Is sex-selective abortion an immoral thing to do?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Is sex-selective abortion an immoral thing to do?

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel, I am sorry that you give Christianity a bad name, and I applaud VegetarianTaxidermy's " Kristianity" which differentiates the false from the genuine.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:30 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:19 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:37 am
So Gary, are you in favour of women executing female babies in preference for male ones?

Just asking.
No. I'm not in favor of any kind of abortion, except where it's necessary to save the mother's life. I stated my position back on the first page.
Then you are as big a fool a ick. Why the hell would you have ANY opinion on it except that it's none of your damn business? YOU are never going to need one so butt out!
I'm not in favor of abortion (except in cases of rape or where carrying through presents an existential threat to the mother's survival). If it were up to me I would rather live with the consequences than abort a baby. It's my personal choice. However, I also said in my post back on page 1 that I don't believe in outlawing the practice (lest people go back to illegal abortions using unsafe means). I believe others should still have the choice if they truly want to go that route.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:28 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:19 am

No. I'm not in favor of any kind of abortion, except where it's necessary to save the mother's life. I stated my position back on the first page.
Then you are as big a fool a ick. Why the hell would you have ANY opinion on it except that it's none of your damn business? YOU are never going to need one so butt out!
I'm not in favor of abortion (except in cases of rape or where carrying through presents an existential threat to the mother's survival). If it were up to me I would rather live with the consequences than abort a baby. It's my personal choice. However, I also said in my post back on page 1 that I don't believe in outlawing the practice (lest people go back to illegal abortions using unsafe means). I believe others should still have the choice if they truly want to go that route.
You are hardly likely to need one so your comment is beyond absurd.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:47 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:28 am

You are hardly likely to need one so your comment is beyond absurd.
OK. I'll butt out then. Bye.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:18 am Immanuel, I am sorry that you give Christianity a bad name, and I applaud VegetarianTaxidermy's " Kristianity" which differentiates the false from the genuine.
Interesting.

It seems that those who hate Christianity regard themselves as uniquely positioned to say what is the false and the genuine. And it turns out that their "good Christianity" is actually the thing that simply lets them alone to do whatever they please.

They also seem to imagine I would owe them to bow to their imaginative construct, and to feel bad if I didn't.

Strangely, I feel no compulsion in that regard. After all, it is not to them that both I and they must give answer. So we'd best speak as our consciences and our knowledge instruct us; for we will stand or fall not on what others want to say about us, but on what we actually did and who we actually were.

In the matter of the preservation of infants, I have little fear of ending up on the wrong side. Something about "millstones" and "the depths of the sea" comes to mind...

So there it must rest.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I don't hate Christianity. Immanuel, it's not good to tell lies ,
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 pm I don't hate Christianity. Immanuel, it's not good to tell lies by implication.

Jesus Christ is iconic and therefore can be relevant to everybody. I object to your unreasoning ethics which you atttribute to Christianity.
henry quirk

"They also seem to imagine I would owe them to bow to their imaginative construct, and to feel bad if I didn't."

Post by henry quirk »

C'mon, Mannie: centuries of tradition and teachings are supposed to give way to 'modernity' or 'post modernity' or ' liberal theology' or 'progressive christianity' or 'contemporary christianity' or whatever the hell is in vogue.

You're just a stuck-in-the-mud fuddy-duddy, and -- yes -- you should 'feel' bad.

Christianity, after all, is just a 'construct'. It has no meaning beyond what folks give it. You, standin' there, all 'christian soldier', refusin' to budge: what right have you to such conviction? Like everyone: you shouod be ridin' the wave to to next 'big thing', the next 'nu-wave', the next arbitrary bit of hokum. I hear zen vegan planking is 'in' (somewhere). Lay down the Book, massage your chi, get on with being 'wood' (but, don't 'get' wood...that's anti-woman).
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:25 pm I don't hate Christianity.
Perhaps I was not speaking of you. But if you feel I should be...
Jesus Christ is iconic and therefore can be relevant to everybody.
Whatever they do, and on any terms?

I wonder if He has any opinion about that view.

If you read what He actually said, I think you'll change your mind. He's "relevant" to people in very different ways. To some, He's relevant as their Lord. To others, He's relevant as their Judge. To others, He's relevant by way of being against them. The important thing is to make sure you're "relevant" to Him in the way He prescribes, not in the way we might imagine we would choose to be, left to our own preferences.

I wonder what His "relevant" view on sex-selection abortion would be...
henry quirk

fundamental question some folks work damned hard to ignore:

Post by henry quirk »

Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?
Immanuel Can

Re: "They also seem to imagine I would owe them to bow to their imaginative construct, and to feel bad if I didn't."

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:14 pm C'mon, Mannie: centuries of tradition and teachings are supposed to give way to 'modernity' or 'post modernity' or ' liberal theology' or 'progressive christianity' or 'contemporary christianity' or whatever the hell is in vogue.

You're just a stuck-in-the-mud fuddy-duddy, and -- yes -- you should 'feel' bad.
It all has that irritating, demanding quality of objective truth, doesn't it?

It's like that horrible thing "science," that makes us give up what we would want to believe about the material world, and go with some singular fact about it. Or that horrible thing "reason," that makes us only follow lines of thinking that "add up," instead of making up our lines of thought on-the-fly. Or that annoying thing "a fact," that has no regard for our feelings...

Very annoying to the Postmodern mind. Very "oppressive."

But...can't be helped.
Immanuel Can

Re: fundamental question some folks work damned hard to ignore:

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:19 pm Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?
Apparently the male ones are persons, because they're "wanted." They're precious, and every woman has the right to have one. The female ones are not "wanted," so they're just "meat." They're not valuable, and any woman can kill them.

Because so says the sex-selection argument.
vegetariantaxidermy

A lot of ignorance here. 'Wrong sex' is not considered a valid reason for having an abortion. You normally can't tell the sex of the foetus until about 20 weeks into the pregnancy, and even then it can be wrong. If a woman is so pathetic and/or mentally unstable that she would go through an abortion at 20 weeks (more like an early induction) simply because she wanted the opposite gender then she really shouldn't be having children at all. It's an abuse of something that is indispensable to millions of women in genuinely desperate situations.
There is also the fact that in all likelihood those women are being forced to abort by enraged husband in cultures like Indian and Chinese, where male offspring are far more valued, in which case you again have males and superstition dictating women's reproduction to women.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

anyone?

Post by henry quirk »

Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: anyone?

henry quirk wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:03 pm Does a pregnant woman carry a human being/person or just 'life'/meat?
You might think you are being all 'manly' using the word 'meat' in that sense, but you are only showing yourself up as ignorant and illiterate.
Do you think all pregnant women have the same thought-patterns? How would anyone know what someone else is thinking? Do you think that 'pregnant women' is a single entity?
Why do you keep repeating the same nonsesical non-question?