"Have you noticed the way genders are mixing and vanishing? It's difficult to know who are male and female sometimes."

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TimeSeeker

Re:

Post by TimeSeeker »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am No, I'm stating facts about Joe's behavior as it extends out of his base biology.
No - you aren't stating facts about Joe. You are stating statistics about people with XY chromosomes. See my example re: Yao Ming. You are infering facts about his behavior from his chromosome type while you are disregarding his ACTUAL right-in-front-of-you behavior. Almost as if you believe science more than your own eyes.

You are insisting that there is a particular way in which Joe OUGHT TO behave. Because his XY chromosomes. Ironic - given the other thread ;)
henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am Just the opposite: I'm going from the particular (xy) to the general (his behavior, his psyche).
Well, you aren't. Because his behavior and psyche if a product of MANY different variables. Some of it is his XY chromozomes. But he has a bunch of other chromosomes too which also have significant impact!

Human behavior is subject to multi-variate causality.
henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am "so if Joe is waving his wrist. Wearing a skirt, has a pair of tits greater than my girlfriend's - NOTHING about Joe's behavior is typical to that of a man!"

Indicating a disorder of his thinking, or a genetic aberration (not a benign 'life choice').
No. What you are doing now IS a disorder in thinking ;) It is called a hasty generalization. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization
henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 am "i am lecturing you."

Then you can go pound sand.
And that's evidence for inability to introspect and self-correct. We ought to label such behavior a 'mental disorder' too I think? Then we can force people who think like you to get help ;)

Because intelligent people, typically, don't behave or think like that.But we won't do that because free will includes the willingness to remain ignorant ;)
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: "Have you noticed the way genders are mixing and vanishing? It's difficult to know who are male and female sometimes

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What if a human thinks they are a dog? Would that be a mental disorder?
TimeSeeker

Re: "Have you noticed the way genders are mixing and vanishing? It's difficult to know who are male and female sometimes

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 am What if a human thinks they are a dog? Would that be a mental disorder?

If it is impeding their ability to function in society and if they pose a threat to others or themselves - then we can invoke the law and label them mentally ill. So we can incarcerate them. But we do this for our, collective safety - not theirs. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Trying to 'fix' them is a secondary concern.

Otherwise - let them bark and eat dog pellets for all I care.
Last edited by TimeSeeker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegetariantaxidermy

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:59 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:57 am What if a human thinks they are a dog? Would that be a mental disorder?

If it is impeding their ability to function in society and if they pose a threat to others or themselves - then yes.

Otherwise - let them bark and eat dog pellets.
Who said they shouldn't be able to?

Lately there has been a lot of publicity about 20-year-old Nano from Norway, who believes she is a cat trapped in a human body. She likes to crawl on all fours. She meows and she purrs. “Sometimes I hiss when meeting dogs on the street,” she says. She hates water and she wears ears, whiskers and a tail, full time. “I have been a cat all my life”, she says. “I realised I was a cat when I was 16 when doctors and psychologists found out what was the ‘thing’ with me. Under my birth was a genetic defect.” Respect!

And she is not alone. As a little look at YouTube reveals, there are plenty of others. There’s a student in Georgia who identifies as a penguin: “You can’t discriminate against someone by who they are,” he insists to the college authorities, comparing it to discrimination against Muslims. “This is me as a penguin, this isn’t a hood, this is my penguin head,” he says. “I’m a penguin trapped inside a human’s body, I just wanna be free with the penguins, I wish I could just march with them.

So how does that 'penguin-man' know what it feels like to be a penguin?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:02 am Who said they shouldn't be able to?
Absolutely nobody.

Are there really no other social issues that demand your precious time and attention than other people's penguin fettishes ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you want to have all these people committed on YOUR tax dollars? I sure don't.

I interviewed a guy in a chicken suit because he wanted to make sure he is judged on his merits not on his appearances. He got the job. At Google.

Let people be weird. Otherwise the world would be way too dull...
vegetariantaxidermy

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:05 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:02 am Who said they shouldn't be able to?
Absolutely nobody.

Are there really no other social issues that demand your precious time and attention than other people's penguin fettishes ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you want to have all these people committed on YOUR tax dollars? I sure don't.

I interviewed a guy in a chicken suit because he wanted to make sure he is judged on his merits not on his appearances. He got the job. At Google.

Let people be weird. Otherwise the world would be way too dull...
Work on your reading comprehension skills (and I can well believe that google employs 'whacky' people who wear chicken suits. I mean, it's that sort of 'hip, with it', whacky place isn't it?)
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
henry quirk

"let them bark and eat dog pellets for all I care."

Post by henry quirk »

I agree: leave the crazy person be (till he bites, then shoot him).
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 am Work on your reading comprehension skills.
My reading comprehension is on par. I even read between the lines. Like when you ask whether X would be a mental disorder.

One infers that you have some utility in mind for classifying things as 'mental disorders'. Otherwise why waste time/energy doing it?
vegetariantaxidermy

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:11 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 am Work on your reading comprehension skills.
My reading comprehension is on par. I even read between the lines. Like when you ask whether X would be a mental disorder.

One infers that you have some utility in mind for classifying things as 'mental disorders'. Otherwise why waste time/energy doing it?
Well, you would think that :roll:
henry quirk

"Work on your reading comprehension skills."

Post by henry quirk »

He won't...he's too busy lecturin' to do more than glance at what anyone else is posting.
TimeSeeker

Re: "let them bark and eat dog pellets for all I care."

Post by TimeSeeker »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:10 am I agree: leave the crazy person be (till he bites, then shoot him).
Just make sure you aren't making any errors in reasoning again...

If you mistook me for a crazy and tried to pull a gun on me you would soon figure out that I am an IPSC national champion, 15 years police veteran and have been in more gunfights than you ;)

The odds aren't on your side. That is why I am lecturing you...
Last edited by TimeSeeker on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

"I even read between the lines"

Post by henry quirk »

Mebbe just try readin' the lines...might not misunderstand so much, so often.
TimeSeeker

Re: "I even read between the lines"

Post by TimeSeeker »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 am Mebbe just try readin' the lines...might not misunderstand so much, so often.
I'll stick with my 6th sense - thanks ;)
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:12 am Well, you would think that :roll:
Then why even ask the question?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"If you mistook me for a crazy and tried to pull a gun on me you would soon figure out that I am an IPSC national champion, 15 years police veteran and have been in more gunfights than you"

See what I mean? You're not readin', just skimmin'.

I wasn't talkin' about 'you' but about veg's hypothetical person who thinks he's a dog.

As for your 'resume': I don't care.
Last edited by henry quirk on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.