Obesity and Gender

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: Obesity and Gender

Post by Skip »

simplicity wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:01 pm If it truly was the case the capitalism has been the cause of all the world's ills,
I didn't say that. I said it was largely responsible - in an entirely non-sexist fashion, since the marketing is aimed at all demographics - for the epidemic of obesity in the United States, Canada, the UK, and to a lesser degree in other western nations.
don't you think everybody would have figured this out by now?
Everyone - whoever that is - doesn't figure things out. All the intelligent people have known for a long time.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Skip wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:19 am All the intelligent people have known for a long time.
Thank you for exposing the limits of intelligence.

Intelligent people are a dime a dozen, but those who truly understand its limitations are rare indeed.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"If it truly was the case the capitalism has been the cause of all the world's ills, don't you think everybody would have figured this out by now?"

The answer to this question is decisively 'NO'. Examine the historical trends of what people believed was normal and/or necessary, and for how long. Kings and queens ruled for thousands of years, and people raised not the slightest objection against this... today people find that concept absurd (except for england, but they can't help it).

Now we know today that those monarchies can be held accountable for all kinds of social, economic and political conflicts that weren't the least bit necessary.

I'm the same way, people of the future - if a sustainable alternative to capitalism comes to fruition - will say of us the same thing we say of the people of 800 A.D.

Enlightenment, though, is an action packed process in our turbulent modern world. There is just as much systematic brainwashing and indoctrination being produced by conservative ideologues as there is accessible information about the truths of Marxism. It's an info-war unlike any other in history.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

promethean75 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:58 am "If it truly was the case the capitalism has been the cause of all the world's ills, don't you think everybody would have figured this out by now?"

The answer to this question is decisively 'NO'. Examine the historical trends of what people believed was normal and/or necessary, and for how long. Kings and queens ruled for thousands of years, and people raised not the slightest objection against this... today people find that concept absurd (except for england, but they can't help it).

Now we know today that those monarchies can be held accountable for all kinds of social, economic and political conflicts that weren't the least bit necessary.

I'm the same way, people of the future - if a sustainable alternative to capitalism comes to fruition - will say of us the same thing we say of the people of 800 A.D.

Enlightenment, though, is an action packed process in our turbulent modern world. There is just as much systematic brainwashing and indoctrination being produced by conservative ideologues as there is accessible information about the truths of Marxism. It's an info-war unlike any other in history.
Comparing an economic system to a political one is apples/oranges. Although capitalism has its issues [as do all things], it has been responsible for vastly raising the standard of living of an incredibly high percentage of humanity. The problem is not capitalism, it is human corruption.

When it is time for a new economic system, it will no doubt be even more efficient -BUT- it will still be subject to the same forces of depravity that are currently having their way with all modern institutions. The enemy is the evil that resides in mankind's soul, always has been, always will be.

Instead of complaining about the wind, put up your sails and see how much good you can do in the world.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Comparing an economic system to a political one is apples/oranges."

In theory one might think that, but practice shows otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_and_superstructure

The government ends up becoming a suitor to the ruling class... but in capitalism's case, it must also maintain the charade of representation for the lower, exploited class. Hence the bi-partisan structure of the U.S. government. The social democrat party - the left - panders to the working classes, but does nothing to fundamentally change the economy and champions the free market just like the right. To do otherwise - to espouse a genuine Marxist revolution - would put them out of business along with the right. So politicians become the game show hosts of capitalism. One side (the right) openly endorses it but covertly complains about it's effects (wokeism, BLM, unions, women's rights, etc)... the other side (the left) openly complains about its effects but covertly endorses it.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

promethean75 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:28 pm "Comparing an economic system to a political one is apples/oranges."

In theory one might think that, but practice shows otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_and_superstructure

The government ends up becoming a suitor to the ruling class... but in capitalism's case, it must also maintain the charade of representation for the lower, exploited class. Hence the bi-partisan structure of the U.S. government. The social democrat party - the left - panders to the working classes, but does nothing to fundamentally change the economy and champions the free market just like the right. To do otherwise - to espouse a genuine Marxist revolution - would put them out of business along with the right. So politicians become the game show hosts of capitalism. One side (the right) openly endorses it but covertly complains about it's effects (wokeism, BLM, unions, women's rights, etc)... the other side (the left) openly complains about its effects but covertly endorses it.
Even when it comes to eating, people have all kinds of excuses why individuals should have something external to blame for their inability to control this behavior. Even for those who are unable [through normal methods,, rational thought] to control such, there is help.
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

Is the "Gender Philosophy" section just a big airhorn for misogynists and incels?

I'm new to this forum, and in the short time I've been here, all I'm seeing is "women cause all the world's problems" and "what if we enslaved 90% of men, that seems to be what women want?"

This is beyond ludicrous.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Astro Cat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 am Is the "Gender Philosophy" section just a big airhorn for misogynists and incels?
Nope, it isn't, but misogynists do have particularly loud voices wherever they go.

You'll find some thoughtful souls here though, who may sound gruff but respond well to reasoned discussion.

