ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2471
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:14 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:53 pm

It was a case your raised. I did not. I think it's a different topic, and one we're not even doing here.
Well I pointed out, in case you have forgotten, that the categories of family and marriage have been in flux in recent decades.
You mean only that people have lost track of the reality to which those categories rightly referred.

And I agree...they have done so.
we don't need to be idiots and pretend that conflates trannies with gays, so we won't do that, ok?
Yeah, fine. I was always fine with it.

Let's get back to the trans issue.
But you have this argument that has, as a necessary entailment, also contains the assertion that gay marriage is just as "untrue" as the other thing, and so gays who want to marry should be subjected to the same humiliations that you prescribe for trannies. Why the evasion? Just apply your argument to its full extent, unless you have some reason why your logic in this instance is special and only applies to trannies.
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm Half of their rhetoric
Show us an example.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9228
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:32 pm ... gays who want to marry should be subjected to the same humiliations that you prescribe for trannies...
Interesting.

You claim to advocate for both groups, but call trans people "trannies" and call helping them 'humiliations." And you again conflate homosexuality with trans-wanting.

I'm not sure you're well-equipped to discuss this... :?
Skepdick
Posts: 5131
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by Skepdick »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:11 pm Oh, that's not at all obvious. Half of their rhetoric surrounds the claim that they "have to" become a specific "gender." If there's no such thing as that gender, then there's nothing they "have to" become.And then they have no claim that society "owes them" to enable them to "become" it.
Mind projection fallacy. Just because language is categorical does not preclude certain phenomena from being continuous.

We have the linguistic categories of "day" and "night". I am sure you've noticed that day becomes night and night becomes day, and the fact that there is no clear dividing line doesn't seem to bother you one bit.
Skepdick
Posts: 5131
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by Skepdick »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:37 pm I'm not sure you're well-equipped to discuss this... :?
It hasn't stopped you all this time ... :?
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2471
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:37 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:32 pm ... gays who want to marry should be subjected to the same humiliations that you prescribe for trannies...
Interesting.

You claim to advocate for both groups, but call trans people "trannies" and call helping them 'humiliations." And you again conflate homosexuality with trans-wanting.

I'm not sure you're well-equipped to discuss this... :?
Oh dear. You are back to arguing against half a sentence, and blatantly misrepresenting me. I guess you aren't well equipped for some stuff yourself.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9228
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:01 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:37 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:32 pm ... gays who want to marry should be subjected to the same humiliations that you prescribe for trannies...
Interesting.

You claim to advocate for both groups, but call trans people "trannies" and call helping them 'humiliations." And you again conflate homosexuality with trans-wanting.

I'm not sure you're well-equipped to discuss this... :?
Oh dear. You are back to arguing against half a sentence, and blatantly misrepresenting me. I guess you aren't well equipped for some stuff yourself.
Did you not say "trannies"? It's above. And did you not say "gays" were relevant to the case? and did you not speak of "humiliations," of which I had not spoken at all? It's all above.

Pretty hard to misrepresent you, then.
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2471
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:14 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:01 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:37 pm
Interesting.

You claim to advocate for both groups, but call trans people "trannies" and call helping them 'humiliations." And you again conflate homosexuality with trans-wanting.

I'm not sure you're well-equipped to discuss this... :?
Oh dear. You are back to arguing against half a sentence, and blatantly misrepresenting me. I guess you aren't well equipped for some stuff yourself.
Did you not say "trannies"? It's above. And did you not say "gays" were relevant to the case? and did you not speak of "humiliations," of which I had not spoken at all? It's all above.

Pretty hard to misrepresent you, then.
Are you so far gone that you think you are an honest man, and that this still true even when you use this sort of shithousery to derail a debate you can't win?

Why are some people too shit to just recognise an argument doesn't work and drop it?
Skepdick
Posts: 5131
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 pm Why are some people too shit to just recognise an argument doesn't work and drop it?
Because an "argument that works" OUGHT to change minds.

But that would violate the sacrosanct gap!?!?! Therefore (if you take the is-ought gap as a philosophical fact) then mind-changing is impossible, then why bother arguing?

Paradox! Panic! Panic!
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9228
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 pm Are you so far gone...
Ah, the old ad hominem. :D

Last refuge of the confused.
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2471
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:03 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:27 pm Are you so far gone...
Ah, the old ad hominem. :D

Last refuge of the confused.
It's not. And you know it's not. That's just one of your other shit little tricks you do to derail the conversation.
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12313
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: "Categories are properties of minds, not of reality."

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote:...

Gender/sex is fixed and immutable; we don't invent this, we only recognize it.

...
Then we'd not have two words, "gender" is not the "sex". Gender used to be the social roles and behaviours assigned or assumed about, or to, the sexes, in the main it was the women who challenged these roles as they thought they were getting the short stick. I think the solution could be that if you're of one sex and not yet medically transitioned into the other then you are that sex, after transition you are the opposite sex. If you are a person who declares themselves to be the opposite sex, wants to wear what you think is the opposite sex's clothes and act in a gendered manner that you think is how the opposite sex behaves then you are a transvestite but still the same sex, or stuff along those lines.

I'm definitely puzzled that people think transsexuals are a threat to school children? As all the evidence is that males are the primary threat to school children.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4259
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: ANOTHER TRANNY BASHING THREAD

Post by attofishpi »

SBS here in Oz are showing some films this week re LGBT (Life's Good BT) stuff and since nothing better was on I decided to have a watch.

Two films - Erik and Erika - really good and a tad sad true story about an Austrian champion skier that didn't even know, she was actually a he - things downstairs were grown inwards. Fantastic to understand some of the perplexities to this perplexing biological and social anomaly.

The other I found quite funny the more I watched it - Adam - a hapless young virgin chap that hung out with his older lesbian sister in NY and ended up allowing a lesbian to believe that he was a transexual.

Thoroughly recommend them both, at least to grasp some understanding of what sexual preference - and especially with Erik - the terrible confronting situation of understanding a self identity.
Post Reply