"Feminism"?

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
QuantumT
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Contact:

"Feminism"?

Post by QuantumT »

Gender equality is the only right thing. Just like race equality! There should be no question about it.
Men and women are equals. Africans, asians, arabs, europeans and native americans are also!

So why name an equality movement after one of the sexes? I don't feel like a feminist. I don't want the title as one.

I think it's a stupid name that begs to be misunderstood!
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4128
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by Lacewing »

I agree. I think it shows how out-of-balance a culture is when it has to label and harshly define the counter-balance. It would be more appropriate to call it "The Reckoning". :D If we were truly intelligent beings, there would be no question about equality for all.

A large percentage of old white men have done extensive damage and perpetuated a lot of primitive overbearing stupidity. Most of them probably didn't know any better because that's the mentality they were taught. Even now, they carry on like mindless zombies sucking the life out of everyone else on their way to the grave. They don't have a clue about anything beyond their own needs and ego. Some of my wonderful male friends are completely disgusted by it too. That old mindset appears to be evolving -- I hope so -- it's none too soon!
User avatar
Sir-Sister-of-Suck
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 am

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

The typical argument would be that women are specifically more discriminated against, and hence feminism addresses that imbalance of treatment by being 'the advocacy of women's rights'.
User avatar
QuantumT
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by QuantumT »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 pm The typical argument would be that women are specifically more discriminated against, and hence feminism addresses that imbalance of treatment by being 'the advocacy of women's rights'.
That would make parental equalism: Fathernism :mrgreen:
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:14 pm I agree. I think it shows how out-of-balance a culture is when it has to label and harshly define the counter-balance. It would be more appropriate to call it "The Reckoning". :D If we were truly intelligent beings, there would be no question about equality for all.

A large percentage of old white men have done extensive damage and perpetuated a lot of primitive overbearing stupidity. Most of them probably didn't know any better because that's the mentality they were taught. Even now, they carry on like mindless zombies sucking the life out of everyone else on their way to the grave. They don't have a clue about anything beyond their own needs and ego. Some of my wonderful male friends are completely disgusted by it too. That old mindset appears to be evolving -- I hope so -- it's none too soon!
There are plenty of vile 'old white women' too. As a matter of fact old people are generally the ones with manners, don't bully other road users, don't fuck up the planet with 'must have' tech gadgets that get discarded into landfills after a couple of months, don't tend to be self-absorbed fuck-heads, don't take endless 'selfies', don't talk in bullshit-speak jargon, don't pretend to be 'up-beat' and 'positive', can spell and use grammar correctly, and don't play thought-policing self-righteous holier-than-thou 'do as I say but not as I do'ers.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

And all people are NOT equal. We have (should have) equal rights--a measurable concept. But saying that 'all people are equal' is meaningless. 'Equal' in what way? You might as well say 'All people are the same size'. Why not, 'All people are mammals'?
'All people are equal in the eyes of the law', is a concept that is tangible and provable.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4128
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by Lacewing »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 pm...
Oh look, the spider has come out of her hole to see what vibrated her web.

I'm not going to respond to you Veggie any more than this when you're so intent on biting poison into anything that crosses your path. You're meanness clouds your clarity. You're losing/distorting context, apparently because you just want an excuse to jump on me (or anyone). Fuck off.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:10 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16 pm...
Oh look, the spider has come out of her hole to see what vibrated her web.

I'm not going to respond to you Veggie any more than this when you're so intent on biting poison into anything that crosses your path. You're meanness clouds your clarity. You're losing/distorting context, apparently because you just want an excuse to jump on me (or anyone). Fuck off.
So no counterargument then, only personal insults. How untypical of the PC :roll:
Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by Skip »

QuantumT wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 pm So why name an equality movement after one of the sexes?
Because the equality has been so absent for so long that it needed a movement, just to make people notice that there was something wrong. As soon as equality is established, the movement loses it purpose and ceases to exist.
I'm quite looking forward to a time when no group of people is discriminated-against and there is no more need of movements to fight for anyone's right to be considered a member in good standing of the human race.
But I don't think I'll live that long. I don't think any of you will, either.
User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3351
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by HexHammer »

QuantumT wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 pmGender equality is the only right thing. Just like race equality! There should be no question about it.
Men and women are equals. Africans, asians, arabs, europeans and native americans are also!
Ignorant and not too bright.
There are PLENTY of equality, but it shouldn't be forced too much.

1) women in jobs and sports usually wants equal pay like the men, just that women usually doesn't have the cognitive abilities to do the same as men, or have the same natural leadership or authority.
There's a reason why sports are gender divided, because they simply don't have neither the physical skills nor the mental skills.

Even on women's home turf like cosmetics, men win.

