Gender Philosophy?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

Gender Philosophy?

Post by simplicity »

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by "gender philosophy?"
Sculptor

Re: Gender Philosophy?

Post by Sculptor »

Ideas and arguments that inform, and are raised by, questions of gender and sexuality, maybe?

Have you ever thought of reading a book?

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/gender-ke ... 826471697/
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:09 am Ideas and arguments that inform, and are raised by, questions of gender and sexuality, maybe?

I don't think so.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:45 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:09 am Ideas and arguments that inform, and are raised by, questions of gender and sexuality, maybe?

I don't think so.
Okay I'll ask another question.
Have you ever thought of learning to read?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:53 pm

I don't think so.
I was questioning how gender could be a philosophy and your response did nothing to answer this for me. This is not a subject that I would want to be doing research on. Just curious what others thought.

And if I sound out the letters slowly, I can read ok.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:09 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:53 pm

I don't think so.
I was questioning how gender could be a philosophy and your response did nothing to answer this for me. This is not a subject that I would want to be doing research on. Just curious what others thought.

And if I sound out the letters slowly, I can read ok.
FFS.
You ask a question then refuse to consider reading about the subject.
That makes you a [redacted].

{Edited by iMod]
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 pm Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by "gender philosophy?"
Apparently, Truth is different depending upon what gender one is, I guess. Not sure. To be honest, it seems to me that it would probably make more sense to just merge it with the political philosophy forum or applied ethics forum. I mean, our environment is going to shit and we don't have a separate forum on it, so what is so absurdly important about a Gender Philosophy forum????
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

I've been puzzled about this myself, philosophy can be done by anyone no matter one's sex, creed, color, or politics. It is a biological extension of the human condition and can be excellent or poorly done. Most people approach it without realizing that it is the way they see themselves being in the world. I suspect that the feminist slant is to contrast with the male, perhaps in some kind of ego battle of the sexes. No? I am all ears to hear a rational explanation.
trokanmariel

Post by trokanmariel »

A definition, of gender philosophy:

Mathematics' copying, of gravitation to body glamour tradition, the man to man independence from women system (system denoting its own attraction to a crossover mathematics), is a system which mustn't be afraid to be a capitalist spirituality, to my visit to the right-wing master at the far right edge of outer space

For Joe McCarthy, of the 1950's Senate hearings
and Joan Collins
Veganman

Post by Veganman »

I think there is a place for gender philosophy. The world and life in general impacts very differently on woman than it does men, and that has always been the case. I therefore think that it's quite logical to assume that women often see the world rather differently. Something that is extended even further when a woman becomes a man and vice versa. The world acts on us according to gender, it's not supposed to these days but nevertheless it still does. Only reasonable then to assume that a philosophical response may differ somewhat.
FrankGSterleJr

Post by FrankGSterleJr »

Alpha males' sexual aggression, in general, could be related to the same constraining societal idealization of the ‘real man’ (albeit perhaps more subtly than in the past): He'd likely be stiff-upper-lip physically and emotionally strong, financially successful, confidently fights and wins, assertively solves problems, and exemplifies sexual prowess.

But maybe society should be careful about what it collectively wishes for. ... Shortly after Donald Trump was sworn-in as president, a 2016 survey of American women conducted not long after his abundant misogyny was exposed to the world revealed that a majority of respondents nonetheless found him appealing, presumably due to his alpha-male great financial success and confidence.

Psychologist/psychotherapist Tom Falkenstein writes in regards to a societally defined ‘crisis in masculinity’ [The Highly Sensitive Man, 2019]. “It is a crisis marked by men’s insecurity about their role in society, their identity, their values, their sexuality, their careers, and their relationships. At the same time, academics are telling us that ‘we know far less about the psychological and physical health of men than of women.’ Why is this? Michael Addis, a professor of psychology and a leading researcher into male identity and psychological health, has highlighted a deficit in our knowledge about men suffering from depression and argues that this has cultural, social, and historical roots.

“If we look at whether gender affects how people experience depression, how they express it, and how it's treated, it quickly becomes clear that gender has for a long time referred to women and not to men. According to Addis, this is because, socially and historically, men have been seen as the dominant group and thus representative of normal psychological health. Women have thus been understood as the nondominant group, which deviated from the norm, and they have been examined and understood from this perspective. One of the countless problems of this approach is that the experiences and specific challenges of the ‘dominant group,’ in this case men, have remained hidden. ...

“You only have to open a magazine or newspaper, turn on your TV, or open your browser to discover an ever-growing interest in stories about being a father, being a man, or how to balance a career with a family. Many of these articles have started talking about an apparent ‘crisis of masculinity.’ The headlines for these articles attempt to address male identity, but often fall into the trap of sounding ironic and sometimes even sarcastic and critical: ‘Men in Crisis: Time to Pull Yourselves Together,’ ‘The Weaker Sex,’ ‘Crisis in Masculinity: Who is the Stronger Sex?’ and ‘Search for Identity: Super-Dads or Vain Peacocks’ are just a few examples.

They all seem to agree to some extent that there is a crisis. But reading these articles one gets the impression that no one really knows how to even start dealing with the problem, let alone what a solution to it might look like. One also gets the impression from these articles that we need to keep any genuine sympathy for these ‘poor men’ in check: the patriarchy is still just too dominant to allow ourselves that luxury.”

Additionally, “numerous psychological studies over the last forty years … tell us that, despite huge social change, the stereotypical image of the 'strong man' is still firmly with us at all ages, in all ethnic groups, and among all socio-economic backgrounds. In the face of problems, men tend not to seek out emotional or professional help from other people. They use, more often than women, alcohol or drugs to numb unpleasant feelings and, in crises, tend to try to deal with things on their own, instead of searching out closeness or help from others.”
Walker

Post by Walker »

simplicity wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 pm Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by "gender philosophy?"
Pride month sees spike in drag queen events for children
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... -children/

The game is called, Rile Up The Rubes.

Hunter Thompson mentioned the game in his book about Hell’s Angels and the stuff they would do for the straight and narrow folks to see, when out on display in public places. Maybe he called it something else, but that was the meaning.

Rile up the rubes. That's also the intent behind gender philosophy.