A knot of sexist logic in the Western mind

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Duncan Butlin

A knot of sexist logic in the Western mind

Post by Duncan Butlin »

I would like to propose that the following narrative has tied up the Western mind to such an extent that we can no longer think clearly about the relationship between the sexes. Please see if you go along with it.

An argument for fair treatment between the sexes

It is wrong to distinguish male from female logic — there are no proven differences. Men in particular should be careful not to talk about female logic, in case we offend women as we have done in the past. But men certainly should not control women, so, if women feel they would like to talk about male logic, we should not prevent them from doing so — women’s intuition might provide important insights.

On occasion, women will need to be quite critical of male logic, to get their point across — so men must be careful not to respond harshly, or they will frighten them into silence. It is good that women can spot men’s errors — particularly the flaws in their logic about how to treat women — and it is proper that they should keep on complaining vigorously, until things are put right.

Accordingly, relations between the sexes should improve, as women continue to point out the differences between female and male logic, until eventually the world will be filled with polite, non-discriminating men — totally under the control of abusive, sexist women.

Almost every sentence of the above is shot through with subtle, illogical bias against men, but few people notice. It is hard to believe, but this logic has all but taken over the Western world.
Arising_uk

Re: A knot of sexist logic in the Western mind

Post by Arising_uk »

Ho! Ho! Duncan. So they've let you out at last? :D
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Yes, but I risk going back in again. Have to be careful. What do you think of my narrative? I sent it to Jacques Derrida in 1998 and he was impressed.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Duncan Butlin wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 pm Almost every sentence of the above is shot through with subtle, illogical bias against men, but few people notice. It is hard to believe, but this logic has all but taken over the Western world.
That's your idea of "subtle", is it?
You're earnestly invited to Thursday poker night. Bring lots of cash.
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Hi Skip. No, I guess it ain't so subtle -- I was trying to be kind to all those who are fooled by it. I've only showed it to about 15 people, but each one was startled by the final eight words. In other words they'd pretty much gone along with the logic up to then,
Skip

Post by Skip »

I guess you hang out with some pretty dumb people.
That piece of crappy propaganda shouldn't fool anyone.
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Skip, you are right, it should not fool anyone (I call it a ‘knot of female logic’, being bad logic that benefits women), but I am afraid more people than you suspect are taken in. Think of what happens to men who make negative comments about female nature -- they get the sack (Larry Summers, James Damore). Think about what happens to women who make negative comments about male nature -- in Women’s Studies they get promoted. I honestly think this bad thinking is at the heart of the feminists’ success. I have not yet worked out what a ‘knot of male logic’ looks like. Full of imperatives, I guess.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Duncan Butlin wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:32 pm I have not yet worked out what a ‘knot of male logic’ looks like. Full of imperatives, I guess.
Read the Old Testament. Then look in the mirror.
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Please point out my own bad logic.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Duncan Butlin wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 pm Please point out my own bad logic.
Who said it was bad? You asked
I have not yet worked out what a ‘knot of male logic’ looks like. Full of imperatives, I guess.
It's male. It's a tight, kinky little knot.
It looks like the patriarchal notion of gender-isolation, and you sure can't beat the Old testament for imperatives.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

biology will correct itself through evolution... or sooner through shotguns

-Imp
Greta

Post by Greta »

Duncan Butlin wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 pmAlmost every sentence of the above is shot through with subtle, illogical bias against men ...
Nope, the assertions were jarring from the outset and later on veered towards the grotesque.

Fail. Sorry. Try again. Next time at least try to be a little bit realistic. Thank you.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Duncan Butlin wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 pm I would like to propose that the following narrative has tied up the Western mind to such an extent that we can no longer think clearly about the relationship between the sexes. Please see if you go along with it.
It sounded out-of-balance to me from the start. And the CONCLUSION of bias against men around the world, without acknowledging the bias against women around the world, is also out-of-balance.

We can pick a particular perspective/narrative and ignore others in order to make a one-sided claim... and that's just not the full truth. Yes, men are being blasted for all kinds of crap that male domination has perpetrated -- and there will be innocents who get caught up and unfairly suffer destroyed lives in the process. It's awful. Just as it's awful that so many innocent female lives have been unfairly destroyed in the process of male domination for eons, and women are still widely treated as if they are inferior.

It seems that there's a re-balancing going on, and it may swing extreme in the process. It's like a natural reckoning... and there will be casualties. I don't think we should forget or ignore what has led up to the need for re-balancing. How are we to notice and evolve the horrific nature of such ongoing and gross imbalance unless its toxicity very noticeably destroys the models/structures that have supported/perpetuated it? One group of people should not subjugate another group. Men (in large numbers) have seemed intent on doing this throughout history. It's primitively short-sighted, and worse: it's without soul. Nature has ways of re-balancing toxicity and faults... eventually... and I'm encouraged to think that we may be evolving toward broader understanding and potential.
Duncan Butlin

Post by Duncan Butlin »

Skip wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 pm
Duncan Butlin wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 pm Please point out my own bad logic.
Who said it was bad?
Skip, I’m sorry -- I did not explain enough. I believe there is good logic, following all the rules, that is gender neutral. I then think there is bad logic, breaking the rules, which, when it is in support of women I call female logic, when it is in support of men I call male logic. So when you said I ought to look in the mirror for some male logic I thought you were accusing me of bad logic. I apologise.
Greta wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:08 am
Duncan Butlin wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 pmAlmost every sentence of the above is shot through with subtle, illogical bias against men ...
Nope, the assertions were jarring from the outset and later on veered towards the grotesque.

Fail. Sorry. Try again. Next time at least try to be a little bit realistic. Thank you.
Greta, I’m sorry I did not impress you. Can you come up with a rationale for the current gross imbalance against men?
Lacewing wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:45 am
Duncan Butlin wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 pm I would like to propose that the following narrative has tied up the Western mind to such an extent that we can no longer think clearly about the relationship between the sexes. Please see if you go along with it.
It sounded out-of-balance to me from the start. And the CONCLUSION of bias against men around the world, without acknowledging the bias against women around the world, is also out-of-balance.
Lacewing, can you see what you have done? You have accused me of imbalance for forgetting about the women’s point-of-view (true, that was my intent); you have made a valiant attempt at appearing balanced yourself in your second paragraph; only to reveal your true colours in the third paragraph with an all-out attack on men. Where is your all-out attack on women?

You attack men under cover of a balanced, impartial approach, whereas I simply attack women, as logically and politely as I can. Whose is the more honest, truthful approach? You believe in the patriarchy, toxicity and male dominance; I believe in sex-denial, a sharp tongue and female dominance. Why don’t we simply enjoy the fight out in the open?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Duncan Butlin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 am Lacewing, can you see what you have done?
Yes... and I rather enjoyed it. :) Do you see what you have done?
Duncan Butlin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 amYou believe in the patriarchy, toxicity and male dominance
Yes, I see that truth in life. Do you see it too?
Duncan Butlin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 amI believe in sex-denial, a sharp tongue and female dominance
I can see that too, however I don't see it as the same type of comparison. Bad attitudes are not the same as oppression. And I was responding to what you said -- I wasn't attempting to make up some Universal tally sheet. If you don't recognize the severe imbalance of male domination and its relentless and ongoing effects on countless populations (as opposed to a woman's potential behavior in a relationship), then you're mixing up your "stuff" with your agenda and promoting it as some sort of insight.
Duncan Butlin wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 amWhy don’t we simply enjoy the fight out in the open?
Bring it on. :) I think your argument needs to encompass broader truth, if truth is what you're interested in.