2) natural discrimination a man shouldn't get a job in a woman's lingerie shop, helping women getting dressed with difficult underwear. Unfortunately the equality office isn't very bright and will rule in favor of the discriminated man that wanted a job there, so the shop is fined, which is wrong!

3) denial of reality many can't cope with reality thus will blame wrong people and wrong situations. Feminists has tried to take over movies, Marvel Comics, games etc etc, but they deliver a bland experience with poorly written script, poor acting etc, but they blame everybody else than themselves! They refused to see that they are their own problem!
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

HexHammer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:36 am
QuantumT wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 pmGender equality is the only right thing. Just like race equality! There should be no question about it.
Men and women are equals. Africans, asians, arabs, europeans and native americans are also!
Ignorant and not too bright.
There are PLENTY of equality, but it shouldn't be forced too much.

1) women in jobs and sports usually wants equal pay like the men, just that women usually doesn't have the cognitive abilities to do the same as men, or have the same natural leadership or authority.
There's a reason why sports are gender divided, because they simply don't have neither the physical skills nor the mental skills.

Even on women's home turf like cosmetics, men win.

2) natural discrimination a man shouldn't get a job in a woman's lingerie shop, helping women getting dressed with difficult underwear. Unfortunately the equality office isn't very bright and will rule in favor of the discriminated man that wanted a job there, so the shop is fined, which is wrong!

3) denial of reality many can't cope with reality thus will blame wrong people and wrong situations. Feminists has tried to take over movies, Marvel Comics, games etc etc, but they deliver a bland experience with poorly written script, poor acting etc, but they blame everybody else than themselves! They refused to see that they are their own problem!
:lol: You will get done for 'hate-speech' for that.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Skip wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:16 am
QuantumT wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 pm So why name an equality movement after one of the sexes?
Because the equality has been so absent for so long that it needed a movement, just to make people notice that there was something wrong. As soon as equality is established, the movement loses it purpose and ceases to exist.
I'm quite looking forward to a time when no group of people is discriminated-against and there is no more need of movements to fight for anyone's right to be considered a member in good standing of the human race.
But I don't think I'll live that long. I don't think any of you will, either.
Most humans are simply not intelligent enough to sensibly put 'equality' into practice, hence the hijacking of it by ''Progressive'' extremist thought-police truth-hating fuckwits. Humans are not all the same, with the same values, beliefs, customs, priorities, abilities, mind-sets...That's not going to change.
User avatar
HexHammer
Posts: 3351
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by HexHammer »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:57 am :lol: You will get done for 'hate-speech' for that.
For not-so-bright-people and narcissists, truth is indeed hate speech and must be punished the harshest way possible! ..this is exactly why humanity rarely progress very far, we would have flown spaceships thousands of years ago if people would listen to criticism.
Skip
Posts: 2553
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by Skip »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:01 am Most humans are simply not intelligent enough to sensibly put 'equality' into practice, hence the hijacking of it by ''Progressive'' extremist thought-police truth-hating fuckwits. Humans are not all the same, with the same values, beliefs, customs, priorities, abilities, mind-sets...That's not going to change.
Some people are always treated unfairly and eventually grow sick of taking it, so they organize to change the laws.
Laws do change. Woman are allowed to have their own property now, marry whomever they choose, even without their fathers' consent, and join the army (though god knows why they'd want to!). Maybe not equality, but it's a couple of steps up from chastity belts.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 9228
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: "Feminism"?

Post by Immanuel Can »

QuantumT wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 pm Gender equality is the only right thing. Just like race equality! There should be no question about it.
Men and women are equals. Africans, asians, arabs, europeans and native americans are also!

So why name an equality movement after one of the sexes? I don't feel like a feminist. I don't want the title as one.

I think it's a stupid name that begs to be misunderstood!
I realize it's very PC to say, "Everyone is equal, and nobody can ask questions." And I know that anyone who does is quickly supposed to have some agenda (racist, sexist, etc.) for even raising a question. However, the truth of the matter is that one might well ask the question if one were a convinced egalitarian...for perhaps you might want to discover the best defense for the belief. That seems a noble goal.

And since we're doing philosophy here, we might well ask, "What is meant by 'equal'?"

The importance of this question can hardly be understated, since the "no question about it" durability of our belief in "equality," will be determined by how rational that belief is. We can only believe thoroughly in what we have a justification for believing.

So what makes us all so certain that everyone, regardless of sex, "race," intelligence, income, culture, age, health, education, wit, accomplishments, actions, lifestyle, morals, popularity, and so on are all in some durable sense unquestionably deserving of "equality"? What demonstrates the belief in "equality" to be rational? On what firm basis do we hold this confident assumption?
Post Reply