take care of a child for extended periods of time, and believe me changing a really messy diaper can put you off the idea of having children. And then there is the willful defiance, temper tantrums, and howling crying meltdowns in public places. I bring these things up from experience, 3 children, 7 grandchildren, and 2 of the grandchildren lived in my house for 18 months and they are soon turning 3 and 7, and there was a considerable amount of time where I was the only adult care giver. Having a child in your care is not a decision to be taken lightly, and just as in relationships with another adult, some experience would be helpful.
John, I would have thought about asking similar questions but why should it be only to a single man? Not to a friend who was never interested in having children, announced at age 39 and with various heath problems, to her husband that she wanted to have a baby and then went through successful one-chance only ivf in the UK to have a baby girl? Not to lesbian couple acquaintances of the similar age, who travelled to Norway to undergo a couple of private ivf treatments before success to have a baby boy?

I grew up in what was a one parent household, by the time I came along, and though another environment may have provided a different range of influences, opportunities and challenges, I was always loved and I do not feel any less a person or disadvantaged in any way. It could not have been easy for my mother but my father took no part in my upbringing and I did not miss him although sometimes I was curious about him.

I hope that if you do have a child, by surrogate, adoption or perhaps with a partner as strange things can happen once you have made a life changing decision, that you will know the joy of having a happy and healthy child who loves you and you love back :D.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lynn wrote: John, I would have thought about asking similar questions but why should it be only to a single man? :D.

If I understand your question correctly, I asked this of John, a single man, because this is the subject of this thread. I would also address these questions and comments to any single person contemplating having a child, man or woman.
johngalthasspoken

Post by johngalthasspoken »

Thanks for the kind words Lynn..i'm keeping all options open for now
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

thedoc wrote:
Lynn wrote: John, I would have thought about asking similar questions but why should it be only to a single man? :D.

If I understand your question correctly, I asked this of John, a single man, because this is the subject of this thread. I would also address these questions and comments to any single person contemplating having a child, man or woman.
Yes, I understand that but I realised that if I had posed the question, I would have to have asked it in other situations also, including couples, which I realised I had not done.

My thoughts were prompted by seeking experience for career change situations.
A woman felt aggrieved that she wasn't successful when applying to become a teacher, at a time when it was particularly difficult to get into the profession. She regarded teaching as her vocation however she had never taught or worked with children in any capacity so it was suggested that she volunteer or take a classroom assistant post and then re-apply after she has gained some experience. She took this route and become a successful teacher.
Another started teacher training, realised it was not for her a few weeks later and went into I.T.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Lynn wrote:
thedoc wrote:

Yes, I understand that but I realised that if I had posed the question, I would have to have asked it in other situations also, including couples, which I realised I had not done.

My thoughts were prompted by seeking experience for career change situations.
A woman felt aggrieved that she wasn't successful when applying to become a teacher, at a time when it was particularly difficult to get into the profession. She regarded teaching as her vocation however she had never taught or worked with children in any capacity so it was suggested that she volunteer or take a classroom assistant post and then re-apply after she has gained some experience. She took this route and become a successful teacher.
Another started teacher training, realised it was not for her a few weeks later and went into I.T.

When I attended the orientation, starting college, where I earned a degree in education to teach Industrial Arts, there was an announcment for anyone considering majoring in history to please reconsider. There must have been a glut of teachers in that area. However for my major I was almost guaranteed a position, and indeed I was hired, in fact I had more than one offer. In some subjects there is a need to demonstrate compitence in order to get a good job, in my area there was none, any warm body was eagerly sought out.