straw dogs by john gray

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

JasonPalmer

straw dogs by john gray

Post by JasonPalmer »

he makes a lot of sense, he says 'everything is crap, people are just animals and doooooomed' lol :D
The Jesus Head

Re: straw dogs by john gray

Post by The Jesus Head »

JasonPalmer wrote:he makes a lot of sense, he says 'everything is crap, people are just animals and doooooomed' lol :D
He is right.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

JasonPalmer wrote:he makes a lot of sense, he says 'everything is crap, people are just animals and doooooomed' lol :D
Sort of but if you read the end he still makes a plea for humanity to prevail. I can't tell if he's just firing for effect or believes what he says, as this plea at the end makes a mockery of the rest I think. I also found it annoying that he used so much fiction to make his point so think it maybe just for an effect.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Well done on getting to the end. I flaked out at the end of chapter 2, I think.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

:lol: I admit to skim reading the fictional bits as what use fiction in philosophy other than for effect.
John

Post by John »

Arising_uk wrote::lol: I admit to skim reading the fictional bits as what use fiction in philosophy other than for effect.
Aren't all thought experiments a fiction?

Anyway, I've only read a few pages as a set text so I should probably keep my mouth shut :lol:
The Jesus Head

Post by The Jesus Head »

Arising_uk wrote:
Sort of but if you read the end he still makes a plea for humanity to prevail. I can't tell if he's just firing for effect or believes what he says, as this plea at the end makes a mockery of the rest I think. I also found it annoying that he used so much fiction to make his point so think it maybe just for an effect.
It is a sad reflection on your understanding of one of the greatest thinkers on the planet that he is derided as being someone whose commercial intentions are affectation .
John Gray was the Professor of European Thought at the London School of Economics
and his views on the political world are of the highest intellectual order.
The Jesus Head

Post by The Jesus Head »

RickLewis wrote:Well done on getting to the end. I flaked out at the end of chapter 2, I think.
I suggest you read False Dawn, Black Mass and Heresies .
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

The Jesus Head wrote:It is a sad reflection on your understanding of one of the greatest thinkers on the planet that he is derided as being someone whose commercial intentions are affectation .
Not as sad as your reading ability, as I said "effect" not "affect" but funny that you think he's just doing it for commercial reasons, bit tawdry for one of the greatest thinkers upon the planet don't you think?
John Gray was the Professor of European Thought at the London School of Economics
I know who he is as I've read the book. Whats 'European Thought' when its at home?
The Jesus Head

Post by The Jesus Head »

It is a sad reflection on your understanding of one of the greatest thinkers on the planet that he is derided as being someone whose commercial intentions are affectation .
Not as sad as your reading ability, as I said "effect" not "affect" but funny that you think he's just doing it for commercial reasons, bit tawdry for one of the greatest thinkers upon the planet don't you think?
Because you are a pseudo intellectual semi literate wannabe philosopher you applied the word "effect" to suggest insincerity and posturing .This is, in fact ,more appropriately termed affectation . Linguistically totally beyond you ,but I guess ,you live in the limelight of being the local hero "intellectual" in the back street pubs you frequent ,where such faux pas are beyond the comprehension of the local rabble.

I know who he is as I've read the book. Whats 'European Thought' when its at home?
You criticise Gray. Someone who would regard you as a philistine clot of the lowest water line.
You do not have shred of credibility with me my friend .
But the world is made up of little fish ponds in which inhabitant goldfish think they are whales.
Gray's main theme is that human's are deluded animals.
This ,I am afraid, applies to you.
You are deluded into thinking you are a great thinker
since your companions cannot think.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.
Nikolai

Post by Nikolai »

RickLewis wrote:Well done on getting to the end. I flaked out at the end of chapter 2, I think.
Oh dear. Are you sure you're fit to edit this magazine?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Nikolai wrote:
:D No, I've never been sure about that! I only got the job because I knew the magazine's founder. More accurately, I was the founder. Also, nobody else wanted to do the job for no money!

As regards reading, I see it like this. I have a huge long list of great books that I would like to read and not nearly enough time to read them all. (For the last 20 years I've spent most of my reading moments assessing article submissions for the magazine). Therefore if I start reading a book and I get the impression after a chapter or so that it isn't much cop, then I simply stop reading it and start to read something else instead.

The danger of this is that occasionally I'm sure to miss out on some extraordinary reading experience, where a book turns out - despite its unpromising beginning - to be utterly brilliant. However, on the whole and given that the universe is finite, I think my picky approach is more likely to result in me reading good stuff than if I were to dutifully plod to the end of every book I started, even if the book in question was a drag.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

The Jesus Head wrote:It is a sad reflection on your understanding of one of the greatest thinkers on the planet that he is derided as being someone whose commercial intentions are affectation .
You think bolding your words clarifies their import?

