Obesity and Gender

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

Obesity and Gender

Post by simplicity »

It is no secret that women seem to take a particular fancy to eating. Many might consider such bordering on the obsessive [after all, if there were only men in the world, how many restaurants, pastry, candy, and coffee shops would there be? ].

I don't really have anything against eating but there does seem to be an obesity epidemic raging [I'll speak for the U.S.] that really got going when women began to take control of many matters. And although causation and correlation can have little to do with each other, it seems a bit odd that the number one external thing women seem to obsess on [food] just happens to be a national health calamity.

Not that there is a paucity of peer-reviewed studies in the medical literature, I will add my own anecdotal tidbit by relating my trip to Costco yesterday [where they open an hour early for those over 60 years of age...perhaps the only blessings to come out of the COVID fiasco] and noted that I was literally the only patron there who was at his/her appropriate weight [out of perhaps 150 folks]. Amazing.

If women really want to make a serious difference in U.S. society, how about getting the food thing under control? Not only is adult obesity an enormous problem, but now you see it quite commonly in children, as well. This is inexcusable. If you can't eat properly, what the hell can you do?

This is not to say that men do not suffer from over-eating, as well, but women have more hands in the kitchen and make the lion's share of decisions that affect their family's diet. Isn't it time to manifest a little control and deal with this problem [instead of being worried about which pronoun to use or the other crazy things people believe are urgent problems]?

It's time to grow-up folks and start acting like responsible adults.
promethean75

Re: Obesity and Gender

Post by promethean75 »

If modern men weren't such jokes, all the women wouldn't be on the couch every night in their jammies watching Friends and eating a whole gallon of ice cream.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:52 pm If modern men weren't such jokes, all the women wouldn't be on the couch every night in their jammies watching Friends and eating a whole gallon of ice cream.
Right, because all women live like American sit-com caricatures. I don't even like icecream, or pyjamas.
Skip

Post by Skip »

simplicity wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:22 pm It is no secret that women seem to take a particular fancy to eating. Many might consider such bordering on the obsessive [after all, if there were only men in the world, how many restaurants, pastry, candy, and coffee shops would there be?

Not so many. The men would buy bacon in bulk, shove it on the barbeque, eat it standing up at the grill, wash it down with a gallon of beer and have two large bags of potato chips and a box of Oreos for dessert while sprawled in front of a football game.

Anyone can do sexist stereotypes.

None of this has to do with the obesity epidemic, which includes men, women and children.
If you were interested in the causes, you could find plenty of medical literature; there is, in point of fact, no paucity.
https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?q=med ... i=scholart
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Skip wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:08 amAnyone can do sexist stereotypes.
You have been around women?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

simplicity wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:19 am
Of course he has. What's your point?
Skip

Post by Skip »

I have been around, related to, acquainted with, friends with, worked with, shared food with a large number of people, male, female, young, old and middle-aged. Like they sing on Sesame Street - everybody, everybody eats.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:38 am
Of course he has. What's your point?
Perhaps if he has spent time around women, he would understand their relationship with food.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Skip wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:50 am
I have been around, related to, acquainted with, friends with, worked with, shared food with a large number of people, male, female, young, old and middle-aged. Like they sing on Sesame Street - everybody, everybody eats.
There is no question that everybody eats. Thank you for clearing-up that mystery.

There is a monumental public health problem in the U.S. and spreading throughout the rest of the world. That's what this is about.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

If - I say if - there was some predisposition in women to eat more, I would wager that this has something to do with an instinct to store calories in preparation for pregnancy.

If one of you could go ahead and google that, that would be great.
Skip

Post by Skip »

simplicity wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:34 pm There is no question that everybody eats. Thank you for clearing-up that mystery.

There is a monumental public health problem in the U.S. and spreading throughout the rest of the world. That's what this is about.
Indeed. Because everybody eats, and because the US is a monumentally capitalistic culture, the sale of food plays a monumental role in the health and welfare of the nations. Whatever is convenient, cheap to produce and palatable to the most primitive of appetites will appeal to the lowest common denominator of human cravings. That product is heavy on salt, sugar, trans fats and starch. Invest enough in advertising to create a demand and you will sell enough product to kill off an entire nation..... eventually, after making everyone fat.
It's nothing whatever to do sex: it's all about money.
Skip

Post by Skip »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:37 pm If - I say if - there was some predisposition in women to eat more, I would wager that this has something to do with an instinct to store calories in preparation for pregnancy.
If - I say IF American women were inclined to eat more than American men, I'd wager it's because they more unhappy. Even more unhappy.
Walker

Post by Walker »

simplicity wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:34 pm
Skip wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:50 am
There is no question that everybody eats. Thank you for clearing-up that mystery.

“Man does not live by bread alone,” is cause for eating ruminations …

Because eating sustains life, does gluttony sustain too much life, or is gluttony just another expression of mans' natural tendency to push the limits of form and design.

Eating sustains the form. Too much eating stresses the form, to the disadvantage of the form’s natural functioning.

In addition to too much eating, inappropriate food stresses the natural chemical processes that release, distribute, and store energy. What is not too much eating? Surprisingly little, even when eating ruminations ...

The body can sustain quite awhile on surprisingly little, and although too much of too little also disadvantages natural functioning, that occurs in increasingly rare situations, statistically speaking, although real individual hunger is an all-consuming drive to live.

The bears knew, and they tried to tell Goldilocks about the middle way, about making things just right, but because of her fear of bears instilled by tales, she couldn't take the truth, which forced her into a life of defenestration, as a defenestratee. :|
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Skip wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:36 am
simplicity wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:34 pm There is no question that everybody eats. Thank you for clearing-up that mystery.

Indeed. Because everybody eats, and because the US is a monumentally capitalistic culture, the sale of food plays a monumental role in the health and welfare of the nations. Whatever is convenient, cheap to produce and palatable to the most primitive of appetites will appeal to the lowest common denominator of human cravings. That product is heavy on salt, sugar, trans fats and starch. Invest enough in advertising to create a demand and you will sell enough product to kill off an entire nation..... eventually, after making everyone fat.
It's nothing whatever to do sex: it's all about money.
If your narrative begins with, "it's all about...," it's time for a more inclusive narrative.

If it truly was the case the capitalism has been the cause of all the world's ills, don't you think everybody would have figured this out by now?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Walker wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:34 amIn addition to too much eating, inappropriate food stresses the natural chemical processes that release, distribute, and store energy. What is not too much eating? Surprisingly little, even when eating ruminations ...
"Live in balance," the lesson that has been passed down by the greatest that have plod the Earth over the millennia, seems to be 99% of what we need to understand about maintaining health [inside and out].