What is the character of a woman?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

creativesoul

Re: What is the character of a woman?

Post by creativesoul »

The question presupposes that all women have the same character. They do not.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Systematic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 am Women are meek and mild, subservient creatures. Or so we've been led to believe. Apparently no one had asked the Russians before they became communist... What are your women like? Are they domicile like our women? Do they blindly believe or do they think? Nietzsche's fault lies in his sexism. Did the Jews trick the Romans and Greeks out of their paganism? Obviously. Were they wiser people before that happened? Definitely. But the Greeks had also had a rebellion against feminism before their religion solidified. That was the rebellion against female deity. Don't look into Medusa's eyes or else she will turn you into stone. In order to be a powerful man, you must be corrupt. In order to be corrupted, you need to let your woman call the shots. Marx was not a rebel against power or capitalism, He was a rebel against women. He tricked the Russians into overpowering their women in the name of communism. What would a world run by women be like? Depends on the time of the month. Not the time of the year.
That which is receptive, hence the confusion over the nature of women, they are strictly an extension of a culture. If one wants to under stand a people or culture, just look at the women. They are the foundation of civilization as they are its womb, literally and metaphorically.
-1-

Post by -1- »

creativesoul wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:01 pm The question presupposes that all women have the same character. They do not.
Well, okay, then, what about the character W.
Walker

Post by Walker »

This woman has a lot of character.
She must have a very strong mind.
She is a truth-teller, and because of that she says …

"Towards the end of the interview, Logan quipped, ‘This interview is professional suicide for me.’"

Lara Logan
https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/201 ... ther-side/

... which is a shame, seeing as how she is in the news business.
Systematic

Post by Systematic »

creativesoul wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:01 pm The question presupposes that all women have the same character. They do not.
Most people have some bias, hence the question. I don't mean that the character is fixed, but that, most people act as if it were.
IvoryBlackBishop

Post by IvoryBlackBishop »

Systematic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 am Women are meek and mild, subservient creatures. Or so we've been led to believe. Apparently no one had asked the Russians before they became communist... What are your women like? Are they domicile like our women? Do they blindly believe or do they think? Nietzsche's fault lies in his sexism. Did the Jews trick the Romans and Greeks out of their paganism? Obviously. Were they wiser people before that happened? Definitely. But the Greeks had also had a rebellion against feminism before their religion solidified. That was the rebellion against female deity. Don't look into Medusa's eyes or else she will turn you into stone. In order to be a powerful man, you must be corrupt. In order to be corrupted, you need to let your woman call the shots. Marx was not a rebel against power or capitalism, He was a rebel against women. He tricked the Russians into overpowering their women in the name of communism. What would a world run by women be like? Depends on the time of the month. Not the time of the year.
Per evolutionary psychology, there tend to be natural and inborn and unique tendencies in men and women, not as per many stereotypes (such as the idea that "men enjoy sex more than women"), but differences in how men and women's sex drive functions.

Regardless, obviously higher qualities in individual men and women, such as character, values, goals, ambitions, etc would likely vary quite a bit, and be much more nuanced; so on that I would recommend reading autobiographies.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

8-14 of the top questions on the main board right now involve women and gender questions.

Interesting, given the argument of some here that there is no "essence" of gender. (I'm not sure if the arguers are mostly male or mostly female; and for sure, they have no idea, since according to them, there's no essential way of them knowing).

So sad that so many people are asking question that, according to them, simply cannot be asked. :(
IvoryBlackBishop

I find that, in isolation, or abstracted from any meaningful context, most of the sexual generalizations are not particularly helpful or accurate.

The only common theme I've seen is one of polarities (e.x. yin yang), beyond that it's anyone's guess, or just a whole lot of simplistic folk wisdom or axioms.

Much as how, in isolation, the sexual traits and behaviors which define men and women in practice wouldn't come into play either.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm I find that, in isolation, or abstracted from any meaningful context, most of the sexual generalizations are not particularly helpful or accurate.
Well, IBB, are you:

a) male

b) female

c) I don't know, because "most of the sexual generalizations are not particularly helpful or accurate."

Well?
IvoryBlackBishop

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 am
IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm I find that, in isolation, or abstracted from any meaningful context, most of the sexual generalizations are not particularly helpful or accurate.
Well, IBB, are you:

a) male

b) female

c) I don't know, because "most of the sexual generalizations are not particularly helpful or accurate."

