JK Rowling vs. History

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: JK Rowling vs. History

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:30 pm What is the definition of 'mental illness'?
One good definition is when the person in question firmly believes something that is manifestly untrue, and especially if that delusion is not merely imaginary but also produces suffering, misery and social dysfunction. Then it's pathological and toxic, not merely fanciful.

Thinking you're a woman when you're a man, or thinking you're a man when you're a woman fits that bill perfectly. It's a severing of the grasp on basic reality, with consequent misery, maladjustment and destruction of social function. It means a life of sadness and hopeless fighting against reality.

Take Bruce Jenner. If we are honest, is there one single person in the whole world who actually believes he's a woman? Never mind the nonsense: is there really any doubt he's anything more than a mentally ill man?

Of course not. You know it, I know it, and even those fools who parrot the rot about him "always having been a woman" know it. But unlike you and me, they are willing to sacrifice Bruce on the altar of their pose of "tolerance," so that they can self-worship. None of it has even a modicum to do with truth, honesty, or what's good for Bruce Jenner.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:44 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:30 pm What is the definition of 'mental illness'?
One good definition is when the person in question firmly believes something that is manifestly untrue, and especially if that delusion is not merely imaginary but also produces suffering, misery and social dysfunction. Then it's pathological and toxic, not merely fanciful.

Thinking you're a woman when you're a man, or thinking you're a man when you're a woman fits that bill perfectly. It's a severing of the grasp on basic reality, with consequent misery, maladjustment and destruction of social function. It means a life of sadness and hopeless fighting against reality.

Take Bruce Jenner. If we are honest, is there one single person in the whole world who actually believes he's a woman? Never mind the nonsense: is there really any doubt he's anything more than a mentally ill man?

Of course not. You know it, I know it, and even those fools who parrot the rot about him "always having been a woman" know it. But unlike you and me, they are willing to sacrifice Bruce on the altar of their pose of "tolerance," so that they can self-worship. None of it has even a modicum to do with truth, honesty, or what's good for Bruce Jenner.
That is fair enough, although maybe you could have been more brief and quoted the Hippocratic oath.
Sometimes ,indeed sadly often,it is society or those in power in society that decides what is true and what is untrue.There is a horror story in today's paper about the powerful church in Northern Ireland which decided that it was true that unmarried mothers and their babies should be shamed, overworked, and true that the babies should be uncared for or adopted without the mother's consent.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm Sometimes ,indeed sadly often,it is society or those in power in society that decides what is true and what is untrue.
They think they do. And they manage sometimes to fool some people.

But they always lose in the end. Reality always bites back.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:45 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm Sometimes ,indeed sadly often,it is society or those in power in society that decides what is true and what is untrue.

Nonsense! Reality sometimes is the suffering and death of innocent people. Some of these unmarried mothers served in the Magdalene laundries for all of their lives.

If it were not for investigative journalists many terrible realities would never surface.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Nonsense! Reality sometimes is the suffering and death of innocent people.
"...it is appointed unto a man once to die, and after this, the Judgment." (Hebrews 9:27)

Reality will indeed bite back. This will all be sorted out. Just wait and see. But before that, reality itself also get many people.

Where is Hitler now? He misled so many, as to what was true and not...what has it all amounted to?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Nonsense! Reality sometimes is the suffering and death of innocent people.
"...it is appointed unto a man once to die, and after this, the Judgment." (Hebrews 9:27)

Reality will indeed bite back. This will all be sorted out. Just wait and see. But before that, reality itself also get many people.

Where is Hitler now? He misled so many, as to what was true and not...what has it all amounted to?
“Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”

― Teresa of Avila
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:16 pm ― Teresa of Avila
Catholic heroes? You're quoting Catholic heroes instead of Scripture, and wondering why I remain unimpressed?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:53 pm
Catholic heroes? You're quoting Catholic heroes instead of Scripture, and wondering why I remain unimpressed?
What's with all this sectarianism? I might have guessed you were one of those. I guess if you lived in Derry you would be one of the rowdies cheering on the Apprentice Boys.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:21 am
What's with all this sectarianism?
What "sectarianism"? Do you feel you owe it to follow every agnostic and Atheist around? Why would I feel inclined to believe anybody who purports to be "religious"?

That doesn't follow at all.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:42 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:21 am
What's with all this sectarianism?
What "sectarianism"? Do you feel you owe it to follow every agnostic and Atheist around? Why would I feel inclined to believe anybody who purports to be "religious"?

That doesn't follow at all.
Secterianism. You had better look it up, because your reactive condemnation of Saint Teresa's thought reveals that you are sectarian.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:55 am ...your reactive condemnation of Saint Teresa's thought reveals that you are sectarian.
Heh., :D My refusal to make Theresa of Avila any kind of special authority reveals I'm not Catholic. That's all.

Do you ordinarily accuse all non-Catholics of being "sectarian"? I suppose you might, if you were yourself Catholic. Are you?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:55 am ...your reactive condemnation of Saint Teresa's thought reveals that you are sectarian.
Heh., :D My refusal to make Theresa of Avila any kind of special authority reveals I'm not Catholic. That's all.

Do you ordinarily accuse all non-Catholics of being "sectarian"? I suppose you might, if you were yourself Catholic. Are you?
Teresa of Avila is not any special kind of authority, for me either. I quoted her because she proposed the reason for imitating Christ.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:29 pm I quoted her because she proposed the reason for imitating Christ.
Well, funny people have funny ideas. T of A was right on a few things, and wrong on very many, judging by Scripture.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 pm Where is Hitler now?
Nowhere. Hitler is no more.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

RCSaunders wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:45 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 pm Where is Hitler now?
Nowhere. Hitler is no more.
Let's see if that turns out to be true.