The Insidious Power of Pronoun Discrimination

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

The Insidious Power of Pronoun Discrimination

Post by Nick_A »

It is now natural for a person or thing to be given gender definitions through pronouns without their consent. But if a biologically male student wants to be referred to as "miss" what's the problem?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... er-policy/
A philosophy professor in Ohio sued his employer Monday after the university forced him to refer to a transgender student by the student’s preferred gender pronoun, saying the school’s gender identity policy violates his religious convictions.

Nicholas Meriwether, a professor at Shawnee State University and an evangelical Christian, had offered to refer to Alena Burning, a biologically male student, by the student’s preferred name.

But Ms. Bruening demanded to be referred to as “Miss” and “she” in accordance with the student’s gender identity, filing a complaint against her professor earlier this year for not accommodating her wishes.

Shawnee State University, a public school in Ohio, requires its staff to refer to transgender student’s by his or her preferred gender pronouns.
As you can see the cause of the problem is pronouns. It is time that the politically correct establishment stands up to France and its biased French language. Can you imagine they use articles in front of a noun to determine if is male, female, or neutral.

The French word for chair is la chaise. Why should it be given a feminine gender? Who knows if it prefers to be sat on by men or women? Yet these gender biased have assumed it is the female who invites being sat on. Talk about a gender bias. Is it time the politically correct raised their collective voices in defiance of gender discrimination defined through pronouns and removed these biased articles altogether?
Impenitent

Re: The Insidious Power of Pronoun Discrimination

Post by Impenitent »

the professor should exercise true equality and just call everyone "chithead"

-Imp
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:05 am the professor should exercise true equality and just call everyone "chithead"

-Imp
Excellent suggestion. Instead of calling an individual Man Mr. Johnson and an individual woman Miss Johnson, they should both be referred to as Chithed Johnson. It would assure gender equality.
Greta

The Distraction and Power Games of Pronoun Discrimination

Post by Greta »

The poor kid is wildly different to her peers and is no doubt doing it tough. A teacher in a position of power should be mature and decent enough not to distract students with their personal agendas, pushing against a student's legal wishes.

If a student is trans then FFS just use "she" and stop distracting her and the class with power games ('I'll call you whatever I want to call you').

Sir, could you please call me Susan, I hate Suzie?
No Suzie. I like Suzie better so I'll stick with that.

Sir, could you please call me Bob, I hate Robert.
Sure Robert. What's the problem, Robert? That's your name.

Could we please not talk about x, it upsets me?
Screw you, snowie - x x x x x x X!

Basically it's the same dynamic as described in the OP. Unprofessional, disrespectful and basically "chithead" behaviour by the professor.

By the same token, if a teacher decided to humiliate a male student by referring to him as "she" a complaint would be upheld too, and so it should. That too would be "chithead" behaviour. Nobody enjoys public humiliation, especially the vulnerable when dealing with people they should be able to trust - whom they pay big money to be trustworthy.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

my parents made me to go to bible camps and stuff like that, i even taught sunday school for a bit

there is nothing in the bible prohibiting someone from referring to a biologically male person as 'miss'. Nothing.

anyway who says otherwise is either ignorant of the bible or is doing what the Bible calls "bearing false witness"
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

So many wankers in the world. Why not just have a toilet for 'confused nut-jobs'?
henry quirk

"Why not just have a toilet for 'confused nut-jobs'?"

Post by henry quirk »

HAHAHAHAHA!

Exactly.

-----

As I say: if Joe wants to self-identify as Josephine, that's fine by me. If Joe wants to hormonally, chemically, surgically mutilate himself to effect the appearance of Josephine, that's fine by me.

But: Joe is not Josephine (he is not she just cuz he thinks he is or cuz he's mutilated himself), so I won't participate in his delusion. He, Joe, is a guy and I won't say, act, think otherwise.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Ban all the pronouns, beginning with me.

Proper names only.
Tom, Dick, Harriette, Mr. T, whatever.

The rule makes for clear messaging, although those who find comprehension to be a challenge may also find the rhythms created by no pronouns to be distracting.

For even clearer messaging, ban all forms of "to be."
Last edited by Walker on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Apparently if the student refer to itself as miss it no longer can be considered male. This means the student must must participate with the girls in gym class and shower with the girls. No male student can do this. This student considers themselves to be miss so cannot be considered male under any circumstances. It would be politically incorrect to do so. You are what you say you are.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Does any other aspect of life also insist on such inflexible consistency that doesn't jive with the reality of human psychological complexity?
Greta

Post by Greta »

People are not all the same. Yet all must fit into neat boxes, leaving the intersexed and trans to be reviled for the crime of not pretending to be normal.

I sincerely hope that each of you has a child with either ambiguous genitalia or is simply faaaabulous!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 pm People are not all the same. Yet all must fit into neat boxes, leaving the intersexed and trans to be reviled for the crime of not pretending to be normal.

I sincerely hope that each of you has a child with either ambiguous genitalia or is simply faaaabulous!
This one sees no reason why (ambiguous pronoun) should begin relating to reality at this late date. The change could be an irrevocable shock to the system.
henry quirk

"People are not all the same."

Post by henry quirk »

No, they're not, but they are all human, and as humans there are common qualities.

One such quality is the natural, normal biological/neurological development of a human being as dictated by XX or XY.

It isn't natural or normal for Joe to believe he's Josephine (unless, perhaps, because of chromosomal abnormality).

Anyway: as I say, Joe can do any damned thing he likes with his flesh including catering to a psycho-disease. Not anybody's business till he, Joe, starts demandin' to be recognized as Josephne (cuz he ain't).
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Greta wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 pm ... Yet all must fit into neat boxes...
that's the nature of language itself

-Imp
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:21 pm People are not all the same. Yet all must fit into neat boxes, leaving the intersexed and trans to be reviled for the crime of not pretending to be normal.

If you believe people are not all the same, why are theists as a collective all considered despicable?