Can a man really turn into a woman?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Can a man really turn into a woman?

Gender is fluid, mutable, interchangeable, just a social construct (yes).
22%
Gender is fixed, immutable, not subject to change, sumthin' concretely intrinsic to the person (no).
78%

Total votes: 9

Gary Childress

Re: Can a man really turn into a woman?

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:08 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:14 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 am

And what's worse, some of them will take offense if you unintentionally call them by the wrong name!
Be intentional, then. You're not gonna win with these deluded folks, no matter what you do, so you might well piss 'em off from the start, on your own terms.
Agree. Why should the whole world have to pander to their crap?

''Asia Kate Dillon (born November 15, 1984)[1] is an American actor, best known for their roles as Brandy Epps in Orange Is the New Black and Taylor Mason in Billions. Dillon is non-binary and uses singular they pronouns.[2][3][4] Their role on Billions is the first non-binary main character on North American television,[5] and earned them a Critics' Ch'oice Television Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.[6][7][8] They also played the Adjudicator in the action film John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019).'
Yeah. A lot of exceptions to the rules seem to migrate to Holy-wood; overpaid people are always looking for ways to feel sanctimonious and loft themselves over the rest.
Bloody yanks.
Well, it's in other parts of the world also. It's not like the US is forcing countries in Europe or Australia at gunpoint to adopt PC. They seem to be doing it all on their own. In fact, the UK seems to be advancing right alongside us in some respects from what I hear.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:40 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:08 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:14 am

Be intentional, then. You're not gonna win with these deluded folks, no matter what you do, so you might well piss 'em off from the start, on your own terms.
Agree. Why should the whole world have to pander to their crap?

''Asia Kate Dillon (born November 15, 1984)[1] is an American actor, best known for their roles as Brandy Epps in Orange Is the New Black and Taylor Mason in Billions. Dillon is non-binary and uses singular they pronouns.[2][3][4] Their role on Billions is the first non-binary main character on North American television,[5] and earned them a Critics' Ch'oice Television Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series.[6][7][8] They also played the Adjudicator in the action film John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (2019).'
Yeah. A lot of exceptions to the rules seem to migrate to Holy-wood; overpaid people are always looking for ways to feel sanctimonious and loft themselves over the rest.
Bloody yanks.
Well, it's in other parts of the world also. It's not like the US is forcing countries in Europe or Australia at gunpoint to adopt PC. They seem to be doing it all on their own. In fact, the UK seems to be advancing right alongside us in some respects from what I hear.
True. The US is certainly dragging the rest of the world down to its level. The internet has accelerated the effect.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:26 am I can't say I've ever had the feeling of anyone or anything holding me down other than my own foolishness. But I can't speak for everyone. I'm sure it can be very frustrating.
I've experienced being on the receiving end of unjustified male-dominance. They've swaggered around, authoritatively tried to tell me what to do, and tried to find trees in my life to piss on. They've tried to suppress me and reign over me. A truly wise man won't do any of that. So, both types are easy to spot. :D (All of my female friends have had the same experiences.) Until I learned how to collect such information to guide my awareness and actions -- I felt vulnerable. That, and being abused and raped, definitely brought up some rage.

Many men don't seem to consider how being put in a lesser position and often preyed upon, which culture and religion fully support and perpetuate in many ways, is horrific and disgusting. I can only imagine what minorities (and non-straight genders) go through... due to white male domination. This world seems WAY out of balance. And maybe that's exactly why the reactions to it seem so extreme.
vegetariantaxidermy

There's those 'evil white males' again. How racist of you.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:31 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:26 am I can't say I've ever had the feeling of anyone or anything holding me down other than my own foolishness. But I can't speak for everyone. I'm sure it can be very frustrating.
I've experienced being on the receiving end of unjustified male-dominance. They've swaggered around, authoritatively tried to tell me what to do, and tried to find trees in my life to piss on. They've tried to suppress me and reign over me. A truly wise man won't do any of that. So, both types are easy to spot. :D (All of my female friends have had the same experiences.) Until I learned how to collect such information to guide my awareness and actions -- I felt vulnerable. That, and being abused and raped, definitely brought up some rage.

Many men don't seem to consider how being put in a lesser position and often preyed upon, which culture and religion fully support and perpetuate in many ways, is horrific and disgusting. I can only imagine what minorities (and non-straight genders) go through... due to white male domination. This world seems WAY out of balance. And maybe that's exactly why the reactions to it seem so extreme.
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences.

