Since Women Were "Liberated"

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Since Women Were "Liberated"

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:48 pm You are mistaken about "Darwin's theory". Natural selection owes nothing to final cause.
I never said any such thing. Explain.
Better can't be defined without a criterion.

That is correct. There is nothing that, in a Materialist world, makes a human being "higher" than a paramecium or a speck of dirt. He might be more complex, but complex is not "better." He might be more adaptive (or not, depending) but adaptiveness is not "better." He might be more conscious, but conscious is not "better." Nothing is "better" in such a universe. Things are only "different," and in no way that implies "better."

So the concept of Evolution does not mark a privileged process. And to say that a culture or technology is "more evolved," is plausibly to say it's only more confused, complex, in decline, and closer to self-destruction.

So that kind of kills your point about culture.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:10 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:48 pm You are mistaken about "Darwin's theory". Natural selection owes nothing to final cause.
I never said any such thing. Explain.
Better can't be defined without a criterion.

That is correct. There is nothing that, in a Materialist world, makes a human being "higher" than a paramecium or a speck of dirt. He might be more complex, but complex is not "better." He might be more adaptive (or not, depending) but adaptiveness is not "better." He might be more conscious, but conscious is not "better." Nothing is "better" in such a universe. Things are only "different," and in no way that implies "better."

So the concept of Evolution does not mark a privileged process. And to say that a culture or technology is "more evolved," is plausibly to say it's only more confused, complex, in decline, and closer to self-destruction.

So that kind of kills your point about culture.
IC wrote:
Belinda wrote: ↑Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:56 pm
Evolution means change over time;
No it doesn't...It means "unguided change for the better over time." It means improvement upwards. The other word is "devolution."
^ will explain that you attribute final cause to "Darwin's theory". There may be an end of time but that does not imply that end of time is good or bad, or anything other than finality.

IC wrote:
There is nothing that, in a Materialist world, makes a human being "higher" than a paramecium or a speck of dirt
But in an idealist(immaterialist) world the human being is radically different in kind from a speck of dust, as the human being looks to his future, whereas the speck of dust is nothing but its past.

IC wrote:
Neither biological nor cultural change is more 'privileged' one more than another. Men and other animals and plants are closer to the absolute(or God) because men, other animals and plants mean to live on into their futures; and of those three, only men actually can abstract the idea of past and future. It also so happens that cultural change is faster than natural biological change.

I don't invalidate the truth, beauty, and goodness inherent also in specks of dust, because individual world views, like the absolute world view needs specks of dust.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:40 pm
IC wrote:
Belinda wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:40 pmEvolution means change over time;
No it doesn't...It means "unguided change for the better over time." It means improvement upwards. The other word is "devolution."
^ will explain that you attribute final cause to "Darwin's theory".
Incorrect.

I simply pointed out that "evolution" is the opposite of "devolution": and both imply direction: one "upward" or "forward," the other "backward," "down" or "in decline." "Final cause" never entered my language anywhere.
I don't invalidate the truth, beauty, and goodness inherent also in specks of dust, because individual world views, like the absolute world view needs specks of dust.
Well, you should invalidate "truth, beauty and goodness in specks of dust," because there are, according to Materialism, no criteria for the same. They are mere delusions of contingently "evolved" beasts.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanujel Can wrote:
Well, you should invalidate "truth, beauty and goodness in specks of dust," because there are, according to Materialism, no criteria for the same. They are mere delusions of contingently "evolved" beasts

The proper place for ontological materialism is unreflecting common sense, or scientific heuristics.

The tragedy of ontological materialists is their ontological stance devalues the beauty and truth of nature which includes mountains of rock and specks of dust.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:04 pm The tragedy of ontological materialists is their ontological stance devalues the beauty and truth of nature which includes mountains of rock and specks of dust.
That is very true.

However, ontological materialism has no place for categories such as "beauty," which must, after all, according to its account, be nothing more than an odd epiphenomenon in the brain of an evolving beast. It can have no reality, and a person cannot "owe" nature any reverence or appreciation.

Sad, but some people think they want to live with such a worldview. Usually, they find they cannot, and inadvertently "cheat back" to believing in beauty anyway.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:16 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:04 pm The tragedy of ontological materialists is their ontological stance devalues the beauty and truth of nature which includes mountains of rock and specks of dust.
That is very true.