Well?
It's irrelevant to the question; there are similarities between men and women, biologically or otherwise, as well as differences, so any stance which treats these in some kind of mutual exclusivity is nonsense, and only exists that way in pure abstraction.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:46 pm
Well, IBB, are you:

a) male

b) female

Well?
It's irrelevant to the question; there are similarities between men and women, biologically or otherwise, as well as differences, so any stance which treats these in some kind of mutual exclusivity is nonsense, and only exists that way in pure abstraction.
So you don't know? It's c), you think? You don't know whether or not you're a man or a woman?

If you do know, it's a perfectly easy question to answer, and very relevant to which position you actually practice.

But I think you know that, and know it very well. I also understand why you wouldn't want to answer. But consider whether or not that's actually a good motive for not telling yourself the truth. And answer to yourself, if not to me.
IvoryBlackBishop

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:35 pm
Well, IBB, are you:

a) male

b) female

Well?
So you don't know? It's c), you think? You don't know whether or not you're a man or a woman?

If you do know, it's a perfectly easy question to answer, and very relevant to which position you actually practice.

But I think you know that, and know it very well. I also understand why you wouldn't want to answer. But consider whether or not that's actually a good motive for not telling yourself the truth. And answer to yourself, if not to me.
The question you asked is irrelevant to the issue; whether or not one is a man or a woman, both sexes will have similar traits and different traits, so claiming that there are "no difference" or "no similarities" would both be absurd and extremist assertions.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

The question you asked is irrelevant to the issue;
It is not.
whether or not one is a man or a woman, both sexes will have similar traits and different traits,

What do you mean by "will have different and similar traits"?

Do you mean that there are no specific traits at all that make us able to tell when a man is a man, or a woman is a woman? That's not true, obviously, since men and women do, in fact, all the time figure out how to do that. But I'll hear you out, if you actually think there's no way to differentiate the sexes.

Or are you merely that all people are all different in some way? But if it's the latter, it's so trivial as to be utterly unimpressive as an observation. You need not have bothered saying it. Any two objects in the whole universe are "different," and yet we tell them apart all the time, and form categories into which we are able to put them, and so on.

So maybe you mean something like, "Some men act effeminate, and some women act more masculine." And again, that's true but trivial. You're still aware of the two categories, in that case, and must be using some criteria to ascertain them.

So it can only be the first. If it's that, then the right answer is c) -- you don't know whether or not you personally are a man or a woman, because you have no way of telling.

Really? :shock:
IvoryBlackBishop

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:36 pm

It is not.
whether or not one is a man or a woman, both sexes will have similar traits and different traits,

Do you mean that there are no specific traits at all that make us able to tell when a man is a man, or a woman is a woman? That's not true, obviously, since men and women do, in fact, all the time figure out how to do that. But I'll hear you out, if you actually think there's no way to differentiate the sexes.

Or are you merely that all people are all different in some way? But if it's the latter, it's so trivial as to be utterly unimpressive as an observation. You need not have bothered saying it. Any two objects in the whole universe are "different," and yet we tell them apart all the time, and form categories into which we are able to put them, and so on.

So maybe you mean something like, "Some men act effeminate, and some women act more masculine." And again, that's true but trivial. You're still aware of the two categories, in that case, and must be using some criteria to ascertain them.

So it can only be the first. If it's that, then the right answer is c) -- you don't know whether or not you personally are a man or a woman, because you have no way of telling.

I think you misunderstand me; claiming that the difference and similarities within men and women don't "co-exist" is false.

A man has XY chromosomes, a woman XX chromosomes; both men and women have opposable thumbs, etc.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

IvoryBlackBishop wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:47 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:36 pm
It is not.

I think you misunderstand me; claiming that the difference and similarities within men and women don't "co-exist" is false.
It's hard to understand you when your wording is ambiguous. What do you mean "co-exists"? What do you mean "differences and similarities," or "within"?

You don't spell out your view in words that cannot have double meanings. So you can expect to be misunderstood by any reader.

But this you know: there are only two alternatives: EITHER there is some way of telling the essential difference between a man and a woman, OR there is not any such way. Which do you mean?
A man has XY chromosomes, a woman XX chromosomes; both men and women have opposable thumbs, etc.
Then what you mean is that there IS a way to tell a man from a woman, and that way is chromosomes. You are a gender essentialist.

So you do know whether you are a man or a woman. Which are you?