You are still implying that he writes for commercial gain. Is that not a little tawdry for one of the greatest thinkers on the planet?
Because you are a pseudo intellectual semi literate wannabe philosopher ...
:lol: And I've got the bits of paper to prove it!
you applied the word "effect" to suggest insincerity and posturing . ...
Do you understand what the phrase 'fire for effect' means numbnuts?
This is, in fact ,more appropriately termed affectation . ...
So no, its not.
Linguistically totally beyond you ,but I guess ,you live in the limelight of being the local hero "intellectual" in the back street pubs you frequent ,where such faux pas are beyond the comprehension of the local rabble.
Well, you would certainly get a response if you told someone they'd made a faux pas. :lol:
You criticise Gray. ...
Do I? I suppose so, as I find that 'philosophy' books that contain a large amount of quotes from novelists tend to be politics designed to produce an effect in the philosophically credulous rather than philosophy per se.
Someone who would regard you as a philistine clot of the lowest water line. ...
You'd know this how? But given I have a degree in philosophy and he has a PPE I guess we'd rub along okay. Experience has also shown me that professors tend not to think like this.
:lol: Given your words and thoughts on this forum so far I think I'll live.
But the world is made up of little fish ponds in which inhabitant goldfish think they are whales.
Is it? Does that explain why you are here then?
I know what his theme is. Although it does puzzle me as whats that supposed to mean? As animals are not deluded and if we are then that makes us a very unique animal I think, something that at the end of this book he does appeal to. I think this phrase is just another fire for effect to get the hoi poloi pseuds going.
Don't be afraid, I'm not.
You know my friends? I think not. But I am not deluded about my thoughts as I've studied many subjects and especially philosophy so I know where my thinks lie in the great scheme of things. Shame you appear not so wise.
Only if he doesn't touch them.
p.s.
Those who throw linguistics about should be a little more careful with their grammar and punctuation.
The Jesus Head

Post by The Jesus Head »

Arising_uk wrote:
You think bolding your words clarifies their import?

You are still implying that he writes for commercial gain. Is that not a little tawdry for one of the greatest thinkers on the planet?
Because you are a pseudo intellectual semi literate wannabe philosopher ...
:lol: And I've got the bits of paper to prove it!
you applied the word "effect" to suggest insincerity and posturing . ...
Do you understand what the phrase 'fire for effect' means numbnuts?
This is, in fact ,more appropriately termed affectation . ...
So no, its not.
Linguistically totally beyond you ,but I guess ,you live in the limelight of being the local hero "intellectual" in the back street pubs you frequent ,where such faux pas are beyond the comprehension of the local rabble.
Well, you would certainly get a response if you told someone they'd made a faux pas. :lol:
You criticise Gray. ...
Do I? I suppose so, as I find that 'philosophy' books that contain a large amount of quotes from novelists tend to be politics designed to produce an effect in the philosophically credulous rather than philosophy per se.
Someone who would regard you as a philistine clot of the lowest water line. ...
You'd know this how? But given I have a degree in philosophy and he has a PPE I guess we'd rub along okay. Experience has also shown me that professors tend not to think like this.
:lol: Given your words and thoughts on this forum so far I think I'll live.
Is it? Does that explain why you are here then?
I know what his theme is. Although it does puzzle me as whats that supposed to mean? As animals are not deluded and if we are then that makes us a very unique animal I think, something that at the end of this book he does appeal to. I think this phrase is just another fire for effect to get the hoi poloi pseuds going.
Don't be afraid, I'm not.
You know my friends? I think not. But I am not deluded about my thoughts as I've studied many subjects and especially philosophy so I know where my thinks lie in the great scheme of things. Shame you appear not so wise.
Only if he doesn't touch them.
p.s.
Those who throw linguistics about should be a little more careful with their grammar and punctuation.

So you say you have a degree in philosophy and John Gray not ,so you are smarter,wiser more erudite? He is a major world academic and you are an air bag from the back streets and a fraud, since the chances that someone like you has a degree in anything, is so remote, it is not even a wild bet.
You are a grade A fantasist on the dole living in a bedsit.
Don't expect me to engage with you further since I am not going to drop any
more change into your cap.
The Jesus Head

Post by The Jesus Head »

RickLewis wrote:
Nikolai wrote:
:D No, I've never been sure about that! I only got the job because I knew the magazine's founder. More accurately, I was the founder. Also, nobody else wanted to do the job for no money!

As regards reading, I see it like this. I have a huge long list of great books that I would like to read and not nearly enough time to read them all. (For the last 20 years I've spent most of my reading moments assessing article submissions for the magazine). Therefore if I start reading a book and I get the impression after a chapter or so that it isn't much cop, then I simply stop reading it and start to read something else instead.

The danger of this is that occasionally I'm sure to miss out on some extraordinary reading experience, where a book turns out - despite its unpromising beginning - to be utterly brilliant. However, on the whole and given that the universe is finite, I think my picky approach is more likely to result in me reading good stuff than if I were to dutifully plod to the end of every book I started, even if the book in question was a drag.
John Gray is found in every bookshop in the western world.
Where can your magazine be purchased ?