I don't understand men who physically force themselves on females. I was the guy who was shy and always worried about how he looked and wanted to impress women (not that I did, I was a bit homely looking), thinking they would ask me out. But only a few ever did. Of course, the ones that asked me out were also the ones who couldn't get any men to ask them out. So I didn't have a very exciting love life. Never had a serious romantic relationship and I was a virgin until about age 49. Talk about "dry spells". :D

I had many years of sexual frustration but never forced myself on a girl over it. It wasn't fun but I behaved myself in that respect. I had a chance where I could have taken advantage of a fairly attractive 15-year-old when I was 25 but passed it up. If I could wait 49 years, I don't see why others can't behave themselves.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:31 amMany men don't seem to consider how being put in a lesser position and often preyed upon, which culture and religion fully support and perpetuate in many ways, is horrific and disgusting. I can only imagine what minorities (and non-straight genders) go through... due to white male domination. This world seems WAY out of balance. And maybe that's exactly why the reactions to it seem so extreme.
It's funny how the progressive types just push the bar of oppression up to whatever label doesn't immediately include themselves. Like, if you were a black woman with this same mindset, I think you'd just say 'white domination.' And if you were a mentally disabled woman, I think you might just push such perceived disadvantages onto the fault of people who are 'neurotypical.' Course I get the phychology, because what you're saying doesn't work if the scapegoat could poitentially include yourself.

But what I've been coming to terms with, recently, is that criticism of yourself is ironically the most effective kind, while being the one many tend to have most resistance to; You can't police someone elses' intentions in any given situation, but you can directly police that of your own. Think back to the situations with the white men who held you back in life, and think to yourself, 'what could I have done to help prevent the general awfulness of that situation? Maybe I was 99% correct in everything I did in that circumstance...but what was that 1%?'' Start out challenging yourself with such a premise, because it makes the rest a lot easier. When you realize what it might have been, and you say it out aloud or on paper, it'll hit you like a ton of bricks; You start to realize that no one on earth is really the super-villain our egos have lead us to believe

Ultimately you can't change the disadvantages the world has for you, you can only improve yourself to a point where those disadvantages are mitigated. But honestly, in this sort of self-realization I speak of, I don't believe that is what's actually going on; Regardless, admitting to yourself that you're every bit as flawed a human being capable of descending into greed, and hatred, and lust, and jealousy, and a total incapacity to fight the world around you - it's not only step 1 to self-improvement, I think it may very well be the only way to improvement. But I'm not enitrely sure about that one, yet, I'll have to let you know in a few years; And when the first thing you start to wonder about in a traumatic event that keeps bouncing around in your head, are your own inadequacies - you'll begin to receive a very frightening amount of insight, not at all unsimilar to the feeling of an ego-death that psychedelic trips were only thought to conjure.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:06 am I don't understand men who physically force themselves on females.
I don't either. I think to myself: I would never force myself on anyone. Not in any way. I do not understand a mentality that thinks that's reasonable. It's so invasive of another person. But I try to understand -- maybe men (in part of their brain) feel like they're meant to be invaders. Conquering...slaying...stealing and claiming. Women (generally-speaking, obviously -- but I'll say it for the PC word monitor who likes to read my posts and then bitch about them although she is too lame or brave to express her own perspectives unless an attack is involved -- maybe she's got a lot of male in her)… anyway, where was I... :lol: Oh yeh, women typically don't think/act in such terms.

It actually seems really idiotic to me that having a penis means one has to stick it in everything they can. :lol:

I applaud your ability to have honor and think differently, Gary.

We all have our paths in life, which may include abuse and all kinds of trauma. People use or rebound from that in all kinds of ways. I haven't let mine hold me back, but maybe that means I can be insensitive when I think other people have more potential beyond their traumas too. Maybe they don't. I don't know. I just like to suggest how vast potential must surely be. :D It doesn't seem to hurt to consider it.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:59 am
I see and understand the points you're making.

Yes, we speak from the positions we're in. And there's always more to consider and see.

I've learned a lot by examining myself and asking what I could have done different. I was less in control when I was 6 years old, but I did eventually speak up despite more threats that were made to me, and that stopped it. It was the worst year of my life. It taught me self-reliance though. No one was going to save me. I was on my own. As an adult, I was raped at knife-point, and nobody came when I screamed, so I kind of had to play the game to survive. It's important to know how to outwit. Abusive people are not being very smart. Now I can spot certain energy in people very quickly... and avoid them. When someone suddenly flips out, I know how to avoid engaging with it. I just come on here and engage people. :lol: :lol:

Yes, we all play into this madness... some more than others... and at certain times more than other times. Being mindful of oneself and what one is creating is very helpful! Then we don't muddy the waters with our own crazy crap, and we can see what else we need to be aware of. But if we do feel like getting in and stirring it up in a delirious way, that's okay too. We just have to clean up afterwards.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:32 pm maybe she's got a lot of male in her)… anyway, where was I... :lol:
Oh, he he he. No, I'm just not a self-absorbed phony who likes to drivel on about myself and imply to anyone who can be bothered reading my crap that I'm so irresistible that men can't keep their pants on in my company.
I don't have the ego to assume that everyone wants to read about ME, ME, ME. That kind of navel-gazing is such a yank thing.
I'm also not a hypocrite. First you denigrate an entity called 'white men' as if they were all rich, privileged powermongers. Then you assume I must be 'butch' because I don't flirt and 'titter' the way you do. So not only racist, but sexist as well.

