Write the first thought that comes to your head!

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Voice of Time

Write the first thought that comes to your head!

Post by The Voice of Time »

As title says: write the first thought that comes to your head!

Mine:

I need to grab another coke can from my fridge

Answering thought 1 to Major: it's 13:53 here in Norway, which is well past midday, but that may have been your second thought ^^
Last edited by The Voice of Time on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marjoramblues

Re: Write the first thought that comes to your head!

Post by marjoramblues »

Coke for breakfast ?
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

The Voice of Time wrote:As title says: write the first thought that comes to your head!

Mine:

I need to grab another coke can from my fridge

Answering thought 1 to Major: it's 13:53 here in Norway, which is well past midday, but that may have been your second thought ^^
No, I knew about the time difference; my second thought was:

'...because one coke is not enough ! ' :P

Are second thoughts 'better' ? :wink:
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

An aside:

Hmmph - I see this is under 'epistemology' - so, not a frivolous thread, then?

Not a smart 'funny', but about 'thought itself ?

Because first thoughts are usually always censored, aren't they ?
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

marjoramblues wrote:An aside:

Hmmph - I see this is under 'epistemology' - so, not a frivolous thread, then?

Not a smart 'funny', but about 'thought itself ?

Because first thoughts are usually always censored, aren't they ?
It's a funny look at the original thought in a stream of consciousness. It's not too serious Epistemology, but epistemology by a scarce. I was hoping some interesting first thoughts might appear, though I encourage all first thoughts to be written. And about the coke I did have one also for breakfast :P Including 0,5 litre of burn energy drink, which was before the coke for breakfast :P
John

Post by John »

Surely any first thought you have has already been influenced by the fact that you're reading a thread called "Write the first thought that comes to your head!"?

If ever anyone where the blurt out at me, to catch me off guard, "what's the first thought that comes into your head?" I'd probably reply "why are you asking me what the first thought that comes into my head is?"
Notvacka

Post by Notvacka »

My first thought was a scene from the movie Fever Pitch, where Colin Firth's football-obsessed character is confronted about lying when asked what he's thinking about: "I gotta vary the answers, don't I? I can't say Arsenal every time". :lol:
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

John wrote:Surely any first thought you have has already been influenced by the fact that you're reading a thread called "Write the first thought that comes to your head!"?

If ever anyone where the blurt out at me, to catch me off guard, "what's the first thought that comes into your head?" I'd probably reply "why are you asking me what the first thought that comes into my head is?"
That might be your 'reply' to a blurter, but wouldn't your first 'thought' be 'Plonker!' ? :wink: Depending.

Any initial response would, as you suggest, be influenced by context...who's asking, what do they really want to know, and why should I bother replying...

My immediate conscious thought was 'not another of those bloomin' word-association threads that try to get to know you ' and then, 'what the hell, give it a go'.

So, now you know - and then I thought again...

Never ending stream, whot ? :roll:

Proper 'Pologies to Voice who wanted it to be: '... a funny look at the original thought in a stream of consciousness...'

Next through the car wash...
artisticsolution

Post by artisticsolution »

I'm stumped for an answer. I think it was rainbows and lollipops but I can't remember now upon second thought which is...what was the question again?
Thundril

Post by Thundril »

On reading the thread title, my first thought was 'Why?'
My partner sometimes asks me what I'm thinking about, and I try to answer as honestly as I can. It could be anything from 'Where did I put my driving licence?' to 'What other explanations could there be for the universe's red shift?'
She doesn't ask as often these days.
When I ask her the same question, it's very often a piece of aerial choreography, but I don't really need to ask because I can see her body very slightly swaying, and her head (ever so slightly) nodding to some piece of imagined music.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Thundril wrote:On reading the thread title, my first thought was 'Why?'
My partner sometimes asks me what I'm thinking about, and I try to answer as honestly as I can. It could be anything from 'Where did I put my driving licence?' to 'What other explanations could there be for the universe's red shift?'
She doesn't ask as often these days.
When I ask her the same question, it's very often a piece of aerial choreography, but I don't really need to ask because I can see her body very slightly swaying, and her head (ever so slightly) nodding to some piece of imagined music.
A late male friend once told me to stop asking what guys are thinking about as it was bound to disappoint, his example was 'what would it be like to be a spy' :lol:.
Thundril

Post by Thundril »

Lynn wrote: A late male friend once told me to stop asking what guys are thinking about as it was bound to disappoint, his example was 'what would it be like to be a spy' :lol:.
:lol:
But now you know we will probably be thinking inconsequential twaddle, it won't be disappointing, will it?
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Thundril wrote:
Lynn wrote: A late male friend once told me to stop asking what guys are thinking about as it was bound to disappoint, his example was 'what would it be like to be a spy' :lol:.
:lol:
But now you know we will probably be thinking inconsequential twaddle, it won't be disappointing, will it?
No I know it is an unfair position to put someone in. In my experience, there is usually a motive behind the question, whether consciously accepted or not e.g. why are you not talking to or avoiding me? I have resolved to communicate better, even if it comes across like a primary school teacher annoyingly spelling it out, or issue a 'fishing alert' when seeking reassurance if feeling insecure. That's the plan anyway :wink:.
hammock

Post by hammock »

The Voice of Time wrote:As title says: write the first thought that comes to your head! Mine: I need to grab another coke can from my fridge

Mine: I wonder if even this second attempt to post on PNF will finally appear.
Thundril

Post by Thundril »

Lynn wrote:No I know it is an unfair position to put someone in. In my experience, there is usually a motive behind the question, whether consciously accepted or not e.g. why are you not talking to or avoiding me? I have resolved to communicate better, even if it comes across like a primary school teacher annoyingly spelling it out, or issue a 'fishing alert' when seeking reassurance if feeling insecure. That's the plan anyway :wink:.
With me and my partner, (also called Lyn, btw, but just the one n) it's become a standing joke. She's usually thinking about something quite immediate (as in the example I gave; thinking about her job) and I'm usually speculating about international politics or religion, or something completely off-world, like wondering what is the chance that all the stable elements in the periodic table would be found on the one planet!
When it comes to questions like what we could have to eat, I'm stumped. I'll happily do the shopping, cook the food and wash up afterwards, if only Lyn makes the decision about what we're going to have.
I don't know why I find that so difficult.