However, ontological materialism has no place for categories such as "beauty," which must, after all, according to its account, be nothing more than an odd epiphenomenon in the brain of an evolving beast. It can have no reality, and a person cannot "owe" nature any reverence or appreciation.

Sad, but some people think they want to live with such a worldview. Usually, they find they cannot, and inadvertently "cheat back" to believing in beauty anyway.
Owed to oneself at least: revere beauty.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:14 pm Owed to oneself at least: revere beauty.
Well, under Materialism, "I," "myself" am no more than a contingent beast. It's not clear I can "owe" myself anything at all...least of all something as vague as "revering" or even detecting "beauty."
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:32 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:14 pm Owed to oneself at least: revere beauty.
Well, under Materialism, "I," "myself" am no more than a contingent beast. It's not clear I can "owe" myself anything at all...least of all something as vague as "revering" or even detecting "beauty."
I gather you don't take a materialist view of existence. Neither do I. Has that anything to do with women's liberation?

Materialism is useful for science, but not for aesthetics or ethics.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:23 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:32 pm
I gather you don't take a materialist view of existence. Neither do I. Has that anything to do with women's liberation?
Well, that was a direction you took the inquiry, rather than me. But yes, it does.

If Materialism is true, the women don't "deserve" liberation...either morally or practically. So I can well imagine you'd have your own reasons for rejecting it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:31 pm
IC wrote:

Incorrect.

I simply pointed out that "evolution" is the opposite of "devolution": and both imply direction: one "upward" or "forward," the other "backward," "down" or "in decline." "Final cause" never entered my language anywhere.
Well, you should invalidate "truth, beauty and goodness in specks of dust," because there are, according to Materialism, no criteria for the same. They are mere delusions of contingently "evolved" beasts.
One is science, the other is subjective opinion.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:59 pm
Incorrect.

"Truth, goodness and beauty" are opinion, but Materialism is "science"?

Except it's not. Materialism is a gratutitious ontological belief, not "science." Science neither supports it, nor is dependent upon it. Rather, Materialism is a kind of hope, wish or choice-to-believe that some people make...in other words, an "opinion."
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:08 am
Incorrect.

Except it's not. Materialism is a gratutitious ontological belief, not "science." Science neither supports it, nor is dependent upon it. Rather, Materialism is a kind of hope, wish or choice-to-believe that some people make...in other words, an "opinion."
I was talking about evolution and your so-called 'devolution'. Never mind.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:30 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:08 am

I was talking about evolution and your so-called 'devolution'. Never mind.
Immanuel Can, evolution means change qua change. It does not mean change towards a given end. Devolution implies change away from a given end.

If there is a Given End of history we don't and can't know about it.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:38 pm Immanuel Can, evolution means change qua change. It does not mean change towards a given end.
You're mistaking evolutionary "advance" for teleological "advance."

Evolution has no "end" in view. But it still supposed to be an advancing process. "Lower" life forms are supposed to give way to "higher" ones. "Less adaptive" forms are eliminated in favour of "more adaptive" ones. Living on is supposed to be an advance over dying out. And life forms are supposed to get more sophisticated as time proceeds.

Take a look at the vaunted (and ridiculous) monkey-to-man chart: do you suppose it's illustrating that Cro-Magnons or Peking Man is "more evolved" than Neanderthal or Modern Man? Of course not. The implication is of increasing improvement.

I suppose the idiot who invented the chart could imagine an "end." I guess it would be, "We all rise from primordial ooze to modern hominids, then to Star Trekkian space-hoppers, and thence to godhood." And maybe that metanarrative is tacitly buried in Evolutionary aspirations. It certainly is, in Star Trek. But you and I can agree that's stupid. No such teleological "end" is likely, even given Evolutionism.

In any case, we can forget completely about the biology and the associated argument: for in this case "evolving" is only being used by you as an analogy anyway. For I presume that when you say that technology or culture "evolves," you are not saying, "It changes, but only neutrally," far less "It changes for the worse." That doesn't even make sense for your argument.
If there is a Given End of history we don't and can't know about it.
Well, we could if God told us what it was. But again, this has nothing to do with your "evolution of culture" argument.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 am
Belinda wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:04 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:36 pm
Nobody's talking about "glorification." We're just noting that the basic unit of civilization is a family unit with two parents of opposite sex. And that's just a simple fact:it's not even possible to reproduce any other way. It's a biological reality.

