What is the meaning of life?

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

billa

What is the meaning of life?

Post by billa »

I need this explained simply because I am not that smart.

There are different theories such as atheist existentialism, existential nihilism and absurdism.

Correct me if I am wrong but atheist existentialism and absurdism is the belief that life has no objective meaning to paraphrase no meaning from god but that you create subjective meaning to paraphrase you create your own meaning.

So what is the difference between atheist existentialism and absurdism?

Also if I am not mistaken existential nihilism is the belief that you can't create any meaning subjective or objective. Why can't you create your own meaning in existential nihilism?

Also if you believe everything can be determined by science can you believe in any of the philosophies?
Last edited by billa on Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Impenitent

Re: What is the meaning of life?

Post by Impenitent »

nothing exists?

-Imp
jakaos

Post by jakaos »

Thats a lot of big words for someone claiming not to be very smart. Where does that put me relying on the idea that "life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved"?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

jakaos wrote:... Where does that put me relying on the idea that "life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved"?
What is it you don't understand about this sentence?
duszek

Post by duszek »

A life could be considered a story and many stories (myths, stories in literary works) have a meaning and can be interpreted in a certain way.

The meaning of Odysseus´s life story was ... to fight for his country (even if he unsuccessfully tried to avoid it by pretending to be a madman) and to return home even if tempted by women on the way ?

The meaning of Robin Hood´s life story was ... to show that robbery is not evil if done with the right motivation ?

Our life stories may appear to us more pedestrian and that is why we ask about their meaning so much.

Odysseus and Robin H. probably did not ask themselves that question.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

billa wrote:I need this explained simply because I am not that smart.

There are different theories such as atheist existentialism, existential nihilism and absurdism.

Correct me if I am wrong but atheist existentialism and absurdism is the belief that life has no objective meaning to paraphrase no meaning from god but that you create subjective meaning to paraphrase you create your own meaning.

Also if I am not mistaken existential nihilism is the belief that you can't create any meaning subjective or objective. Why can't you create your own meaning in existential nihilism?

Also if you believe everything can be determined by science can you believe in any of the philosophies?
All of these derive from existentialism, which is that any positing of actual agency rekies upon a transcendent other , and where one does not exist we are determined, choice definitionaly but not effectively manifest. Where there is actual agency and no transcendent there is reality based in denial.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

lancek4 wrote:
billa wrote:I need this explained simply because I am not that smart.

All of these derive from existentialism, which is that any positing of actual agency rekies upon a transcendent other , and where one does not exist we are determined, choice definitionaly but not effectively manifest. Where there is actual agency and no transcendent there is reality based in denial.
the issue is : what is absurd?
MJA

Post by MJA »

The meaning of life is living.

=
cindythompson

Post by cindythompson »

Accomplishing whatever the purpose why you are living.
Resha Caner

Post by Resha Caner »

MJA wrote:The meaning of life is living.
Is it? Is meaning found inside (ding an sich) or in relation to something else (subject/object)?
MJA

Post by MJA »

Just is.

=
Barquentine

Post by Barquentine »

To use our sense-organs and mind to the maximum. To experience, enjoy, interact, revel, contemplate on what we have and what we want and what has past and what will happen.
Resha Caner

Post by Resha Caner »

MJA wrote:Just is.
Is not.