What is the use of gender from evolutionary point of view?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

What is the use of gender from evolutionary point of view?

Post by bahman »

Does the existence of gender give the spices an advantage? Couldn't we have intellectual spices like human who have no gender?
Impenitent

Re: What is the use of gender from evolutionary point of view?

Post by Impenitent »

bahman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 pm Does the existence of gender give the spices an advantage? Couldn't we have intellectual spices like human who have no gender?
cinnaman may have an advantage but cinnamon is the intellectual spice...

it may evolve into toast topping but not unaided...

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Damn, I meant species.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

primorial germs were asexual - germs still are - it works well.

why some later diverged into sexes is a mystery - the mantra is to maximize genetic diferversity,

but a hermaphrodite can do this (I think some amphibians can become so when the other sex is not arround - they can self reproduce).

so the questions is why are we not all hermaphrodites? - why we all dont have both eggs and sperm, and hope we mate with others, but if can't can self mate as last recourse (like some frogs can/do).

i offer no answer, to me it seems like a good option per evolution.
IvoryBlackBishop

Post by IvoryBlackBishop »

bahman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 pm Does the existence of gender give the spices an advantage? Couldn't we have intellectual spices like human who have no gender?
Don't know, don't care.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Before women were created their was no cause to evolve. Things were too peaceful. The powers that be seeing the need for evolution debated this problem until some demiurge decided that the solution rested with creating women. They could provide the necessary pain in the ass or the motivation essential for evolution. Men learned they couldn't live with them or without them. But in short the effort bombed and the only ones profiting since then were lawyers and psychologists