This is true, of course...at least in some cases: but the extended family and the tribe simply express an expanded view of the nuclear family. It's not its opposite. Nuclear families happen within the group or tribal structure. And in point of fact, the nuclear family was also reshaped by the removal, first, of the males from agrarian and home industry situations to work outside the home, and later of the removal to the workplace of the women as well.

None of this has been remotely good for children, of course.
Your biological claim is nonsense.
Nope. It's just obvious and certain.

To have a child, you need one parent of one sex, and one of another. And no other arrangment is even capable. One egg, one sperm. End of story.
Hmmmm, oh yes, ....like how Dalmer's parents were. Oh wait, that ended badly.

Okay, the kids who shot up Columbine? No, ....they too had good Christian parents.

Your stance implies that the faults of social disorder comes specifically from something 'non-traditional'. Everything that happens today can be defined by you as 'non-traditional' if it is a derogatory coinciding factor and one that you just don't like. Like, for instance, would you define all those violators in the Capital Hill incident of Jan 6th last year as having something 'wrong' with them even though they represent those who support your same favor for 'nuclear family' ideals.

"Marriage" originally was a public formal announcement that 'legitimized' one's offspring with the specific concern of making laws regarding INHERITANCE issues including liability (where one COULD inherit debt.

The need at all for keeping "marriage" in legal contexts are to allow society know formally who is responsible for offspring BUT include the formal union of couples in any contractual obligations, not just criminal liability. But the reason for the right-wing stance for 'family' is to contrast ANYTHING in law that is NOT RELIGIOUSLY defined.

I already mentioned how this actually proves how and why only the Right-wing ideals foster "supremacists" of the fascist form: the 'nuclear family' argument is meant only to ENHANCE those who believe in restricting favor to one's own with arrrogant neglect of all others.

Personally, I would remove the term "marriage" itself and replace it ONLY with "unions" and any more specified subclassification where it deals with more specific concerns. So, "unions with children" for instance might be better to clarify the justification for legal contractual obligations of parents or other guardians over children. But the fact that this obvious solution should have been proposed but hasn't is ONLY due to religious people's beliefs in keeping the term, "marriage" in law rather than "union" which for some removes the 'legitimacy' of them.

But the key issue regarding "family" as a que for Rightwing issues is just meaning that you do not like governments serving social service concerns like welfare or healthcare and WANT to encourage the masses to be DUMB to the effectiveness of abuses against them where they have no means to defend themselves. The capitalistic ideal is to have a "right to LIE" because the most opportunistic means to con someone is to deceive them in order to take more than you give in trades. UNFAIR trading could not be effectively defended against in pro-rightwing ideals and favors EXPLOITATION especially when you also simultaneosly POSIT law that go against non-wealthy-people based collectives. You certainly don't propose laws that defeat collectives that are based upon irrational beliefs like religion even though this factor most significantly represents why one would believe in Supremacist type thinking.

EVERYONE recognizes that 'family' is STRONGER most specifically if there are two (or more) guardians [including any other members that contribute to raising others, like siblings, aunts, uncles, or grandparents.] The biggest reason for family breakdowns are the LACK of common wealth supports that are primarily based first and foremost on one's ECONOMIC background. This does NOT mean that the child requires to be IN POWER of this 'wealth' but that the parents and other 'family' supports that contribute to making one well adjusted contribute. They are ALL monetarily related. Even the demeanor of a parent who is not stressed about whether they can eat is monetary related.

"Family" values regarding 'family' welfare coincides with "wealth" alone. Those who have family issues are not ABLE to demand that they HAVE good families. It is 'inherited' in some way. As such, if you sincerely wanted to help the 'nuclear family' (with most specificity), we need a system that assures parents are able to not be affected BY ecomomic imbalances due to inherent factors. This cannot be done where no social services exist to help one BE 'socially' equivalent in value. This is an "infrastructure" issue just as much as a bridge or road is. So the ONLY reason for your stance is to DISEMPOWER anyone from EXPOSING fraud and deception where it EMPOWERS the exploiting opportunism that defines how one 'capitalizes' over another.