I hope one day we'll again have some actual threads on feminist philosophy here. Meanwhile, just for contrast, here is Mary Daly:

https://philosophynow.org/issues/33/Mary_Daly
https://philosophynow.org/issues/77/Mar ... Philosophy
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:22 pm It is no secret that women seem to take a particular fancy to eating. Many might consider such bordering on the obsessive [after all, if there were only men in the world, how many restaurants, pastry, candy, and coffee shops would there be? ].
You never waste time in making a complete arse of yourself.
Fact is that men are more likely to be obese than women.
Prevalence by gender
Overall, 67% of men and 62% of women were classed as overweight or obese. Being overweight but not obese was more common among men than women. However, obesity (including morbid obesity) was more common in women than men.8 May 2019
https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-informa ... than%20men.

But this varies from country to country , and different countries tend to impose higher standards on women than on men.
And there are metabolic and social reasons why women find it easier to put on weight and harder to lose it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:22 pm
I don't really have anything against eating but there does seem to be an obesity epidemic raging [I'll speak for the U.S.] that really got going when women began to take control of many matters.
That is funny.
Men are still running the bogus dietary advice, whilst many women are in the vanguard to show how bad it is.

Nina Teicholz "The Big Fat Surprise"
Amy Berger "The Stall Slayer: Seven Roadblocks to Keto Fat Loss and What to Do About Them", and "Alzeimer's Antidote"
Amber O'Hearn. https://facultativecarnivore.com

It's time to grow-up folks and start acting like responsible adults.
You need to post threads on subjects you might know something about! :lol: :lol:
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

RickLewis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:58 pm
Astro Cat wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:01 am Is the "Gender Philosophy" section just a big airhorn for misogynists and incels?
Nope, it isn't, but misogynists do have particularly loud voices wherever they go.

You'll find some thoughtful souls here though, who may sound gruff but respond well to reasoned discussion.

I hope one day we'll again have some actual threads on feminist philosophy here. Meanwhile, just for contrast, here is Mary Daly:

https://philosophynow.org/issues/33/Mary_Daly
https://philosophynow.org/issues/77/Mar ... Philosophy
I'm glad to hear. Maybe I will start some threads.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

I'm new to this forum, and in the short time I've been here, all I'm seeing is "women cause all the world's problems" and "what if we enslaved 90% of men, that seems to be what women want?"

To wrap up pride month, celebrate by revisiting one of the epic tranny-bashing htreads launched by the immaculate incel himself.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27742&p=430841
Astro Cat

Post by Astro Cat »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 am

To wrap up pride month, celebrate by revisiting one of the epic tranny-bashing htreads launched by the immaculate incel himself.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27742&p=430841
Well, I responded to the OP at least :P (I haven't gone through to read whatever train wreck probably exists in there yet)
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

simplicity wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:22 pm It is no secret that women seem to take a particular fancy to eating. Many might consider such bordering on the obsessive [after all, if there were only men in the world, how many restaurants, pastry, candy, and coffee shops would there be? ].

I don't really have anything against eating but there does seem to be an obesity epidemic raging [I'll speak for the U.S.] that really got going when women began to take control of many matters. And although causation and correlation can have little to do with each other, it seems a bit odd that the number one external thing women seem to obsess on [food] just happens to be a national health calamity.

Not that there is a paucity of peer-reviewed studies in the medical literature, I will add my own anecdotal tidbit by relating my trip to Costco yesterday [where they open an hour early for those over 60 years of age...perhaps the only blessings to come out of the COVID fiasco] and noted that I was literally the only patron there who was at his/her appropriate weight [out of perhaps 150 folks]. Amazing.

If women really want to make a serious difference in U.S. society, how about getting the food thing under control? Not only is adult obesity an enormous problem, but now you see it quite commonly in children, as well. This is inexcusable. If you can't eat properly, what the hell can you do?

This is not to say that men do not suffer from over-eating, as well, but women have more hands in the kitchen and make the lion's share of decisions that affect their family's diet. Isn't it time to manifest a little control and deal with this problem [instead of being worried about which pronoun to use or the other crazy things people believe are urgent problems]?

It's time to grow-up folks and start acting like responsible adults.
America is the most obese nation on Earth, the UK is not too far behind, and the reason is fast cheap food. It's true that women are more partial to the sweeter, more fattening temptations, but I'm not sure there's that much in it. However, mothers, particularly single mothers, are often of such a social economic group that the only foods they can afford, for both themselves and their children, are the fast cheap kind. Overall though, in order to understand what's going on you have to look at how food is produced. Farm animals, for example, are bred to be as full of fat as possible, and in order to achieve this they're given bovine growth hormones, steroids, antibiotics and a host of other chemicals, making the food not only very unhealthy but also highly addictive. In which case, the idea for many obese people to grow up and start acting like adults, may be a lot easier said than done.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Sometimes I doubt if the statistics can be correct. I don´t see all these heavy people in the street or on TV.

And among the aged there are large numbers of very slim and fragile people. They don´t absorb food properly any more and die of malnutrition.