Aesthetic, ethical and Religious

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Patrick Watts

Aesthetic, ethical and Religious

Post by Patrick Watts »

Kierkegaard's aesthetic, ethical and religious

What is it about the aesthetic mode of existence that you guys find too limited? If you consider the luxurious indulgences of those with money, you might even want to consider some modes of the aesthetic evil, bad or amoral.

Why criticize the aesthetic to begin with?

I have my own thoughts on this, I'm just curious to hear other perspectives, and maybe we can get a constructive discussion going.
chaz wyman

Re: Aesthetic, ethical and Religious

Post by chaz wyman »

Patrick Watts wrote:Kierkegaard's aesthetic, ethical and religious

What is it about the aesthetic mode of existence that you guys find too limited? If you consider the luxurious indulgences of those with money, you might even want to consider some modes of the aesthetic evil, bad or amoral.

Why criticize the aesthetic to begin with?

I have my own thoughts on this, I'm just curious to hear other perspectives, and maybe we can get a constructive discussion going.
I've heard of these 3 categories, but what exactly doe she mean by them?
As I understand it it is an existential hierarchy or journey. I can't see how or why humans would start at a then go to e and end up at r.
In my experience of others it can be that the religions eschew the aesthetic being bound by the religious and never get to the ethical their whole lives.
For me I do not see the aesthetic and the ethical as antithetical in any sense and think that the religious is what many people are in the process and rejecting in favour of an ethical aesthetic to living.

I can only suggest that K's scheme is very personal and not to be taken seriously as a normative or general piece of advice.
puto

Post by puto »

Chaz, you are an idiot!
puto

Post by puto »

Aestheticism comes from the Greek word for "perception.'" This is the life-mode of the person whose motivation is pleasure, or sensation. It has to do with "despair'" which is the opposite of faith; "the sickness unto death.'"

Ethical Sphere an absolute commitment to at least one other human being.

Religious is devotion to the divine.

You have to read all of Kierkegaard's books to understand his works, because they are written to the individual.

I studied him on the college level, and by my self-interest, and his was devoted to his work, but with total disregard for Philosophical works. You need a Philosophical back ground to understand what I am writing. He was very devoted to his works, but not a Philosopher.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

puto wrote:Aestheticism comes from the Greek word for "perception.'" This is the life-mode of the person whose motivation is pleasure, or sensation. It has to do with "despair'" which is the opposite of faith; "the sickness unto death.'"

Ethical Sphere an absolute commitment to at least one other human being.

Religious is devotion to the divine.

You have to read all of Kierkegaard's books to understand his works, because they are written to the individual.

Dah I already said "I can only suggest that K's scheme is very personal and not to be taken seriously as a normative or general piece of advice." Maybe you are capable of learning?

I studied him on the college level, and by my self-interest, and his was devoted to his work, but with total disregard for Philosophical works. You need a Philosophical back ground to understand what I am writing. He was very devoted to his works, but not a Philosopher.
Bloody Hell - I've been asking you to contribute something - and you come up with THIS?
Any moron can look up dictionary definitions.
None of this is particularly relevant to Kiergegaard.
If you had really read his book then you would know that you have added nothing to the question of this thread.
puto

Post by puto »

Chaz, you are an idiot, nothing more, and nothing less!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

puto wrote:Chaz, you are an idiot, nothing more, and nothing less!
When you contribute something then I'll respond to you.
puto

Post by puto »

Chaz, Understand This: I could careless if you respond to me. You are an idiot!
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

puto wrote:Chaz, Understand This: I could careless if you respond to me. You are an idiot!
That's odd. Why is it that you seem to be so keen to read all my posts and you keep asking me your dumb fool questions!!
If you don't want me to respond to you then stop asking stupid questions!
Seems like you are a little bit obsessed with me!
It must be love! :wink:
puto

Post by puto »

Chaz, you are a child, and you keep proving it.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

puto wrote:Chaz, you are a child, and you keep proving it.
I refer you back to the answer I made below