How important is passion?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SpheresOfBalance

Re: How important is passion?

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

doolhoofd wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I've noticed that you still welcome newcomers with name calling and childish condescension
Yeah chaz, what's that all about? :lol:
Slurp, slurp, I believe it's running down your chin!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

doolhoofd wrote:
SpheresOfBalance wrote:I've noticed that you still welcome newcomers with name calling and childish condescension
Yeah, I suggest you read SoB's posts.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

chaz wyman wrote:
doolhoofd wrote:
Yeah, I suggest you read SoB's posts.
Yeah doolhoofd, I'm just treating him in kind! look to me, to see Chaz's reflection.
poet1b

Post by poet1b »

duszek
Where does the inner fire come from ?
Is it possible to make it burn more brightly and devouringly ?
Is it possible to make it go out ?
To me, passion is something you have to go out and find. It is the result of the external acting on the internal. You must find fuel to feed your inner flame.

Yes, those flames burn at varying intensity, and sometimes they go out, which is why it is important to have more than one passion.
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

Being able to coolly and carefully evaluate the choices we face is a valuable skill. But to motivate us to pick one option over another - to make us care about one more than the others - we need our emotions.

As the very words suggest, motivation comes from emotion. And if motivation is a good thing then emotion must be good, too.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonemotion wrote:Being able to coolly and carefully evaluate the choices we face is a valuable skill. But to motivate us to pick one option over another - to make us care about one more than the others - we need our emotions.

As the very words suggest, motivation comes from emotion. And if motivation is a good thing then emotion must be good, too.
Fully!

Without passion, choice is meaningless.
poet1b

Post by poet1b »

*/
With out passion, would we have ever develop reason above simple survival. Would we have ever started painting cave walls, and dreamed of building grand structures, mapping the stars?

I suspect not.

(Edit - Oops, 'be' should be 'we')
Last edited by poet1b on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

poet1b wrote:*/
With out passion, would be have ever develop reason above simple survival. Would we have ever started painting cave walls, and dreamed of building grand structures, mapping the stars?

I suspect not.
Yeah fully.
duszek

Post by duszek »

And where does emotion come from ?
Is it innate ? Or is it cultural ?

I see something and feel anger.

I see an apple, want to eat it and an ape snatches it and runs away.
The emotion of anger could be innate in this case.

Sometimes we feel angry because of something (a colleague´s remark) and we did not feel angry about such things before. Pehaps because we used to be a wimp and trained ourselves to be more courageous.

Is it good or bad for us to feel anger ?
Ira (wrath) is one of the deadly sins.

Difficult.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:And where does emotion come from ?
Is it innate ? Or is it cultural ?

I see something and feel anger.

I see an apple, want to eat it and an ape snatches it and runs away.
The emotion of anger could be innate in this case.

Sometimes we feel angry because of something (a colleague´s remark) and we did not feel angry about such things before. Pehaps because we used to be a wimp and trained ourselves to be more courageous.

Is it good or bad for us to feel anger ?
Ira (wrath) is one of the deadly sins.

Difficult.
Emotion is innate. But how and where it is applied, and to what extend it is allowed or controlled is learned.
I don't care for 'deadly sins' - are they even in the bible?
Good or bad is about the application and how it affects others.
duszek

Post by duszek »

So it must be the reason which tells me which emotions are good and should be allowed to thrive and which emotions are bad and should be got rid of.

Reason can look at experience and evaluate it: whenever I acted in anger I always regretted it. So it is better to remain calm and serene.

Deadly sins are not in the Bible, they are in the catechism, which young Catholics are expected to learn.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

duszek wrote:So it must be the reason which tells me which emotions are good and should be allowed to thrive and which emotions are bad and should be got rid of.

Well its more to do with habit and culture, less to do with reason.

Reason can look at experience and evaluate it: whenever I acted in anger I always regretted it. So it is better to remain calm and serene.

WOuldn't be much help in a boxing ring.

Deadly sins are not in the Bible, they are in the catechism, which young Catholics are expected to learn.
sandystevees

Post by sandystevees »

Passion is the energy that comes from bringing more of YOU into what you do.Passion and Attitude are more important than beauty, intelligence, physical prowess, talent, or peace.Simply put, it's being who you are and doing what comes naturally. When what you do is in alignment with who you are, you get energy from doing it. It's like water flowing along its natural riverbed. It actually gains energy from the path it's taking (compare that to what most people experience in their work, which is more like trying to force it up and over a mountain). An attitude is a favorable or unfavorable evaluation of something.