The Insidious Power of Pronoun Discrimination

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TimeSeeker

Re: Re:

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm LOL. So 'risking your life for strangers' is a sign of empathy and kindness? Umm no. It's a sign that you (perhaps) chose a particular kind of profession.
You missed the part where I said "voluntarily and without payment". So not a profession. I give up my spare time for it.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm Do you spend your days weeping and suffering for all the people you couldn't save?
Is THAT what makes you empathetic? What good is it crying? Figure out what went wrong and DO better next time!
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm I do hope you aren't a cop, because if you are then you are seriously deluding yourself.
15 years and counting.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm I think a very kind and empathetic person would go insane quite quickly in that kind of job.
A kind and empathetic person has no clue how to function rationally in a shitty, fucked up world. That's why you are ineffective at driving any significant change. There is a time and place for empathy. And there is a time and place when it's harmful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1zZ_eKSAAI
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm LOL. So 'risking your life for strangers' is a sign of empathy and kindness? Umm no. It's a sign that you (perhaps) chose a particular kind of profession.
You missed the part where I said "voluntarily and without payment". So not a profession. I give up my spare time for it.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm Do you spend your days weeping and suffering for all the people you couldn't save?
Is THAT what makes you empathetic? What good is it crying? DO better next time!
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm I do hope you aren't a cop, because if you are then you are seriously deluding yourself.
15 years and counting.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm I think a very kind and empathetic person would go insane quite quickly in that kind of job.
A kind and empathetic person has no clue how to function rationally in a shitty, fucked up world. That's why you are ineffective at driving any significant change. There is a time and place for empathy. And there is a time and place when it's harmful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1zZ_eKSAAI
So you are a thug then, and lackey for whoever is in power. Do you even know what the purpose of a police force is? It certainly ain't to 'help' people.
And that's a very stupid and shallow video. In fact, it's reinforcing much of what I say.
'Warm-glow' charity-giving and virtue-signalling have nothing to do with natural empathy and kindness.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:10 pm So you are a thug then, and lackey for whoever is in power. Do you even know what the purpose of a police force is? It certainly ain't to 'help' people.
A thug? Is a strawman all you got? Yes, I know what the institution can do. But I am not the institution and the institution is not me.

Do I strike you as somebody who has much respect for authority? The system is a tool. It can use you; or you can use it.

It's precisely because I am a volunteer and my financial well-being doesn't depend on the Police is why I am not under anybody's thumb.
My last insubordination disciplinary was for refusing to arrest a bunch of homeless guys. Bought them KFC instead.

What are they going to do? Fire me :lol: :lol: :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:10 pm 'Warm-glow' charity-giving and virtue-signalling have nothing to do with natural empathy and kindness.
OK. so tell us how you convert your 'natural empathy and kindness' into positive impact on society?
vegetariantaxidermy

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:16 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:10 pm So you are a thug then, and lackey for whoever is in power. Do you even know what the purpose of a police force is? It certainly ain't to 'help' people.
A thug? Is a strawman all you got? Yes, I know what the institution can do. But I am not the institution and the institution is not me.

Do I strike you as somebody who has much respect for authority? The system is a tool. It can use you; or you can use it.

It's precisely because I am a volunteer and my financial well-being doesn't depend on the Police is why I am not under anybody's thumb.
My last insubordination disciplinary was for refusing to arrest a bunch of homeless guys. Bought them KFC instead.

What are they going to do? Fire me :lol: :lol: :lol:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:10 pm 'Warm-glow' charity-giving and virtue-signalling have nothing to do with natural empathy and kindness.
OK. so tell us how you convert your 'natural empathy and kindness' into positive impact on society?
A 'police volunteer'? What is that? Btw, I don't answer personal questions on here. Do you wan't me to 'virtue signal' or something? List all the charities I give to, in the way christians love to boast about? Little or none of the money given to the vast bulk of 'charities' ever gets to whoever it's claimed it goes to anyway--'charities' are 95+ per cent 'administration'.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 pm A 'police volunteer'? What is that?
https://www.saps.gov.za/services/reservist.php

I work part-time. I have identical training and authority to a career police officer. I don't get paid.