If anyone on here thinks I exaggerate when I say that 'PC' is a synonym for 'hypocrite' then they don't have to look very far to see that I'm right.

Unless, of course, you meant 'She's had a lot of males in her', which might be closer to the truth :mrgreen:

Plus, I've also found that people on the internet who try to convey a certain 'image' of themselves are invariably the exact opposite.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:32 pm maybe she's got a lot of male in her)… anyway, where was I... :lol:
Oh, he he he. No, I'm just not a self-absorbed phony who likes to drivel on about myself and imply to anyone who can be bothered reading my crap that I'm so irresistible that men can't keep their pants on in my company.
What are you talking about? Seriously, are you mentally deficient?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pmI don't have the ego to assume that everyone wants to read about ME, ME, ME.
Don't you know that personal experience is where we get our attitudes and ideas from, and sometimes it helps to know why a person says and thinks as they do. Of course, there are other people who just make up stupid crap and insist that it should be a religion. They appear to have very little awareness of themselves at all.
I'm also not a hypocrite.
Well, don't worry... you're so many other things.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pm ...such a yank thing.
:lol:
First you denigrate an entity called 'white men' as if they were all rich, privileged powermongers. Then you assume I must be 'butch' because I don't flirt and 'titter' the way you do.
Oh boo hoo. Get the fuck over it or stop reading my posts.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pmPlus, I've also found that people on the internet who try to convey a certain 'image' of themselves are invariably the exact opposite.
Did you find that out by meeting them in person? I imagine it's often true. But what do you think I'm being phony about? Be sure that you're talking about what I've actually said and NOT what you've distorted it into with your depraved unbalanced mind of rage.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:49 pm
What are you talking about? Seriously, are you mentally deficient?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pmI don't have the ego to assume that everyone wants to read about ME, ME, ME.
Don't you know that personal experience is where we get our attitudes and ideas from, and sometimes it helps to know why a person says and thinks as they do. Of course, there are other people who just make up stupid crap and insist that it should be a religion. They appear to have very little awareness of themselves at all.
I'm also not a hypocrite.
Well, don't worry... you're so many other things.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pm ...such a yank thing.
:lol:
First you denigrate an entity called 'white men' as if they were all rich, privileged powermongers. Then you assume I must be 'butch' because I don't flirt and 'titter' the way you do.
Oh boo hoo. Get the fuck over it or stop reading my posts.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:13 pmPlus, I've also found that people on the internet who try to convey a certain 'image' of themselves are invariably the exact opposite.
Did you find that out by meeting them in person? I imagine it's often true. But what do you think I'm being phony about? Be sure that you're talking about what I've actually said and NOT what you've distorted it into with your depraved unbalanced mind of rage.
Where can I start? ...................
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:32 pm But I try to understand -- maybe men (in part of their brain) feel like they're meant to be invaders. Conquering...slaying...stealing and claiming.
Not all men are like that. We're not all cut out of the same mold. But I understand the tendency to project anger at groups of people when a few individuals from that demographic do something horrible to us. I get angry at groups of people too sometimes, as though they're all the same, though I really should be more mindful of when I do and stop myself.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:09 pm Where can I start? ...................
Anywhere... just start.
vegetariantaxidermy

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:09 pm Where can I start? ...................
Anywhere... just start.
I did
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:32 pm But I try to understand -- maybe men (in part of their brain) feel like they're meant to be invaders. Conquering...slaying...stealing and claiming.
Not all men are like that. We're not all cut out of the same mold. But I understand the tendency to project anger at groups of people when a few individuals from that demographic do something horrible to us. I get angry at groups of people too sometimes, as though they're all the same, though I really should be more mindful of when I do and stop myself.
I understand, Gary. I think when talking about an imbalance of power and the way women have been treated within that, it's perfectly reasonable to wonder what kind of male traits might drive that. Of course there will be men who have more awareness or mastery or whatever. Please understand, it's not just a "few individuals" as you say. This is a lifetime of experience that many women share and agree on. It's difficult for men to fully understand it when they don't live it. Still, I do not hate men at all. I enjoy making fun of them at times... but every woman I know does. It's good to be able to laugh about things.
Last edited by Lacewing on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.