Why do people still believe in God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

LuvPimpinYou

Why do people still believe in God?

Post by LuvPimpinYou »

When it's obvious, there isn't one.
ForgedinHell

Re: Why do people still believe in God?

Post by ForgedinHell »

LuvPimpinYou wrote:When it's obvious, there isn't one.
Why is it obvious there isn't one?
Satyr

Post by Satyr »

Existence is about confronting the unknown.
Most, having been produced within sheltered environments and would have perished or never been born at all, find it difficult to accept reality as it is and as it appears.

This existential angst can only deal with reality with unsubstantiated hope....which is another way of saying "faith".

These minds are naturally attracted to whatever offers them an alternative that flatters them, comforts them or gives them a goal to strive for - a meaning and purpose - which also promises absolution from life's struggles, uncertainties, risks and absence of absolutes.

The sensation of this absence is, need. When left unsatisfied for a long enough period the deconstruction the disordering, is felt as suffering.

This attraction is nihilism, as it takes the perceived and flips it on its head...then it calls this "positive" when it really a negation of reality, thusly turning the tables in the same way Orwell described. It also explains why Nietzsche referred to himself as a nihilist: he nullified the nihilism around him...and what does a negative of a negative produce?
Most of modernity is founded on this flipping of principles, or concepts, where the negative becomes positive and the positive negative...in other words what makes life possible is turned into an evil and what makes life null and void, static, decaying, is called "positive".

This hypocritical "positivity" is obviously seductive to the majority who cannot cope and who intuitively feel their worth in relation to others and to nature.
To save face they accept unreasoned, absurdity, delusion, as an indication of their faithfulness to the Deity that demands it form them, as evidence of commitment and surrender.
This is the herd psychology on display and how human husbandry is practiced.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

To ensure survival of the individual and therefrom preservation of the specie, each individual is programmed the primal fear of death and various instincts to avoid death till the inevitable.

The unfortunate circumstance for humans is, they are also endowed with self-consciousness and thus is conscious of inevitable death, which spontaneously trigger the primordial fear of death, which the mother of all mental terrors.

To facilitate a degree of peace of mind, human are also programmed with inhibitors to suppress this self-awareness of inevitable death, but it is not strong enough to hold such surging primordial fears of mortality from leaking and manifesting subconsciously and intermittenly on a conscious basis as the mother of all mental terrors, angst, anxieties and an existential crisis.

As Kierkegaard had pointed out, human beings are too fallible, fragile and impotent to deal with this real mother-of-all-mental-terrors, and as such the most effective approach is to look for salvation beyond oneself, even if it is absurd, a lie or bullsh!t, i.e. God, soul, etc.
Btw, sexual fantasy and imaginations can facilitate reproduction and preservation of the specie, why not the fantasy of God to resolve psychological angst.

Till the cognitive and consciosuness levels are expanded in neural terms to deal with the existential crisis, the majority of human beings will continue to cling to god as a savior with a promise of immortality to counter the self-consciousness of inevitable death and the mother of all terrors.

In the past, humanity had to bear/tolerate with the trade off between the devil and the deep blue sea, i.e. of truth (of real mortality fears and terrors) with the lies of God. However, the collective consciousness of humanity is expanding to tilt the trade-off towards truths.

The belief in an illusionary god as a trade off for the mother of all terrors, must be weaned off gradually from humanity ASAP. This is necessary for humanity to focus on truth to enable it to face the impending external threats (meteorites, global warming, Gamma Ray Bursts, etc.) of the future.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
fiveredapples

Post by fiveredapples »

When it's obvious, there isn't one.
The better question is: Why don't you believe in God?
Satyr

Post by Satyr »

Retards always reverse the question they cannot answer or justify:

They ask for proof or justifications for a negative.

Therefore all must be believe as existing until someone justifies or explains why one should not believe in their existence.

Therefore I still believe in Leprechauns until someone explains to me why they do not.
All hail the coming Dark Ages; all hail stupidity and the rise of the meek.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

ForgedinHell wrote:
Is there a reason why you are both oblivious that there is one?
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

attofishpi wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:
Is there a reason why you are both oblivious that there is one?
I never stated it was obvious that there was a god. I don't think any theist can prove the existence of a supernatural being. I just also think some one will have an equally hard time proving there isn't a supernatural being.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

ForgedInHell wrote:
attofishpi wrote:Is there a reason why you are both oblivious that there is one?
I never stated it was obvious that there was a god. I don't think any theist can prove the existence of a supernatural being. I just also think some one will have an equally hard time proving there isn't a supernatural being.
I never stated that either....read the word 'oblivious' in my statement (not obvious).
I agree with your second statement. (in the current point in time)
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

attofishpi wrote:
ForgedInHell wrote:
attofishpi wrote:Is there a reason why you are both oblivious that there is one?
I never stated that either....read the word 'oblivious' in my statement (not obvious).
I agree with your second statement. (in the current point in time)
Sorry, I read obvious. I thought you were trying to co-opt me into the enemy camp.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

ForgedinHell wrote:Sorry, I read obvious. I thought you were trying to co-opt me into the enemy camp.
Oh what a terrible dilemma that would be. My dilemma is far worse, you see, your camp are extremely rational (in comparison) and have no reason to switch sides. My camp unfortunately seem to have amassed (no pun intended) masses of bigoted idiots.
jorgea

Post by jorgea »

People believe in a Higher Power, or god out of pure faith that there is something greater than themselves who controls the universes. But this is often out of a narrow type of faith without questioning. Something must have created everything we see around us. Radon chance couldn't have created so much perfect order.