Laverne Cox.

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Laverne Cox.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

? Whoever that is. Apparently ze is the ''first openly transgender (umm no, you are a man who has had lots of plastic surgery and spent a lot on wigs and makeup to become a caricature of what you think makes a 'woman a woman' ) person of colour in acting''.

''Contextualize the present and go forward into the future''. Is there no end to the bullshit 'buzzphrases' that yanks will come up with to try to convince the rest of us that they are normal people with even the tiniest amount of substance? Sorry, but it's painfully transparent that they have no substance, and their fake phrases are as fake as their fake teeth and hair and stick-on personalities.
The US has become its own Hollywood set. A false front that (hopefully) might blow away at any time.

Gary Childress

Re: Laverne Cox.

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:48 am ''Contextualize the present and go forward into the future''.
Interesting phrase. It just needs the word, "intersectionality" thrown in it somewhere and it'd be a perfect 10 out of 10.
Intersectionality is an analytic framework that attempts to identify how interlocking systems of power impact those who are most marginalized in society.[1] The term was coined by black feminist scholar Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw in 1989[2][3][4]. Intersectionality considers that various forms of social stratification, such as class, race, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, disability and gender, do not exist separately from each other but are woven together. While the theory began as an exploration of the oppression of women of color within society, today the analysis is potentially applied to all social categories, including social identities usually seen as dominant when considered independently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersectionality

I used to be fairly "liberal" back in my college days. I believed in sticking up for the little guy or the odd person whom everyone else picked on. Now the freaks have literally taken over and are imposing all this bizarro crap on everyone. It's like sticking up for Hitler before he rose to power, thinking it was unfair of the Germans to try to marginalize the poor little guy with the cute mustache. Then, he gets in front of the microphone on the big stage and you realize your mistake.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 am
Interesting phrase. It just needs the word, "intersectionality" thrown in it somewhere and it'd be a perfect 10 out of 10.
Intersectionality is an analytic framework that attempts to identify how interlocking systems of power impact those who are most marginalized in society.[1] The term was coined by black feminist scholar Kimberlé Williams Crenshaw in 1989[2][3][4]. Intersectionality considers that various forms of social stratification, such as class, race, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, disability and gender, do not exist separately from each other but are woven together. While the theory began as an exploration of the oppression of women of color within society, today the analysis is potentially applied to all social categories, including social identities usually seen as dominant when considered independently.

I think I've lost the will to live.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 am

I think I've lost the will to live.
Yeah. That's kind of the way I have felt for a long time too. :(
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:48 am ? Whoever that is. Apparently ze is the ''first openly transgender (umm no, you are a man who has had lots of plastic surgery and spent a lot on wigs and makeup to become a caricature of what you think makes a 'woman a woman' ) person of colour in acting''.

''Contextualize the present and go forward into the future''. Is there no end to the bullshit 'buzzphrases' that yanks will come up with to try to convince the rest of us that they are normal people with even the tiniest amount of substance? Sorry, but it's painfully transparent that they have no substance, and their fake phrases are as fake as their fake teeth and hair and stick-on personalities.
The US has become its own Hollywood set. A false front that (hopefully) might blow away at any time.

This is very unfair to most Americans, or at least I hope so, but as a summary of the impression given in the media it seems spot on. I don't know why sensible Americans put up with all this rubbish.

I no longer believe it is politically correct to be politically correct. It seems to be a phrase meaning 'people who don't agree with me'. I suspect much of this is about the commercial exploitation of people's fears and insecurities, and it does seem true that US intellectuals are awash with these.

Hollywood seems intent on making the USA a laughing stock and I really don't know why the media moguls feel this is necessary or even a good idea.