It's a platform for the community to get involved in its own safety.
vegetariantaxidermy

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:29 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 pm A 'police volunteer'? What is that?
https://www.saps.gov.za/services/reservist.php

I work part-time. I have identical training and authority to a career police officer. I don't get paid.

It's a platform for the community to get involved in its own safety.
Then you aren't a police officer. They work for the Govt. Their job is to make sure that the population obeys whatever laws are in place under whoever happens to be in power, and arrest those who don't.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 pm Then you aren't a police officer. They work for the Govt. Their job is to make sure that the population obeys whatever laws are in place under whoever happens to be in power, and arrest those who don't.
OK. My uniform, gun and badge are just for show. The bullet lodged in my old bullet-proof vest circa 2009 is also "not real".

I report to the government. I report to the same police captain the "real police officers" report to. I enforce the same laws.
I respond the same crime in the same cars using the same uniforms.

The only difference is - I don't get paid. If that doesn't make me a "real police officer" then OK.

Apologies if I don't fit in you your neatly-arranged boxes.

I guess I identify as police officer so that's all that matters :lol: :lol: :lol:
attofishpi

Re: The Insidious Power of Pronoun Discrimination

Post by attofishpi »

I think it's time before it's too late that laws are put in place to restrict 'robots' from enforcing 'law' - that would protect the elite at the top.
vegetariantaxidermy

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 pm Then you aren't a police officer. They work for the Govt. Their job is to make sure that the population obeys whatever laws are in place under whoever happens to be in power, and arrest those who don't.
OK. My uniform, gun and badge are just for show. The bullet lodged in my old bullet-proof vest circa 2009 is also "not real".

I report to the government. I report to the same police captain the "real police officers" report to. I enforce the same laws.
I respond the same crime in the same cars using the same uniforms.

The only difference is - I don't get paid. If that doesn't make me a "real police officer" then OK.

Apologies if I don't fit in you your neatly-arranged boxes.

I guess I identify as police officer so that's all that matters :lol: :lol: :lol:
Weird sort of a 'hobby'.

So you are from South Africa--a country that is reknowned for its kind and empathetic police force 8)
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 pm Weird sort of a 'hobby'.

So you are from South Africa--a country that is reknowned for its kind and empathetic police force 8)
You can't help yourself putting people in boxes, can you ? ;)
Greta

Post by Greta »

Some of the comments here are shockingly ignorant for a philosophy forum. Normal for Facebook and Twitter for people to blather on without knowing ANYTHING at all about what they are talking about, but it's sad and embarrassing on a philosophy forum.

All of the research regarding human diversity of the last half century is seemingly just thrown out of the window here and we return to the early 1950s before Christine Jorgensen hit the headlines. The brain studies showing differing brain structures according to gender identity are completely disregarded.

People here apparently don't realise not everything that is real is visible. Kant would be weeping in his grave to see what "philosophy" has come to.
vegetariantaxidermy

Greta wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 pm Some of the comments here are shockingly ignorant for a philosophy forum. Normal for Facebook and Twitter for people to blather on without knowing ANYTHING at all about what they are talking about, but it's sad and embarrassing on a philosophy forum.

All of the research regarding human diversity of the last half century is seemingly just thrown out of the window here and we return to the early 1950s before Christine Jorgensen hit the headlines. The brain studies showing differing brain structures according to gender identity are completely disregarded.

People here apparently don't realise not everything that is real is visible. Kant would be weeping in his grave to see what "philosophy" has come to.
Of course brain activity will look different FFS!
henry quirk

confirm sumthin' for me, Greta

Post by henry quirk »

It's not enough that I leave them be to do with themselves as they like, I also have to agree with them, no matter how outlandish or just plain wrong their self-assessment is, yeah?
henry quirk

"Of course brain activity will look different FFS!"

Post by henry quirk »

Veg, don't get drawn in. If there were any definitive research Greta would foist it up. She hasn't cuz it doesn't exist.
vegetariantaxidermy

:lol: