Men Brain See Women as Objects

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Men Brain See Women as Objects

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

The research, published in the European Journal of Social Psychology, found in a series of experiments that participants processed images of men and women in very different ways. When presented with images of men, perceivers tended to rely more on "global" cognitive processing, the mental method in which a person is perceived as a whole.
Meanwhile, images of women were more often the subject of "local" cognitive processing, or the objectifying perception of something as an assemblage of its various parts.
For more details see,
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150215.htm
ForgedinHell

Re: Men Brain See Women as Objects

Post by ForgedinHell »

Veritas Aequitas wrote:
The research, published in the European Journal of Social Psychology, found in a series of experiments that participants processed images of men and women in very different ways. When presented with images of men, perceivers tended to rely more on "global" cognitive processing, the mental method in which a person is perceived as a whole.
Meanwhile, images of women were more often the subject of "local" cognitive processing, or the objectifying perception of something as an assemblage of its various parts.
For more details see,
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 150215.htm
Maybe that's because women are too sexy to take in all at once?
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Research has been done in the computer games industry to identify which parts of the screen the game players are focusing on during the game play. The drivers, pardon the pun as research has been done on car-based games such as Grand Theft Auto, are to reduce expense on unnecessary development e.g. enhanced graphics for trees at roadside, sidewalks etc and increase revenue by targeted product placement within the game screen, including on a cost per confirmed glance basis. I would expect that this is also being reviewed by gender too - me: 'oh look, pretty tree, crashed damn' vs. 'tree blob, who cares'.

I am surprised that both genders viewed women as objects in the image research, having subscribed - no sorry occasionally been aware of but ignored - the urban myth that men automatically focus on certain areas of women's bodies and vice versa - I have witnessed it :shock: .

However the research does suggest this may be the case, with men looking for a suitable mate and women sizing up the competition. So guys can't help it after all? :lol: But, strangely enough, it does not apply with images of men. Perhaps men send out more of a sense of strength, being the hunter, the provider so are seen as a whole?
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

Lynn wrote:Research has been done in the computer games industry to identify which parts of the screen the game players are focusing on during the game play. The drivers, pardon the pun as research has been done on car-based games such as Grand Theft Auto, are to reduce expense on unnecessary development e.g. enhanced graphics for trees at roadside, sidewalks etc and increase revenue by targeted product placement within the game screen, including on a cost per confirmed glance basis. I would expect that this is also being reviewed by gender too - me: 'oh look, pretty tree, crashed damn' vs. 'tree blob, who cares'.

I am surprised that both genders viewed women as objects in the image research, having subscribed - no sorry occasionally been aware of but ignored - the urban myth that men automatically focus on certain areas of women's bodies and vice versa - I have witnessed it :shock: .

However the research does suggest this may be the case, with men looking for a suitable mate and women sizing up the competition. So guys can't help it after all? :lol: But, strangely enough, it does not apply with images of men. Perhaps men send out more of a sense of strength, being the hunter, the provider so are seen as a whole?
Well, I guess the good news then is that I now have a scientific excuse for my lustful behavior.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

ForgedinHell wrote:Well, I guess the good news then is that I now have a scientific excuse for my lustful behavior.
Exactly! Most guys I know have always said it was just automatic and they had no control over it - but they still seemed to be a bit selective with which women got the longest glances :wink: .
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

Lynn wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:Well, I guess the good news then is that I now have a scientific excuse for my lustful behavior.
Exactly! Most guys I know have always said it was just automatic and they had no control over it - but they still seemed to be a bit selective with which women got the longest glances :wink: .
I am willing to bet though, at least with respect to highly-intelligent, charming men such as me, the study would show a different response over time -- after getting to know the person. I don't care how physically attractive a woman is if she is stupid, vulgar, or a narcissistic personality, she is a complete turn off. On the other hand, a woman with a sense of humor, intellect, and a charming personality, is incredibly attractive, even if physically she would never win a beauty contest.
Veritas Aequitas

ForgedinHell wrote:
Lynn wrote:
I am willing to bet though, at least with respect to highly-intelligent, charming men such as me, the study would show a different response over time -- after getting to know the person. I don't care how physically attractive a woman is if she is stupid, vulgar, or a narcissistic personality, she is a complete turn off. On the other hand, a woman with a sense of humor, intellect, and a charming personality, is incredibly attractive, even if physically she would never win a beauty contest.
You may think so.

I am willing to bet, when a sexy woman is within your visual perspective, your eyes will be darting to certain specific parts and you are not even conscious of it.

Having the above knowledge and putting it to effective use is wisdom in action, i.e. philosophical. For example, a woman will understand such inherent instincts and learn to tolerate their man's regular diversive attention to cleavages, instead of flaring into jealousy that are likely to bring disharmonies and related psychological (even physical) sufferings.
Veritas Aequitas

Lynn wrote:
There is this recent complain that 'nude can be rude'. This is especially so when the man realized subsequently the woman is 50 years old, e.g. Madonna recent regular exposures.

However the above findings seem to contradict what advertizers and product makers did and were successful in using somewhat phallic-shaped bottle for shampoos and other perfumeries.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Veritas Aequitas wrote:There is this recent complain that 'nude can be rude'. This is especially so when the man realized subsequently the woman is 50 years old, e.g. Madonna recent regular exposures.
Reminds me of, well me (not a pretty sight), and also the Budweiser Spanish Beach advert :lol: , http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_ur ... ll14&gl=GB .
Veritas Aequitas wrote:However the above findings seem to contradict what advertizers and product makers did and were successful in using somewhat phallic-shaped bottle for shampoos and other perfumeries.
I've never really noticed this.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Veritas Aequitas wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:I am willing to bet though, at least with respect to highly-intelligent, charming men such as me, the study would show a different response over time -- after getting to know the person. I don't care how physically attractive a woman is if she is stupid, vulgar, or a narcissistic personality, she is a complete turn off. On the other hand, a woman with a sense of humor, intellect, and a charming personality, is incredibly attractive, even if physically she would never win a beauty contest.
You may think so.

I am willing to bet, when a sexy woman is within your visual perspective, your eyes will be darting to certain specific parts and you are not even conscious of it.

Having the above knowledge and putting it to effective use is wisdom in action, i.e. philosophical. For example, a woman will understand such inherent instincts and learn to tolerate their man's regular diversive attention to cleavages, instead of flaring into jealousy that are likely to bring disharmonies and related psychological (even physical) sufferings.
Usually! And thanks to bringing hope to the ladies like I who have worked to nuture their charming personality to make up for their lack of instant sex appeal :wink: .
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

Lynn wrote:
Veritas Aequitas wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:I am willing to bet though, at least with respect to highly-intelligent, charming men such as me, the study would show a different response over time -- after getting to know the person. I don't care how physically attractive a woman is if she is stupid, vulgar, or a narcissistic personality, she is a complete turn off. On the other hand, a woman with a sense of humor, intellect, and a charming personality, is incredibly attractive, even if physically she would never win a beauty contest.
You may think so.

Usually! And thanks to bringing hope to the ladies like I who have worked to nuture their charming personality to make up for their lack of instant sex appeal :wink: .
I have met women who use their personalities as birth-control devices, but you don't seem to be one of them.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

ForgedinHell wrote:I have met women who use their personalities as birth-control devices, but you don't seem to be one of them
Thanks but I can be as prickily as the next women when the mood takes me, as my better half and guy friends could testify - but they probably never would because they fall into that highly-intelligent, charming, and forgiving category :) .
Veritas Aequitas

Lynn wrote:
Veritas Aequitas wrote:There is this recent complain that 'nude can be rude'. This is especially so when the man realized subsequently the woman is 50 years old, e.g. Madonna recent regular exposures.
Reminds me of, well me (not a pretty sight), and also the Budweiser Spanish Beach advert :lol: , http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_ur ... ll14&gl=GB .
:lol: :)
Veritas Aequitas wrote:However the above findings seem to contradict what advertizers and product makers did and were successful in using somewhat phallic-shaped bottle for shampoos and other perfumeries.
I've never really noticed this.
If you google, "image shampoo bottle", you see a lot of bottles like this,

It could be, the sales turnover for bottles of such 'shape' is higher than squared-bottle.
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Veritas Aequitas wrote:If you google, "image shampoo bottle", you see a lot of bottles like this,

It could be, the sales turnover for bottles of such 'shape' is higher than squared-bottle.
Almost any comment I could think of in response is open to double entendre :oops:.
For example "I would have thought the shape is easier to handle as it fits nicely into the curve of the hand, rather than awkward square shapes".

Look what I found in my shower d'oh! The first two are for men, the second two for women. I now can't look at the black contoured 'grab' bottle without shuddering..in horror! :oops: ! at scheming ingenuity of marketing departments. The square bottle is French - maybe the French don't need subliminal reminders of sex?
IMAG0813-1 (1).jpg
IMAG0813-1 (1).jpg (3.37 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
Perhaps marketing departments knew all along that men bodies were viewed globally and decided to even up the playing field by flooding the marketplace and achieved commercial success by objectifying both men's and women's assets.

It is said that necessity is the mother of invention but surely making a quick buck runs a close second, if not overtakes it :lol: !
Satyr

Post by Satyr »

The only difference, when it comes to sex, between male and female consideration is the time-scale.

With males the time-scape is less broad, given that they rely on quantity of fertilization to deal with eh uncertainty of existence.
ironically, this is accompanied or made more effective, when the male mind takes far more long-term considerations, so as to take into account female intuitive demands and the far-reaching probabilities of the male's activities.

With females the considerations are immediately more broad, given their own gestation and weening sacrifices and risks, but ironically more shallow as they rely on intuitive reactions and instinctive, short-term, immediate gratification considerations.

Males adjust their more broad event-horizon to developing circumstances; females adapt their broad, long-term event-horizons, to short term developing considerations.
For male's females are a destiny...a means to a greater end, yet their immediate judgments are based on immediate pragmatic considerations...given that the apparent is a manifestation of the sum of all previous nurturing.
They rely on quantity in the hopes that quality will arise.
This is gambler's mentality.

For female's males are a way of making the immediate and pragmatic more tolerable and more valuable.
For females males are a reason to endure and to sacrifice. They need not know why or how, for this would shatter the intuitive delusion, but the male's immediate impression is invaluable and decisive.
She relies on quality, because quantity is easily accessible to her.
This is a more conservative mentality...also considered more pragmatic and realistic.

Man explores possibilities; woman settles for probabilities.